PDA

View Full Version : Hairy Flypasts

gareth herts
11th Oct 2006, 08:20
Morning all

Robert Prest says in "F-4 Phantom - A Pilot's Story" that all pilots have a story about a 'hairy flypast' and proceeds to relate a story ending with the successful placement of a formation of Lightnings and Phantoms over Gutersloh in foul weather.

Would anyone have any similarly entertaining stories they can relate here I wonder?

Cheers

Gareth

Moe Syzlak
11th Oct 2006, 11:02
Ask Tommy about Cranwell circa 1984!! That was a beauty!

spectre150
11th Oct 2006, 12:27
Someone on here has probably got the video of that Cranwell flypast - worth a look.

Wader2
11th Oct 2006, 12:34
Someone on here has probably got the video of that Cranwell flypast - worth a look.

Pre-video, I would guess not.

Stretchwell
11th Oct 2006, 12:38
It was the end of January 1987. I know because I was part of the support squadron on parade for the graduation. It was carnage !! :D There was a video but not sure where you could find it - ask Dukesy maybe ?! :ooh:

Vifferpilot
11th Oct 2006, 12:43
Isn't it available to download on the Flight Safety website...or even ask your friendly FSO?

SkyHawk-N
11th Oct 2006, 12:55
Is someone going to describe the event?

The Gorilla
11th Oct 2006, 13:57
Or the E3D flypast circa 1998 that opened and almost closed the flying display at Wadders.
Spectacular recovery though!
:cool:

DownloadDog
11th Oct 2006, 14:27
I'm sure it's been mentioned before on Pprune and you definitely get to see it on the FLAC and the FSC at Bentley Priory.

Essentially, it's passing out day from IOT with all the proud mums and dads watching the parade when a pair of Phantoms do a flypast. After the first go, they fly a big loop and re-attack. One of the Phantoms flies pretty low - in blower I think - and then pulls up overhead the parade. As a result, the jet blast blows off peoples hats, flags go flying and, IIRC, the band also get a good blast too.

Legend has it, the Staish was waiting for the guy when he landed!

Would love to see it again if anyone could post it on Pprune.

Wader2
11th Oct 2006, 15:17
OC Ops Leuchars (desig) was a stude in the back. I believe he lost 6 months seniority and probably a handbrake on a glittering career.

Gainesy
11th Oct 2006, 15:21
I seem to remember Mike Jenvey mentioning that he was at the Cranwell flypast/through.
Don't know where this was, probably Swinderby, vaguely remember the pic was in Air Clues.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v167/Gainesy/VulcanFlyby.jpg

Stretchwell
11th Oct 2006, 15:37
Mike Jenvey was a flight commander on my course (98 IOT) so was almost certainly there. There must be a copy of the video out there somewhere!! :ok:

A2QFI
11th Oct 2006, 15:43
http://www.helicopterservice.com.au/photos/pprune/Thummers04.WMV
I was in this and didn't realise how close we came to ploughing into the mast(s). That was as silly as I need!

hobie
11th Oct 2006, 15:53
there will be no hair on a guy walking under this one ..... :p

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/61434/extremely_low_flying/

rab-k
11th Oct 2006, 16:06
http://www.angelfire.com/hi/luckypuppy2840/MADDOGJET/crazy/LOWFLYF4THE-SHOP.jpg

:eek:

gareth herts
11th Oct 2006, 16:35
http://www.helicopterservice.com.au/photos/pprune/Thummers04.WMV
I was in this and didn't realise how close we came to ploughing into the mast(s). That was as silly as I need!

Blimey! Thanks so far guys.

Gareth

wow400
11th Oct 2006, 16:44
Anyone know where Tommy is now?
wow

Fox2long
11th Oct 2006, 19:01
Last seen on Tatty Ton circa 1993 @finningley don't know since then!

Conan the Librarian
11th Oct 2006, 22:15
I think there was an interesting flypast at the disbandment ceremony for one of the last Victor squadrons, ie 55 or 57 - I forget which. If anyone could enlighten me on this event I would be very grateful :-) I would especially love to quietly get a picture or two, to hand back to the perpetrator, who returns to these shores next week.

Conan

Wycombe
11th Oct 2006, 22:26
The arrival of - I think it was 9 - VC10K's en mass back at BZZ at the end of GW1 was somewhat special.

Remember all 9 of them taxying back to the Terminal with a Guinness lorry (with drogue deployed) acting as the "follow-me".

BEagle
12th Oct 2006, 06:23
It should have been 9, but the last element had been delayed in KKIA. So 5 of us left Palermo at regular intervals; a bit of chat between us generated a join up plan for the first 4; we were No.4. I tried to get out of CAS as soon as possible, but Butty cocked up the RT and we didn't descend until later. Then the ever-helfpul ATC at a certain aerodrome near Wallingford wouldn't let us fly through Abingdon due to some Corgi-carrier inbound to their aerodrome, so we scooted over at 1000 ft to catch the others who were lurking over the Cotswolds. I was allocated the No.4 slot; lead was down to almost minimum fuel, so we quickly formed up then came over the Covert Oxonian Aerodrome in box. Change to 2 pairs in trail, then a VRIAB and stream landing. As we cleared, the 5th Palermo jet which had been pedal-to-the-metal all the way came round Cartoontown low and fast and broke overhead the Guiness tanker, to join us for a 5-ship taxi in shortly afterwards.... The others made it back later the same afternoon.

The Guiness tanker was organised by 'Snake', of course. His conversation with the Staish re. S*mpo's homecoming plan was epic:

"You say he's planning a 6-aircraft formation arrival?"

