PDA

View Full Version : Acne!

Smile!!!
11th Oct 2006, 20:26
I was just wondering if anyone knew of a good acne cure for me. Im 36 years old and have suffered terribley since i was 14.:ok:

Thanks for any information:)

Zapatas Blood
12th Oct 2006, 04:54
I suffered until about 31 and found roacutane to be the sollution.

Not sure if it is spelt correctly?

It dries the skin out terribly but it IS manageable by using a thin smear of parafin wax on the face. Your doctor should be able to help with managing the dryness but it does clear it up.

ChocksAwayUK
12th Oct 2006, 07:28
Yup, Roaccutane is the stuff you need. Though it does come with side effects, most notably that you'll have very dry skin for a few weeks. It is also often in the spotlight for causing depression and suicide and has been mentioned as the cause for that private pilot flying his light aircraft into a building in the US a couple of years ago. (there you go, aviation related). But I don't know...aren't spotty teenagers supposed to be depressed?

OPSQUEEN
12th Oct 2006, 08:01
I can remember having a cream made up by the Skin Hospital which composed of Sulphur and Salycilic Acid. Stinks a bit but it works (and didn't have too much of a drying out effect). Has to be prescribed by a Dermatologist though, but the Salycilic Acid I think is the important ingredient.

blue up
12th Oct 2006, 08:46
Human saliva. Think about the environment it lives in. Manages to keep down the worst of infection in a hot and humid cake-hole. May have been an "Olde Wifes Tale" but maybe worth a try?

Human urine is also a totally sterile fluid, but let's not go there!!:ooh:

Buster Hyman
12th Oct 2006, 08:59
Are you volunteering to lick Smile!!!, blue up???:eek:

frostbite
12th Oct 2006, 12:04
Spitting into the wind should cover that then.

spork
12th Oct 2006, 12:22
I would have thought in view of the length of time you’ve suffered this problem that maybe a detox diet would be an idea. See a dietician though, don’t just wing it. (aviation reference there) Also, although doctors are great at recommending this that and the other, sometimes there’s a cure in simplicity. Quite possibly good basic hygiene and a simple cream like Vaseline Intensive Care? (the DermaCare white one, not the yellow scented one)

One frequent problem I’ve noticed with spotty people is the amount of time their hands spend on the infected area. I know it’s tempting to pick and to touch etc, but the hands are seldom very clean and it can’t help to be in that habit.

No criticism whatsoever is intended with the above, just hope some of this might help! :)

Defenestrator
12th Oct 2006, 13:58
Asked the missus. She has a couple of friends that thank the Lord for this stuff. Apparently it's a 3 step process, 1st. wash ......blah blah blah. But seriously give it a go. Apparently works miracles.

:)

Smile!!!
12th Oct 2006, 17:55
Ive just started using Clear Complxion which ive heard is quite good, though ive heard that about others. Anywat Thanks for the replys.

modtinbasher
12th Oct 2006, 19:05
Go see your ground peeps and get some trichloroethane, works a treat! No, do not put your head in the trich bath, dab it on neat!

gingernut
12th Oct 2006, 21:28
Smile!! :) Yes there are some very good cures for acne, or at least ways of controlling it. With all due respect to my fellow jet blasters, you might find it more helpful to visit a quack, who can make a proper assessment, and treat/refer you appropiately.

The treatments are very good, but they have to be directed according to what's found on examination.

Elixir
12th Oct 2006, 22:07
If you need to keep up a Class One, be careful with Roaccutane as it can affect your night vision over time. A friend of mine had a problem getting his medical as he's got a history of using Roaccutane. It also makes your lips, eyes and skin very dry and your skin becomes photosensitive. It's a pretty strong drug and usually used as a last resort when nothing else works. It is a derivative of Vitamin A.

My sister was on it for a while though and really cleared up her skin, however it takes a while to work (for her about 4 months to see a difference) but keeps working after the course is finished.

However I find for a one off spot, toothpaste is fantastic! Literally disappears overnight.