PDA

View Full Version : CFS reminiscences

BOAC
10th Oct 2006, 22:08
Cruisin' around the Cotswolds recently I came across a book in a bookshop about CFS at RAF Little Rissington, one of whose authors is the well-known Al Pollock.

Sad to say the airfield is now an industrial site (having, I believe, passed to the Irish Rangers) but the book brought back some fine memories of life there, including the dining-out of my course, 240, with the stripper at the top table - and it did not mention the rest of the package which was blue movies in - where else - the 'Ladies Room':)

dakkg651
11th Oct 2006, 08:26
No the airfield itself is not an industrial site. It is still an active airfield used by Air Cadet Vigilants.

11th Oct 2006, 08:53
Irish Rangers?

That must have been a long time ago, there haven't been any Irish Rangers for years. There's not even going to much left of the Royal Irish Regiment left soon, either. :hmm:

BOAC
11th Oct 2006, 14:22
Thanks, dak - I was told that by a 'local'.

grunt - it was a WHILE ago:)

NightFlit
12th Oct 2006, 00:02
Apart from the airmans' mess' and gym etc. (knocked down), I believe the industrial estate has been kept as it was when they took it over from the RAF, with exception of minor refurbishments of the station's buildings.

Officers' Mess and CFS HQ in crying need of attention though!

dakkg651
12th Oct 2006, 09:51
I remember dropping into Riss about five years ago with snow and ice everywhere. The OAT gauge was, however, reading 26 degrees C.

It was during the filming of 'Die Another Day' and the production company had hired the airfield from the MOD for the car chase scenes. The 'snow' and icebergs looked so real that I almost started shivering. Didn't see Brosnan. He must have popped off for a cocktail. That Vantage looked good, though, especially with all the rockets sticking out the front!