"Only if he can't arrange all 9, sir."

"But that's outrageous. He can't do that. Only the Stn Cdr can authorise such large formations!"

"I think you'll find that he authorised it when he was Stn Cdr Riyadh, actually sir....."

"What! He....err...errr...well, what else has been planned?"

"Well, there's Freddie-the-fox from Fox FM, Central TV South, BBC TV......oh, and we've negotiated a novel follow-me vehicle. A Guiness tanker"

"Oh good grief..... And I thought I had a career......!"

JagRigger
12th Oct 2006, 06:29
And now breakfast TV is flapping about the low flying Harrier/pongo 'playing chicken' that's been around for months.

My favourite? - certain ex exchange pilots going for a roller behind the flight line at Colt on their last trip

on21
12th Oct 2006, 07:00
Just read this article on the BBC website. Why does everybody complain these days? Is nobody entitled to a laugh these days?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6042912.stm

The most heinous video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taUwG2tdGfc

microlight AV8R
12th Oct 2006, 07:15
Much ado 'bout nowt !

Who's the di*khead that complained ? Don't they understand how we deploy our secret weapon (humour) when operating in adverse environments.

Looking forward to the alternative flying egg whisk episode.

Gainesy
12th Oct 2006, 07:35
From that Beeb report:
Two RAF squadrons equipped with Harriers are currently serving in Afghanistan.
So, we're down to four aircraft per Squadron.
BBC Knobbers or MoD spin?:hmm:

dakkg651
12th Oct 2006, 10:05
Not a hairy flypast as such but quite a smooth well executed one by all accounts. At least the few surprised spectators at Blackbushe thought so when the B52 crew mistook it for Farnborough a few years ago.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but hadn't they flown all the way across the pond to be there? Not the first time this had happened either I believe!

Not_a_boffin
12th Oct 2006, 10:15
From that Beeb report:

So, we're down to four aircraft per Squadron.
BBC Knobbers or MoD spin?:hmm:

BBC kn*bbers & MoD incompetents - 800NAS are a Royal Naval Air Squadron.

Archimedes
12th Oct 2006, 10:31
It is not known whether the Harrier had just taken off from its base or whether it was deliberately flying low over the soldiers.

Apart from being months old, the Beeb doesn't even know the context. So it could have been that the soldier and his mate with the camera knew that a low-flying GR7 would materialise over that spot and stood under it to film it? Where is the story in that, then?

Remind me how much it is we're supposed to accept the tax, I mean licence fee, going up by to be treated to such rubbish? :rolleyes:

airborne_artist
12th Oct 2006, 10:51
If you listen to the track it's clear they were expecting it and were there for the crack. As Archimedes say, it's been there since May, so it's vieux chapeau.

The BBC really should get out of White City more. They are a bunch of metrosexual (at best) jessies who clearly have too much time to spend chossing hair-care products.

Gainesy
12th Oct 2006, 11:02
They are a bunch of metrosexual (at best) jessies
Not all of them, some of the wimmin have very sturdy shoes.
Point is, it gives Joe Pubic the impression that there are two whole sqns of Harriers in theatre, ipso facto no CAS shortfall (scuse the pun).
Enough threadjack. Who has the Cranwell beat up vid? C'mon it was ages ago.:)

WHBM
12th Oct 2006, 11:06
Only seen from the ground.

Lord Mayor's Show, London, I am guessing about 1990. Formation of four Sea Kings were to build overhead London City one Saturday lunchtime, and presumably head towards Central London from there.

Absolutely sheeting with rain, low cloud, all that (it would be unkind to say "typical Duxford display weather....."), nevertheless they came in to have a shot. From our house about 1 mile north of LCY tremendous noise and little glimpses of the holding aircraft in between the clouds scudding across the sky. Cannot possibly have been VMC for them. This went on for about 10 minutes.

Eventually it was called off.:ok: Anyone here on board ? Looked like the sort of event you wouldn't forget.

Tombstone
12th Oct 2006, 11:21
I've just seen Sky News showing the clip of a GR7 flying over/past a guy standing at the perimeter fence at a secret base, somewhere hot & sandy.

Good to see the MoD stating that it was 'just a few guys letting off steam & no big deal'. Happy with that however, they did go on to say that they would have a word with the pilot!

Step up onto the mantle bona mate & take youy fifteen minutes of fame!:ok:

WhiteOvies
12th Oct 2006, 11:44
I'm sure the BOI convened about this event will come to the correct conclusion!!:ugh:

London Mil
12th Oct 2006, 12:28
But from Joe Public's perspective, this may not exactly be a glowing example of the RAF's professionalism. Hardly having a chance to forget that poor old Tommy is suffering because the RAF are "Utterly, utterly...." and the next thing they see is the RAF larking around with a bit of unnecessary low flying.

Top Tip - don't post your saucy/sexy/dangerous/incriminating videos on an open source, Internet, website.

AT Mov
12th Oct 2006, 12:39
Looking at the video, it is departing south and having travelled that road a few times, is about 200-250 yds from the end of the runway.

I think he is 'allowing the speed to build' before going en-route though!

Gainesy
12th Oct 2006, 13:31
Looks like a tac departure over some blokes standing off the end of the runway rather than a beat up

the_flying_cop
12th Oct 2006, 13:35
what can be more professional than a chap in his machine having complete and utter faith in it's and his abilities to operate it on the edge of its envelope.

i know all the touchy nicey feely sorts will be saying that grass was singed and some natterjack toads have had their rights to privacy breached....

but after all, its a spectacle and a true sign of the quality of our aviators. in the right place and the right time, there is nothing more breathtaking and stimulating that a low level beat up.

carry on chaps, we love it.

