PDA

View Full Version : IMC Simulator choice for PC

Manfred V R
11th Oct 2006, 13:03
I fly a PA28-180 and have just begun IMC training. Suggestions please on choice of a suitable simulator to buy that will allow useful, realistic practice. I would like features to include NDB and VOR tracking, approaches, holds, limited panel and unusual recovery use. An added bonus would be its ability to spring nasty surprises eg Vac pump failure.
Thoughts on associated hardware also would be appreciated. Thanks.

Confabulous
11th Oct 2006, 14:24
www.x-plane.com

I've used it for years, very good simulator, very customisable, you can even redesign the PA-28 if you think it's not performing the way you want. Great sim.

gcolyer
11th Oct 2006, 15:30
I havent tried it but i hear RANT is the dog's danglies.

gijoe
11th Oct 2006, 15:41
RAnt is more of a technical teaching tool to improve someones understanding of how all of the navaids work and how you are positioned in relation to them to give you the picture. Situational awareness stuff more than anything else.

For good hands on stuff, Microsoft Pro 2004 is good. Even better with a stick and pedals.

X-plane is good as well but the real key question is budget and cost.

It may be worth waiting to see what the new MS FS is like.

G

Final 3 Greens
11th Oct 2006, 15:53
Manfred

I recommend the PA28-180.

No PC based sim can give you the real thing.

Longbow55
11th Oct 2006, 15:55
I used ASA IP trainer, and afterwards now I use ASA on-top 8 like both.

derekf
11th Oct 2006, 16:14
RANT is really really good for getting you to understand the concepts of what you're doing without concentrating on flying the plane.

In my early IMC training when I'd struggled with NDB holds and approaches I'd come back and use RANT with the same winds and the same tracks I'd flown and it really helped understand what went wrong and more importantly why.

I'd suggest that even if you do get something else, that you really should consider RANT. Demo available from http://www.oddsoft.com/

Derek...

18greens
11th Oct 2006, 16:41
Manfred
I recommend the PA28-180.
No PC based sim can give you the real thing.

Though it hurts me to say it I think you are wrong. Sadly pilots who flight sim are usually pretty good at Instrument Flight and I always do a couple of hours on Fs2002 myself before IR tests to freshen up the memory.

Its no substitute for the real thing but it is more close than the price difference should make it.

Oh and RANT is great for simulating ADF DIP

justinmg
11th Oct 2006, 17:41
X-Plane 8. Much better value than MSFS. There is a good support community, you can adjust the aircraft panels to look like the one you fly in real life, with the same equipment, the flight modeling is more accurate than FS2004, you can get photographic scenery for a fraction of the price, etc.
You can not get airport addons anyway, but for IMC practice who cares?

englishal
11th Oct 2006, 17:57
To be honest, MS Flight Sim or X Plane are the best for getting to grips with radio nav. I tried RANT many years ago and didn't like it much. Would have been good in the classroom with an instructor there but I prefered FS / X plane.......

mad_bear
12th Oct 2006, 08:38
Another vote for X-Plane, which has the inestimable benefit of a Linux version :)

Bahn-Jeaux
12th Oct 2006, 08:41
I have FS2004 but was wondering about the other offerings.#Might be tempted to give X Plane a go now.

What sort of aircraft are available, I got the PA28 for 2004 but it was an outside offering and didnt perform very well at all.

rustle
12th Oct 2006, 08:47
I got the PA28 for 2004 but it was an outside offering and didnt perform very well at all.
What did you expect? It models a PA28 ;) :}

TheOddOne
12th Oct 2006, 09:03
When I was doing my rating initially 15 or so years ago I did some time up at Wycombe in their Frasca simulator. I think it was £20 an hour, with an instructor. Advantages are that a) you get some professional help and b) you're sitting in front of a real panel with instruments that jiggle around in a realistic manner. dunno if they still offer that sort of thing but I found it really useful for sorting out NDB holds etc. I certainly must have got quite a bit out of it 'cos I felt really kn*ckered after an hour at it!

I'd still prefer that over a PC-based simulator.

The real advantage of a sim over the real thing is that you can just concentrate on getting procedures right without feeling sick etc. Thus you can get the maximum benefit out of the flying time you need to do.

I'd say you definitely need to do the unusual attitudes bit in the a/c so that you can get all the sensory impressions embedded in your muscle memory.

Cheers,
The Odd One

drauk
12th Oct 2006, 14:10
I'd like to teach someone who has never been in a light aircraft to fly (IMC-style) using X-Plane, then take them up to see how they get on. I suppose it would have to be someone with no PPL aspirations, since I might mess up their head. But I think it would be an interesting experiment.

Manfred V R
12th Oct 2006, 15:38
Thank you one and all for your contributions. I will take a close look at X-Plane & Rant.
Mad Bear - What is Linux and what are the benefits?
Odd One - There is a FRASCA for sale in Pilot Mag this month - comes in its own portacabin. Now that on the front lawn would give the Joneses a run for their money! I think as you that a sim should give better value to the flying time. Thanks
Justinmg - You say no airport add ons. What is in the standard pack?

Manfred V R

Manfred V R
12th Oct 2006, 16:59
Thank you one and all for your help. I will take a close look now at Rant and X-Plane. Manfred

justinmg
12th Oct 2006, 20:23
When I say no airport add ons, that means the photo realistic airports. All the usual ones are there, and you can actually add your own using world maker, including adding your own navaids etc. I have added NDBs etc.