PDA

View Full Version : Guess what landed on my doormat while I was away . ..

FFP
12th Oct 2006, 18:14
A nice shiny green ATPL !!!

Here's the cost.

Class 1 medical = £125 from Med Centre
Exams = £770 (!)
BGS = £380
Civ IRT = £635
ATPL itself = £210
CRP5, Accom = £390
Selling Mod 2
books and = -£170
Jeppesen Manual
Total amount = £2340

Time to complete = One year
Leave taken = 30 days

Now need a new goal that my professional knowledge has been increased....;)

Feel free to PM for any details. To answer most questions

1) Well worth it.
2) Do it early and don't hope for the 2000 hrs. The ground tour will come when you reach 900 captain hours
3) Exams not hard but time consuming and like being back at school
4) Bristol Ground School. Everytime. No doubt.

DownloadDog
12th Oct 2006, 18:35
Totally agree, am in the process of obtaining mine too.

My costs were:

1) Bristol Ground School package £1900 for both modules, used £1000 of Enhanced Learning Credits to help.
2) Exams are now £60 each, with 14 exams to do, £840.
3) Stay at Henlow while sitting the exams at Silsoe University (Approx £5 for 4 nights B+B).
4) Use Standard Learning Credits to pay towards exams £175, plus a travel claim there and back.
5) Class 1 cost me £40 at Med Centre + £29 to CAA for inspecting my ECG.
6) Doing ME/IR at Flightpass, it's going to cost approx £6000, while staying at Lympstone (cheap B+B)
7) Chah Ching ATPL.
8) Oh and Bristol Bristol Bristol Bristol Bristol.

FFP, where did you sell your Mod 2 notes and Jep manual?

FFP
12th Oct 2006, 18:38
Mod 2 notes to a French guy staying at my accomodation who already had an FAA ATPL and was converting it. Didn't want to pay the BGS £80 per manual, so sold it for £40 x 4.

Jeppesen went on E Bay for a tenner.

Did IRT on current type so avoided the Single Pilot IFR Seneca wrestling course

Didn't know about the SLC for exams. Bugger !

DownloadDog
12th Oct 2006, 18:51
I'm sure you can still apply for the SLC even now, as well as a travel claim there and back. I did mine in 2 separate financial years and thus can make 2, one for each module.

Cheers for the reply!

seven4mankind
12th Oct 2006, 20:30
Download Dog,

Much the same, but my Class 1 Medical cost £478.00 at Gatwick - may be worth letting folk know where you can save over £400.00!!:{

DownloadDog
12th Oct 2006, 23:13
If you go to any RAF flying station, you'll find that the SMO (in my case one of the civilian docs) should be able to issue a JAA Class 1 medical, thus avoiding the need to go to Gatwick. You will be required to have a blood test before hand, again the doc will know which one is required. I forgot that I had to pay for an eye test at a local opticians, but this cost no more than £30. You will also need an ECG, this can be done by the med centre, but this has to be sent to the CAA for inspection at a cost of £29. It's a simple case of renewing it in line with your PME. Although I intend to get it renewed again on the day I leave to get maximum benefit.

tier2commando
13th Oct 2006, 08:02
you could have used your £2000 learning credits also , would have been virtually free.

FFP
13th Oct 2006, 08:17
you could have used your £2000 learning credits also , would have been virtually free.

Until 2008, it's only £1000 per financial year, up to 80%. Can't be used for the exams. Best way is to split it over 2 financial years, £880 for module 1 (£220 personal cont) and £640 for module 2 (£160 personal cont).

You wouldn't benefit by waiting till 2008 for the £2000 limit. Best to save that for something that costs £2400 :ok:

DownloadDog
13th Oct 2006, 08:46
Don't forget the chest x-ray for initial medical! CAA list here.

If you have a current aircrew medical your chest x-ray taken at Cranditz when you joined will be sufficient. I did not have to have another chest x-ray when I got my initial Class 1 medical.

I've used £1000 of ELC towards my ground exams, a £1000 (ELC) towards my IR at an approved ELC provider (Flightpass), and will be using a £1000 (ELC) towards my MCC (Location TBD). I can't be bothered waiting until 2008 for the £2000 ELC as I want to leave earlier before every Bu$$er else joins the airlines and those of us stupid enough to stay in have to work even harder!

MrBernoulli
13th Oct 2006, 10:33
Not ALL SMOs or RAF doctors are certified to do CAA/JAR medicals ....... at least they were not when I did mine. Make sure you tee it up with a doc who IS certified. Don't forget to be willing to donate something to the med centre tea bar/Christmas party fund to 'oil' the wheels of the process as some med centres can only do this stuff 'after hours'. Take the effort to be nice to them and it can be a a relatively simple process to get an initial/renewal done.

seven4mankind
13th Oct 2006, 17:36
My SMO at the time couldn't do them and wasn't interested. My Civilian Doc was certified but maxed, doing them when she could and grumpy as hell. Having said that, when I saw the shed load of paperwork to make me fit as a military pilot, I can't say I could blame her:sad:

will fly for food 06
3rd Nov 2006, 15:58
Lots of good stuff here, thanks. Wow when you use the search option you find so much more than if you annoyed everyone by posting again. I am interested in more help trying to convert if anyone can help.

FFP
3rd Nov 2006, 16:00
What's your position ? Hours, aircraft type etc ?

will fly for food 06
3rd Nov 2006, 16:07
Thanks FPP, you have PM.