TFC

GPMG
12th Oct 2006, 13:35
Quite the opposite in my view, that is some of the best advertising and it's all for free.

How many 8-16 yr olds are going to see that and say "wow, thats really cool. i want to be just like that".

And Joe public are going to see a aeroplane going very fast and very low.....isnt that what Joe public thinks the RAF is meant to do?

I reckon that the RAF is missing out on a great PR opportunity here, set up air strikes and low flying fly bys with professional video being taken in Afganistan. Then flood You tube with it. Kids will love it, parents will be grabbed and told "hey Dad...watch this....cool" and the 'medja darling' will show those magnificent men in their flying machines going up diddly up up.

whiz
12th Oct 2006, 14:26
Looks like a tac departure over some blokes standing off the end of the runway rather than a beat up

Methinks you are cock on Gainesy ... Carry on ! :ok:

Rigex
12th Oct 2006, 14:40
I still like this one, almost certainly the nice TV chappie didn't expect it!:)

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/oh_my_god.htm

Speedpig
12th Oct 2006, 17:39
I think the camera man was a little taken aback too.... there are two people uttering the expletive.

jayteeto
12th Oct 2006, 17:47
Turn a naughty boy into good PR. That was some beat up, youngsters will sit up and take notice. The boys are doing the business out there, get footage out and use it to OUR advantage. The people I work with were IMPRESSED, not upset; seeing it as a supreme piece of flying skill.....:ok:

Even if it was a Harrier pilot.....................

On_The_Top_Bunk
12th Oct 2006, 18:46
edited traffic limit exceeded

Earsling
12th Oct 2006, 19:48
Was with the mighty cat in a Thumrait sun shelter about 5 years ago when a VC10 tanker did a low level pass and scattered everyone in the shelters. Seen plenty of fast pointy things beat up airfields over the years but that guy, who ever you are, had balls. Respect :cool:

Two's in
12th Oct 2006, 20:31
Alright then, I'll be the killjoy. In the spirit of King Harold, it's all a bit of a laugh until something goes wrong. Specifically, I imagine the DZ mates at South Cerney were suitably amused as well until their oppo got decapitated by the Herc ramp. There is absolutely zero margin for error, and in a similar vein, when 2 Army guys stoofed a Gazelle in while low level wazzing an armoured convoy in GW1, they survived, but Cat 5'd a critical operational asset. Imagine the furore if this was instead the actual video of us losing a Harrier in that Theatre. A bit of fun is a bit of fun, but either I have been on too many BOI's, or I have too much imagination to be able to dismiss this as "fun".

Zeibart
12th Oct 2006, 20:48
Two's in
Let's just say the Harrier was "below the glidepath - not correcting" on his approach, hmmmm? A hint of pot to kettle, perhaps? The Sth Cerney incident was a particularly nasty and awful conclusion to a 'DZ inspection' and not condonable by any stretch. I remember reading about the F14(15?) crew that thought they would moon at FL 300+ and whilst off O2, inevitable hypoxia set in with fatal results. Let's not get too sanctimonious about this. Give a lad a Ferrari and tell him to pootle down to Tesco and he will, most of the time. Occasionally, however, he might want to explore his, and the machine's, limits more freely.
Zeibart

paddygee
12th Oct 2006, 21:09
I seem to remember having my hat, and seeing all the audience's headgear flying off as well, at my passing out parade at Swinderby August 1992. 3 Tornado's on full afterburners blew everything all over the shop.

Tombstone
12th Oct 2006, 21:53
I seem to remember having my hat, and seeing all the audience's headgear flying off as well, at my passing out parade at Swinderby August 1992. 3 Tornado's on full afterburners blew everything all over the shop.

Crock of sh*t...

I was there, albeit as a stude on Chipmunks however, I do remember the three ship fly past you're talking about and nobody lost their hats. There was only one parade that month & I watched it from the cockpit of a chippy as I waited for the nod for my first solo.

Nothing special other than a a formation flypast followed by 3 single passes. Stop bull****ting!

London Mil
12th Oct 2006, 22:57
Zeibart, ... and that makes it OK then? Like many, I have ooooo'd and aaaaah'd at daring and incredible feats. Right up until the point in May 1988 when I saw a very close friend throw himself and a Harrier GR3 into the Ems canal.

Utterly, utterly pointless.

Tombstone
12th Oct 2006, 23:04
I'm sure he didn't mean it.

TOPBUNKER
12th Oct 2006, 23:49
The parents, relatives and friends of Private **** who was mown down by a Hercules flown by OC Flying JATE on 4 Aug 1994 at South Cerney would probably disagree with most of the above.
Whilst we still have to have fun, there do have to be limits.
As soon as we decide to ignore the written limits we are only limited by our own self imposed ones - which are likely to creep downwards.
There is no answer; but I would suggest to the moderators (Scroggs!) that one should not get into the game of encouraging potentially dangerous flypasts!
One might end up in Court!!!!

Edited by me for post Pub Sp & Gr.

rudekid
13th Oct 2006, 00:02
And appealing to the Moderators is going to stop a low fly past is it?

Especially from Scroggs!;)

Spurs armed and clanking...

TOPBUNKER
13th Oct 2006, 00:25
Appealing to Scroggs?
Hmmm, I think not!

