PDA

View Full Version : Hotel Information, can you help?

Dodgy Boy
11th Oct 2006, 11:02
My family and I are passing through HK in Feb. We have a 30 hour layover there and would like to use the opportunity to have a quick look around.
On that note could I ask for some recomendations on where to stay (location wise) and for advice on which hotels offer an aircrew discount.
Any other suggestions on places to see, where to dine out etc would be gratefully received.
Many thanks.

Cpt. Underpants
11th Oct 2006, 12:09
Remember that Feb 18th or thereabouts is the beginning of the Chinese New Year 2007. Hotels may be hard to find and expensive at that time.

Having said that, I think the Island (Hong Kong Island) is the best location wise, although it really won't make much difference given that the transport infrastructure here is very, very good.

Try the Excelsior in Causeway Bay for a "crew rate" - great location and it's got SQ and BA staying there I believe.

Must sees are The Peak, Wanchai, Causeway Bay (at night), the Mid-Levels for the pubs and restaurants, Lan Kwai Fong (same), Lion Rock (if you're a tramper and have the time), the Buddah and the Gnong Ping 360 cablecar. Take a 50p ride on the Star Ferry across Victoria Harbour at night, catch the number 6 bus from the Stock Exchange basement to Stanley (past Repulse Bay)...sit in the front row, upstairs. Shopping at Stanley for the missus and hit at least one electronic area like Mong Kok for you.

Eating - anywhere. It's all different, all good, and all safe. If you want a really "different" experience, try one of the outdoor seafood "restaurants" in the Ladies Market (at night) in Yau Ma Tei. Cheap as chips and unforgettable.

Be prepared to spend way more than you think, but have fun.

Kane Toed
11th Oct 2006, 13:41
...Gnong Ping 360 cablecarThe Ngong Ping one is better IMHO...:8

Cpt. Underpants
11th Oct 2006, 14:39
Sorry, typo. Thanks.

dragon501
12th Oct 2006, 02:40
Thats what I thought when I read your post, Excelsior Causeway Bay!! Well recommended!! Should count on spending bout 1500 a night in that time I think with the Airline Discount..

Cheers