PDA

View Full Version : Swiss Longhaul

J32/41
10th Oct 2006, 14:48
Just wondered if anyone has flown with Swiss longhaul on the A330/A340, what did you think of it?

How was the service?

Inflight entertainment?

Many Thanks

J32/41
12th Oct 2006, 14:38
Someone here must have flown with Swiss?

:confused:

praa
13th Oct 2006, 12:37
I flew with Swiss last November from Zürich to LA and back. Both flights were on the A340. The equipment seemed fairly new and was very clean and well looked after. Cabin crew were friendly and efficient. The only (small) moans were the seat pitch in economy which seemed pretty average and that's never enough for a tall person like me. And the food. It was ok but the second meal on the outward flight (12 hours) was a slice of pizza, warmed up in its cardboard box. You can really see where airlines are trying to cut costs.
I like connecting through Zürich, though. It's modern and efficient with short and easy connections between the gates - even if you have to get the shuttle train to the new terminal. All in all it's much preferable to connecting at Heathrow or any other huge airport with old infrastructure. The possible downside is the lower number of alternative connections if something does go wrong.

Conor.P.M
17th Oct 2006, 14:54
I've flown longhaul with Swiss several times, most recently from Zurich to LA, but I frequently fly Zurich - JFK and Newark - Zurich. I've also flown Zurich - Tokyo but that was back when Swiss flew MD11's. I've never flown on any of their A330's, but I have flown the A340 and the BBJ. While the 3 class layout of the 340 is different to the 3 class layout of the 330 I understand that the cabins are very similar.
I have only flown in Economy once. I was given a exit row behind the bulkhead (having been bounced from Business due to a broken seat) and was surprised at how comfortable I found it. The seat was a bit tight for my 185cm 100Kg frame, but because I was in a bulkhead seat the personnel video screen was mounted in the arm of my seat rather then in the back of the seat in front, so I suspect the non bulkhead rows would have been more comfortable width wise, but at 185cm's I would rather have the leg room.
All seats have on demand video players with a wide choice of TV and movies (larger selection in Business and First) you can watch what you when you want and pause, fast forward and rewind, I was very impressed (I believe these are also fitted to the A330's but that's just a rumour) . Food service in Economy was good. Nothing too complicated but definitely better then the airline food I had been expecting. There was some sort of Pizza Roll later in the flight and Ice Cream an hour or so before we landed. Even thought I had a Business class ticket I was surprised at how good I found economy, but I suspect the legroom played a big part in that, and it was Zurich - JFK, not LA or Tokyo.
Business class is much better from a service and food perspective, but I was slightly disappointed by the seats. Very comfortable (apart from when fully extended, I felt I was going to slip out of the seat) but not lie flat. Same personnel Video system as in Economy with a slightly greater selection. All in all very pleasant and relaxing experience, even in Economy.
The BBJ on the Newark - Zurich route is a different experience. Again I found the business class seats to be good rather then excellent, but flying with only 25 other people on an all business class service is the way to travel. Apart from the ridiculous TSA security Theater at Newark, there was no queuing. Boarding only took a few minutes, no fighting for overhead lockers (locker space for 150 - 170 people, only 25 on board). Again the food and service was very good and the in flight entertainment consists of a personnel DVD player with 6 movies given to each passenger (which I recognised as the same players handed out on the old Swiss MD11's I use to fly on to Tokyo). However I can not stress how much more pleasant the all business service is compared to business on a 2 or 3 class flight. No children, predominately professional passengers, and even when it close to capacity it's still quiet (and no queues for the toilet). Quick to board, quick to deplane and the most relaxing way to fly I have found (almost on par with a trip on the upper deck of a South African 747)
I actually live in South West London, but work in Denmark and have friends in Switzerland. Work and play mean that I have a wide choice of departing airport when I travel long haul. This means that I can avoid the disaster area that is Heathrow and where ever possible I fly Long Haul with with Swiss or SAS, but mainly Swiss. I haven't flown many other airlines long haul recently, but I find the Swiss Experience (Airline and Airports) much better then other options.

The sermon has now ended, you may go in peace!

Always
17th Oct 2006, 18:34
I have flown with them on both types many times and can compare it well with other airlines too. Depending on the class you choose you would get different information though. First is excellent and the FA very alert to your needs. Your privacy is respected.
On Business you get a good service and the seats are also quite comfortable. Although on the MD11 I liked the shape better for sleeping.
Economy sucks for long range in any airline but if you are not willing to spend some $$$ I believe you may also not expect much in Eco class anymore at any airline. But I still would rate it slightly better then others. The food there is not as much as it used to be, but there are always sandwiches in the galleys on other snacks for the hungry once. The difference in Eco vs. C class will be maybe half or a third of your other vacation spending. So some may say they rather suffer for a few hours. I prefer to say, I work all year so i want to be pampered when I go off on trips.
The checkin is good in ZRH for C and F but also much better then before in Y too. Specially in the Train area of the Terminal which is less used I found, you may check in quick.
Entering through immigration to the gates can go quick if you do it upstairs, which many seem not to know exists.
The X-Ray procedure later on is a pain in the neck on any airport and you have to calculate considerable times for that process.
Do not go with the latest checkin times. It will not work out in most times.

All in all I would say it is a good airline too fly.
I disagree with the creation of the company but that is another subject.

Hope this helped.
:)