But I think that a public reminder that this pilot was charged with MANSLAUGHTER may be a consideration for those who choose to overfly people at silly heights for fun!

The fact that the wacky aviation shrink persuaded the jury to declare a not-guilty verdict when it came to trial may provide security of mind to those who choose to do this in the future - I'm sure. The man concerned was a very good hands on pilot and did not have murder on his mind at the time - I suspect. I think that he "assumed" that his victim would jump off the vehicle rather just 'moon' at him.

The boy died for his bravado and the Sqn Ldr's career was ended. Some would say that his liberty should also have been ended.

TOPBUNKER
13th Oct 2006, 00:37
Oh, and by the way RUDEKID, what do you suggest?

Olly O'Leg
13th Oct 2006, 00:57
Certainly not wanting to start another angle to this thread but, having been a military FJ pilot for the last 8 years, I have recently become more involved with civilian aviation and I'm utterly appalled at the lack of discipline that some of those guys (but not all) display.

Not trying to shift the focus, or assuage any responsibility, but there's an AWFUL lot that goes unnoticed in areas of aviation that have no interest to the media.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mQDkqWuugEw

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ygh5dGuCWkc&mode=related&search=

http://youtube.com/watch?v=z2nciYBppD0&mode=related&search=

Bet the locals are well-chuffed with the last one........

7of9
13th Oct 2006, 01:31
Certainly not wanting to start another angle to this thread but, having been a military FJ pilot for the last 8 years, I have recently become more involved with civilian aviation and I'm utterly appalled at the lack of discipline that some of those guys (but not all) display.
Not trying to shift the focus, or assuage any responsibility, but there's an AWFUL lot that goes unnoticed in areas of aviation that have no interest to the media.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=mQDkqWuugEw
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ygh5dGuCWkc&mode=related&search=
http://youtube.com/watch?v=z2nciYBppD0&mode=related&search=
Bet the locals are well-chuffed with the last one........

The 757 one was like the RNAF one that displayed at Waddington this year, that WAS impressive, nowt wrong with that low level fly past.:D :D :D

TOPBUNKER
13th Oct 2006, 01:41
Okay, let's cut to the chase.

Playing games of chicken between fast moving vehicles and people should be left to Chavs on railway tracks. - IMHO.

Gerrit?

Roadster280
13th Oct 2006, 04:03
Forgive me, I'm not a pilot, but I have certainly played a lot with aircraft in my time as a MAOT. Out FACing one day on SPTA, and had a lot of fun with a Tonka beating us up at VERY low level. On another day, an A10 doing the same thing (difference was, I knew the Tonka was coming!). On another day, a Puma beat us up at no more than 15ft. Excellent fun, and I can see some training value for the aircrew with such low level flying in a military environment.

I can contrast this with those idiots "train surfing" who get surprised when a bridge spoils their whole afternoon. Or those that think the 25KV overhead lines are handrails as they mount the train roof.

Not the same to me, but I guess there are limits, which like all rules, get broken from time to time.

gareth herts
13th Oct 2006, 08:22
Guess I was unfortunate that the Harrier story broke at the same time as my thread!

I was really hoping for more stories like the VC-10, F-4 ones related earlier dealing with the background or events surrounding getting a bunch of military aircraft over a particular place at a particular time...........it's interesting reading folks, but if anyone has got any more stories, would be great to hear them!

Thanks

Gareth

Navy_Adversary
13th Oct 2006, 08:37
At those passing out parade flypasts which blew hats off etc, did any senior officers have their 'syrup' blow off ?:)

helen-damnation
13th Oct 2006, 13:59
Ref the Harrier...

It's a war zone :eek:

If that's the tactical way to stay alive then do it :}

If someone who is also putting his or her life on the line wants to get their kicks by standing under a fast mover.... good luck to them :ok:

Next :ugh:

Bigt
13th Oct 2006, 15:11
Not quite a fly past but certainly left its mark. Way back in 1976 a Vulcan staged through Masirah (OOMA) on its way to Mauritius for their independence day celebrations. On its arrival it was met by the station medics fully kitted out in suits, masks etc. The crew were confronted by one of the biggest hyperdermic needles I have ever seen as part of the medical arrangements for any visitor to the desert isle as they came down the aircraft ladder. This was of course the infamous Masirah `Rubber Dick/Latex Richard practical joke being played out.
After a couple of days the aircraft was ready to depart and in response to all the ribbing of the crew being carried out in the officers mess the crew duly returned the gesture by making a low pass over the `encampment of tin huts` ie RAF Masirah, stood the aircraft on its tail in the area of the officers mess and climbed skyward resulting in a fair few ceiling panels, dust and sand being `realined` in said officers mess......

I would tell you about the last Belfast fly past at Masirah but it would take toooo long:ugh:

Gainesy
13th Oct 2006, 15:15
Go to lunch when he's five miles out then come out with your coffee to watch?

Olly O'Leg
13th Oct 2006, 15:35
I seem to remember about 5 or 6 years ago that the B1s were allowed back to Cold Lake after their slightly supersonic run-through 4 years previous to that. I think they'd been there for a while on an exercise (poss Maple Flag) and they blew a few windows in! Probably one of those stories that has been "enhanced" over the years!!! :} :} :}

Art Field
13th Oct 2006, 15:56
The Jaguar exploits at Thumrait are legendary, indeed I can remember looking down on one from halfway up a Victors steps, but they were not alone . Quietly sipping an orange juice at the bar during a visit, there came a gently increasing roar, followed by a loud thump just above, followed by a gently decreasing roar. Non of the locals seemed alarmed, apparently it was quite normal for the Skyvan to do a touch and go on the Officers Mess roof.

