PDA

View Full Version : Life after the PPL

Seagull61
12th Oct 2006, 16:12
I`ve just completed my PPL (application sent off today!).

Once the pooh brown wallets back I`m planning on joining the local club and hour building and improving my flying that way, I can also get my seaplane rating there which I plan to do.

I`m also thinking along the lines of aerobatics training, complex checkout or bush flying and have looked on the web, trouble is there are so many places abroad offering this, that and the other (abroad would be my preference as I`m in Norway at the moment).....

So if has anyone got any positive experiences of schools abroad that offer those types of courses i`d like to hear about them.

Thanks

Glasgow_Flyer
12th Oct 2006, 21:17
Well done in gettin the PPL!!

Jack Brown's sea planes in Florida comes to mind for your sea plane licence - and while you are out there you can do advanced unusual attitude recovery at Winter Haven - and loads of aerobatic stuff too!

Have fun with it - and keep the hours up!!

XL319
12th Oct 2006, 22:54
I have to say i have a BIG bee in my bonnet about FTO's who charge over the odd's for a captive market. Fair enough i appreciate that it's an exspensive business, but my local school charges an extra £5 ph to non members and charges a "joining fee" of £75 on top of the membership fee which i find crazy. I'm sure i speak across the board....

At the end of the day why do they insist on a joining fee? When your going to be putting money into the school by renting their a/c!!!!:ugh:

My advice is group share...cheaper!!!

Tim_CPL
13th Oct 2006, 01:34
One of the best things you can do to improve your safety and understanding of aircraft handling is to go on an aircraft unusual attitudes/upset recovery course - Spins and simple aeros. You will probably get a tailwheel endorsement out of it....

- Tim

Seagull61
13th Oct 2006, 06:42
Thanks guys.

I`m kinda fortunate here, as we have a Seaplane at our club, so am definately going to get that rating.

An unusal attitue/aerobatics course is certianly up my street, but the main one i`m interested in is the bush flying course.

Thanks again

shortstripper
13th Oct 2006, 07:06
I see your location is here in the UK .... Just which bit of "Bush" were you thinking of flying into? ;)

SS

Seagull61
13th Oct 2006, 07:34
Good spot...need to update that. Am based in Norway now. Not much in the way of bush, but plenty of fjords to land into!

gcolyer
13th Oct 2006, 08:11
I have to say i have a BIG bee in my bonnet about FTO's who charge over the odd's for a captive market. Fair enough i appreciate that it's an exspensive business, but my local school charges an extra £5 ph to non members and charges a "joining fee" of £75 on top of the membership fee which i find crazy. I'm sure i speak across the board....

At the end of the day why do they insist on a joining fee? When your going to be putting money into the school by renting their a/c!!!!:ugh:

My advice is group share...cheaper!!!

I think the joining fee/membership fee goes to things like:

Gas
Water
Electricity
Licensing
Staffing

Blah blah blah

And I think the hourly AC charge covers the AC running costs plus a contingency kitty.

Zulu Alpha
13th Oct 2006, 09:58
Try Aerobatics, it will sharpen your flying skills so that even if you don't continue then you will be a better pilot. Many people find it addictive and continue.
See
http://www.aerobatics.org.uk/
for more details.
There are a number of UK schools listed there but if you can't find what you need then pm me.