Navy_Adversary
13th Oct 2006, 16:46
Headlines in the Leicester Mercury tonight about low flying Harriers
http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=132935&command=displayContent&sourceNode=132702&contentPK=15667400&folderPk=77465&pNodeId=132393

bayete
14th Oct 2006, 18:10
Quote from C/S Griffin to C/S Albert after Measles (sorry) Sabre Cross at Alice not that long ago....
"9/10 much better than the F3s"
All legal just using one's imagination to make it good and give the chaps up there a break from the monotony. :ok:

FCWhippingBoy
14th Oct 2006, 20:57
Indeed, I remember standing on Measles Point on Mt Kent for the F3s to do their thing, camera phone poised, whilst the Siggie handed out score cards!

1st pass on video (must post it online sometime, although I only managed to get the part where the aircraft had already passed within 20ft of the radome and was already passing overhead and away into the distance!)

2nd pass was with a score card held above for the aircrew to "collect" their score for the previous run!

Perfectly legal & fun!

EDIT - now posted online [CLICK] (http://s114.photobucket.com/albums/n273/fcwb/?action=view&current=Flypast-MtKent-27Feb06.flv)

chinny
15th Oct 2006, 04:29
Hi,
Did any 1 get a copy of the fly by in DEC '86.
Please was there and would love a copy if you have.
Ta:ok:

cc
VTSP

Chimbu chuckles
15th Oct 2006, 07:42
Olly O'leg for goodness sake.

1/. An ultralight having a bit of fun on a dry lake bed...no one at risk.
2/. A RNZAF 757 doing a flyby at a RNZAF airbase.
3/. A Piper doing a low pass down a grass airstrip.

Believe it or not we civvy pilots are taught to fly low along airtrips in Oz to get the Roos off so we can land safely.

If you want to expose your holier than thou FJ attitude I would suggest you find some better examples than those. Believe it or not there are pilots in the civvy world that display enormous skill and discipline all day every day in a multitude of different aircraft in a large variety of highly dangerous flying, bush flying, Ag, Mustering etc, who were never in the mil first...and sometimes they have a bit of fun on the side.

When one of the Hannas buzzes Alain De Cadenet, and I agree it's a great vid:E, in a spit that is just good fun...when a civvy dares to fly past on a wide open dry lake or along a airstrip you get all holier than thou.:ugh:

Flying of the type being discussed in this thread is human nature at work...it requires no other justification than 'it is fun'.

Autobahnstormer
20th May 2010, 10:38
Sorry about the delay, I've been lurking . .
Best flypast ever - XH588 in it's last trip overseas before being punted off to Mr Walton.
RAFG (sort of) 1993, Queens Birthday Reception. Starts with four 17 Sqn Tonkas going from left to right, then the Musical Gun Jugglers do their display. Sunset Ceremony, lowering of the flag, everybody stands for the Anthem. 4* and RAF 3* on the dais saluting, then eerie silence. Gradually a whistling noise can be heard, getting louder until the sky goes black, M****goon the Pilot opens the taps and stands it on its tail into a 90 degree wingover over an active air base (est height <200ft - I was recording the event for posterity). There were some apologies made afterwards to the Colonials who ran the base. Utterly brilliant. Even the Groundcrew said when he took off rather enthusiastically "He's up for it today!" Same Pilot returned the next year for a flypast in a V-Tanker, somewhat more sedate and a little higher but got the timing spot-on.
ABS.

lynx-effect
23rd May 2010, 08:06
YouTube - Reporter Blooper - Hit By Plane (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wHyTyh5EWs)

Canadian Break
23rd May 2010, 22:13
No contest: PP and CC when they left Akrotiri in 1986 after the Lightnings on APC had been holding QRA for a few weeks following the US bombing of Libya.
CB

Pure Pursuit
23rd May 2010, 22:23
Lynx Effect.

That is brilliant! New keyboard required!!!

arandcee
24th May 2010, 20:54
and i was sure that that see-through umbrella would be aeroplane-proof!!

Airbrake
25th May 2010, 07:48
Can somebody please post a link to the Cranwell flypast. I was on Support Sqn at the time and have never seen the actual vid. PM me if you prefer.

Thanks.

Bladdered
25th May 2010, 14:37
It was 1987 not 84 or 86 and I was a flt Cdr on A Sqn but required to show parents of the graduating Sqn to their seats along with the likes of Mike J who was also an A Sqn Flt Cdr. It was not just the Phantoms but the bloomin Nimrod that tried to emulate the exploits of their FJ mates - who had to climb to get over the top of College hall, tremendous, hats everywhere, meanwhile we stood by to be interviewed by the BOI. Not aware of any video though!

Wwyvern
25th May 2010, 14:54
Can't remember if I've posted this somewhere else or not. Anyway, Dec 1961, deployed at El Adem, just completed exercise with the army, and they asked for a flypast over their camp.

10 Hunters climbed to a long way up, and peeled off in turn to aim 10 sonic booms at the camp.

On landing at El Adem, signal received from the Colonel said something like, "Thanks very much for the excellent demo. We needed to take the tents down anyway."

heavybuffet
25th May 2010, 17:20
Whilst any red blooded aviator would surely love to see all these not strictly legal low flypasts, might I respectfully ask you all to keep the evidence to yourselves! You Tube has put an end to many a flying career.

Perhaps some vague details suitably embellished to impress your drinking budies. Not that I would ever do anything so silly you understand :cool:

Lightning5
25th May 2010, 17:49
Try Tex Johnston rolling a 707 circa 1955 over Lake Washington Seattle.
Great interview and film on youtube.

Great memories of "Frightnings" chasing A10's at low, low level over Windybrook circa the 70's. A Lightning at 300 was a very, very impressive sight and somewhat noisy!!!:ok:

Fox3WheresMyBanana
25th May 2010, 18:53
Of course, stranger things have happened at sea, where one can be reasonably assured that the boat knows what you are doing (by virtue of talking to them - novel concept), supersonic is not a problem and there are unlikely to be any videos. At least, videos with any reference points for the PR police to figure out. "Stay close and don't fly lower than me", "Right ho, Sir". I have a big picture of a Krivak taken with a small camera, but the bucc boys were the real psychos.
Also, HMS Nottingham circa 1984, darn sawf, any F4 mate want to own up?

A A Gruntpuddock
26th May 2010, 13:42
What about the ME109s strafing the airfield in the opening scenes of 'Battle of Britain'?

Seen it many times but I still expect the lowest one to hit the fence and crash!

endplay
26th May 2010, 13:55
GOAT in an F3 in a sandy place (not current). He told me it was amazing and that a video exists somewhere so if anyone has it, a post would be good.

lsh
26th May 2010, 14:05
What about the ME109s strafing the airfield in the opening scenes of 'Battle of Britain'?

Seen it many times but I still expect the lowest one to hit the fence and crash!

Certainly looks so low over the fence that the prop should hit!

Would he be so "flat" that the bullets would fly parallel & not hit anything??!
(Under 1 metre, anyway!)

lsh
:E

Shackman
26th May 2010, 17:30
Re 109's - I can assure you that standing about 100yds away - supposedly safely behind the cardboard French villa - I thought they would too (but even better in real life than the film)!

Fr8t M8te
26th May 2010, 19:42

Is there a link for that on the net anywhere? Can't seem to find it.

allyn
29th May 2010, 13:33
About 5 minutes into the clip:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BNOKXfZTEAE&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BNOKXfZTEAE&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

777fly
30th May 2010, 22:51
How about this one...? In the mountains of Afghanistan.........

YouTube - RAF Harrier low flyby Afghanistan 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HEgdRkuF-U)

meadowbank
31st May 2010, 13:17
Fox3WeheresMyBanana wrote:
Also, HMS Nottingham circa 1984, darn sawf, any F4 mate want to own up?

I believe you may be speaking of Callsign Ali-Ass 56, who intercepted Nottingham on a number of occasions in early '84? :ok:

Fox3WheresMyBanana
31st May 2010, 14:51
That may be it. I just remember my formation leader insisting on reminding the boat Captain about HMS Nottingham before we gave him the fast and low missile simulation he'd asked for. They obviously both knew what was meant, but I never heard the full story. Which was..?

Still Wee Jock
10th Jun 2010, 20:25
A 23 Sqn Belgian F104 from Kleinebrogle which had been on a squadron exchange with my squadron (43F) at Leuchars, must have been about 1980. I think there were 4 came to visit, and after they'd all gone howling off, one re-appeared from between our hangar and the one next door. I can remember standing on the apron feeling the heat of the engine right above me - also thought I would be deaf forever. Our Sqn CO (Ian McBride) strolled back off to his office and denied he ever saw it. When we went to Belgium on a return visit one of our engineers melted a bloody great hole in their apron doing an engine run - they thought it was funny, top blokes. Also a last flight before posting flypast by a chap already being chatted about on here (see MPs' expenses thread), he was a Flt Lt then. Shot along the taxiway outside the hangar at about 10 feet. The QFI left the following week and did the same thing on his wing tip.

Chrisdaman
10th Jun 2010, 21:59
YouTube - Fighter plane's incredible fly-by caught on camera (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M-lXM1D8ZI&feature=fvw)

real or not that is amazing in terms of flybys

doubledolphins
10th Jun 2010, 22:14
Not exactly hairy, but early. At the Battle Of the Atlanitic 60th Anniversary march past the Merlin came through too early, just as he first Column was marching past, drowning out the noise of the Booty Band and causing a lot of foriegn sailors to loose their step. So, in true naval fashion after an unsatisfactory march past I sent it "round again". Subsequently the 1SL told me how much he enjoyed the two fly pasts and asked me who's idea was the second one. I owned up, but got away with out saying why.:ok:

SpannerSpinner
11th Jun 2010, 06:05
Not exactly hairy but I was lucky enough to be onboard the Nimrod MR2 (XV254) as we arrived for RIAT 2006. Our Pilot, good lad, arrived in style with a very loud run in and break but managed to overstress the jet doing it. We we're greeted with great applause and wows, with 1 american aircrew mate asking us from which museum did we fly in from!!! Does anyone have a vid of it? Apparenty, CinC Strike (as it was then) or ACAS or some other highly ranked pop star was underneath said arrival and really saw his a#se about it. We did have to fly back to ISK with min crew and legs down!

Anybody got the vid? I've seen the photos on t'interweb but would love a video if it exists!

BEagle
11th Jun 2010, 07:32
Several years ago, our Vickers FunBus was on static display at some Spam airshow. We watched with interest as one of Uncle Spam's (then) brand new B-1Bs came hurtling into view, before pulling up steeply, cranking it round and landing.....:ooh:

In true Spam fashion, as soon as the engines had stopped and the lantern-jawed Captain America in his aviator shades had left with his crew, it was roped off and fierce looking goons with guns and chrome plated coal scuttle helmets kept everyone at bay....:hmm:

However, at the end of the day they let us in to have a look. I noticed some grizzled old M/Sgt looking a bit pi$$ed off, so went to chat. "Nice arrival - very impressive jet!", quoth I.

"Damn young kid overstressed the motherf****r. I'll be here for goddam ever checking the thing.....!", he growled.

Ooops!

RetiredF4
11th Jun 2010, 07:36
Now how do you like that one?
http://www.aerodrome-gruyere.ch/video/touch-roll-touch/

franzl

gareth herts
11th Jun 2010, 09:57
Crikey - nearly four years since I started this thread. Lovely to see it pop back up from time to time, thanks chaps!

Yeller_Gait
11th Jun 2010, 10:34
Now how do you like that one?
http://www.aerodrome-gruyere.ch/video/touch-roll-touch/

franzl

Guess it wasn't airborne long enough to crash.

Good video though.:D:D:D

Y_G

johnfairr
11th Jun 2010, 11:32
Might have mentioned it before, but at the BoB Day at Biggin Hill in 1975, two 104s from Holland were present. I was detailed to look after their pilots and also the Reds and any other visiting aircrew for a Sunday evening DrinkEx at The White Hart.

Excellent evening, all happily befuddled and telling stories etc. The two Cloggies lead the way in right-arm exercising, with no apparent break in movement all night. Come Monday when they are due to depart, one of them tells me to hang around after their departure, as they will do a quick beat of the runway. :E

Pairs take off, very tight, looped round easterly and they came back at Warp Factor Snot, 6' off the deck and the #2 proceeds to roll under the #1 as they go over the Bump into the valley!!!

Great relief to see them climbing out heading for the Channel!

sunshine band
11th Jun 2010, 12:01
Taken during Exercise Hairy Funnel, in 2006...

http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo116/sband/1024zh796pairlowlst200206.jpg

http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo116/sband/001lowfine1filtered3.jpg

SB

Fareastdriver
11th Jun 2010, 13:55
Where's the wake?

sunshine band
11th Jun 2010, 14:55
I didn't know that he was a Catholic or that he was dead... ;)

SB

RetiredF4
16th Jun 2010, 16:51
Not hairy, but nice and loud display in one of my beloved phabolous phantoms!

YouTube - GERMAN LUFTWAFFE LOW LEVEL PHANTOM . (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2_DXYieL_o&feature=player_embedded)

franzl

xray one
16th Jun 2010, 19:46
Makes a change not to see them returning with a tree branch in their wings at Goose Bay.....

taxydual
16th Jun 2010, 19:49
Smoke on. Smoke on. Go.

or maybe Rausch on. Rausch on. Go.

grandfer
16th Jun 2010, 20:24
I remember late 60s early 70s at Yeovilton when the Reds had Gnats , looking down into the cockpits of the Gnats as I stood watching the team arrive , I was stood on grass on the edge of a taxiway beside the tower at the time & was suddenly engulfed in jet exhaust & diesel smoke ! Some Matelot on a monkey bike nearly s**t himself as he was going down the same taxiway in opposition to the Reds !!!

:mad::mad::ok:

AlpineSkier
16th Jun 2010, 20:37
@TaxyDual

or maybe Rausch on. Rausch on. Go

The above was amusing - and possibly appropriate -but :

Rauch an, Rauch an

I imagine.

taxydual
16th Jun 2010, 20:47
Doh!!

Langwidges was never my strong point! :O

But I see what you mean, Alpine.

RetiredF4
16th Jun 2010, 22:18
Quote X1
Makes a change not to see them returning with a tree branch in their wings at Goose Bay.....

You´ve been there?
I was there, but all my trees survived! Was great fun flying in 100 feet with 540K!
franzl

RetiredF4
16th Jun 2010, 22:25
Now that is crazy! Low level refueling!
YouTube - Low altitude refuel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdO24s1vVWM)
franzl

RetiredF4
16th Jun 2010, 22:29
They do it really low!
YouTube - RF4 RightNow RF-4 F4 Phantom F-4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Puuh1YMnMpg)

franzl

Double Zero
17th Jun 2010, 01:17
There were many such goings on at Wet Freugh; the visiting A-10 drivers were always worth a watch, I remember at least one inverted at less than wingspan height; the tasty secretary's window with all the zaps on it made a natural gun-dive 'target' too...

In early GR5 days, a ( very good ) service pilot had carried out a Matra pod ripple firing on the beach target, then came back fast, well below the ATC balcony level, waggling around it at the last second.

This gained applause even from the ' seen it all ' West Freugh crews, then it turned out he'd had a hung up rocket...

If it had gone off and taken out Air Tragic ( nothing against them in particular, I found ALL at W.F. to be true professionals ) I don't know if this would have gained extra kudos, but the PDR would be a classic !

Naturally not really reported very much, may have been different if the pilot was a b----rd; if you know who you are, Thanks, it was an honour working with you.

Not a hairy flypast, but while mentioning the W.F. Range, I was with another T.P. one typically ultra-windy day when we visited ATC; he had a quick look round, then gave the anemometer scrolling pen an almighty flick.

When I raised my eyebrows, he whispered " I always do that here on windy days, I'm trying to get the highest recorded gust in Britain " !

zkdli
17th Jun 2010, 16:57
seeing the refuelling phantom reminded of the RNZAF A4s performing a barrel role while doing buddy refuelling. Does anyone have a photo or video of that?

J52
18th Jun 2010, 12:07
Gareth....... great thread.
ZKDLI
I am sure someone has this on video. I was one of the team that designed and installed the smoke mod onto the RNZAF A4K at the time this stunt was performed and remember a TV crew at one of the displays. It was filmed by TVNZ I think.

Most spectacular was RAAF F111 going off the end of the strip at Ohakea, I think 1981. Word was out the pilot planned to do something impressive on take off (we thought a dump and burn). Nearly the whole base was out watching. Instead he flamed out both engines during a stream takeoff in wet weather and ejected off the end of the strip. Might have stopped except the arrest gear had been taken down for maintenance. Fuselage cartwheeled into bomb dump at end of strip and exploded. Pretty sure this is on film somewhere. Understand the ejection capsule still used by the RAAF as a recruitment aid.

Focks 2
18th Jun 2010, 20:10
seeing the refuelling phantom reminded of the RNZAF A4s performing a barrel role while doing buddy refuelling. Does anyone have a photo or video of that?

From about 2:40 into this video: <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/38G9ZIBZzkk&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/38G9ZIBZzkk&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

zkdli
18th Jun 2010, 20:39
Focks 2 thanks for that. I had forgotten how good the A4 looks and what a good job the kiwis did with it:)

ekoja
18th Jun 2010, 23:01
Interesting, very interesting.
I seem to remember a photo, or was it a youtube thingy of a F4 on a/b flying between 2 hangars somewhere in England.:ok:
I seem to recall that the pilot was on his last run before leaving the Airforce,:=
or maybe not.:O

PICKS135
18th Jun 2010, 23:33
That'll be the one on here

The Home of the Phantomeers (http://www.phantomreunion.talktalk.net/lowfly.htm)

Hit'emwiththeWagner
18th Jun 2010, 23:45
The F-111 crash at OH was in August 1979.

More info and pics (as well as lots of other OH related stuff) here:

Wings Over New Zealand - NZ F-111 crash Aug 79 photos ADF-serials.com (http://rnzaf.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=Aussie&action=display&thread=3792&page=1)

The capsule used as a recruiting aid was recovered from a different incident in 1978 that resulted in an F-111 becoming acquainted with the bottom of the Hauraki Gulf. I've got a picture of the capsule from around 2003 or so somewhere.

ekoja
18th Jun 2010, 23:47
Re the low Phantom.
Thats it, legend,
how cool is that!!!!:D:D:D
Thanks picks135

My contribution, and I was there.
YouTube - sunderland fly past (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu2qxgtFvW8&feature=PlayList&p=7FFE68B2FB147AAF&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=28)

glad rag
19th Jun 2010, 00:37
I do hope the report of injuries was false, not so smart really....

Senior Pilot
19th Jun 2010, 05:38

Without detracting from the Kiwi's abilities, the barrel roll while refuelling was first done by Fred's Five in Sea Vixens, sometime mid 1960's at Farnborough :ok:

Canadian Break
19th Jun 2010, 08:51
Wasn't the pilot referred to in post 117 that a certain Wg Cdr GB - an ex lightning mate IIRC?

trex450
19th Jun 2010, 09:08
I recall seeing some markings on the window frame in the tower at MPA with respective aircraft types alongside recording aircraft level in respect to the eye level of the ATCO, unfortunately there were not any photos as well.

WannabeCrewman
19th Jun 2010, 10:52
My old man saw the last two Lightnings to do weapons work at RAF Valley leave in spectacular fashion. Take off, remain low level, as soon as they get over Rhosneiger, they stick it on their arse and put a hole in the clouds.

Windows smashed, car alarms blaring, OAPs on Zimmermans disgruntled. Station Commanders words were to the effect of "I'd like them in my office for an interview without coffee 5 minutes ago".

Nimrod departing Valley from an airshow a fair old while back went damned near vertical over "Death Rock" at the end of the runway, leaving a few spectators temporarily deaf....

Samuel
19th Jun 2010, 23:19
The RAAF F111 at Ohakea was not involved in a fly-past, hairy or otherwise, but taking -off in full AB on a very wet runway and both engines flamed out. With no overshoot to speak of, they quite correctly decide to eject. The capsule landed very near to the burning wreckage, so close in fact that one crash vehicle placed itself between the capsule and the aircraft, losing a coat of paint in the process. The crew were totally unhurt.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e33/Shadblat/F111Capsule.jpg

LittleMo
20th Jun 2010, 08:23
I recall G.S. (The Stinge) doing a beat up in a Tornado at his local gliding club causing some guys to drop the wings they were carrying to rig a glider and breaking lots of other plastic bits laying about. Anyone know what happened to him? Last I heard he was at Virgin doing his best for the cabin crew's morale

J52
20th Jun 2010, 14:58
Thanks for the photos (and the link from Hit'emwiththeWagner). Time flies, did not seem it was like 1979 when this happened. Wasn't sure that the RAAF recruitment display was this capsule or the one that ditched in the Gulf, when I last saw it, the caption read it was from the Ohakea crash. The Ohakea capsule actually came down through the flames initially then a gust of wind blew it sideways. I was there when they extracted the crew. From memory the plane was fully armed and fueled en-route to Fiji? When the wreckage was being recovered, there was still fuel left in it and it had to be defueled first. There is a sequence of photos taken of the flame out and aqua-planning the length of the strip and then the cart wheel off the end. I last saw this sequence on the wall of an RNZAF Engineer at Defence HQ so it might still be under wraps.