PDA

View Full Version : Pitts Special S1-S

waldopepper42
9th Oct 2006, 10:20
To all you Pitts gurus...
I may have the opportunity of a half share in a Pitts S1-S, so i thought I would ask for any tips / advice that you may have:
Pros/cons of this particular model
Anything to look out for on the airframe (i.e. anything expensive that's known to break easily or common faults)
Best place to get a dual check out (I think there's G-WREN at Sibson?)
Any other advice - frontal lobotomy etc.....:eek:
WP

effortless
9th Oct 2006, 10:41
A mirror and a pair of tweezers, in order to remove the flies embedded in your manically grinning teeth.

Confabulous
9th Oct 2006, 11:54
I'm thinking of the same, only in Ireland - how much does a half-share go for? Monthly costs? Maint? Hangarage? (I'm just curious, not interested in buying a UK share.)

Zulu Alpha
9th Oct 2006, 14:25
The Guru is Rob Millinship at Leicester

http://www.aerographic.com/index.html

He has probably worked on something for every Pitts in the UK. Very helpful, very knowledgeable and knows everything about Pitts's.

Give him a call

For dual training, there is also Alan Cassidy at White Waltham and Cas Smith in Yorkshire

stiknruda
9th Oct 2006, 16:03
Waldo - I've built one and sent you a PM.

Stik

shortstripper
9th Oct 2006, 16:41
Anyone who builds such a beautiful aeroplane and then paints it purple :yuk: just can't be trusted! I'd look elsewhere for advice if I were you!

SS

........... only kidding (sorry Stik :p )

Pitts2112
9th Oct 2006, 19:11
What ZA said. Rob probably knows all about whichever Pitts you're looking at and can tell you if you should go for it or not (and usually recommend a decent price, as well).

Checkouts also possilby available from Paul Ambrose at Special-Flight.com at Popham (don't know if he'll let you take his solo, though).

Take Rob's advice on how to do your first flight, as well. There's at least one pilot in the midlands who didn't and is regretting it.

Pitts2112

waldopepper42
10th Oct 2006, 08:46
Many thanks for the advice guys! I have already spoken to Stik, who knows of the a/c and it's history, and was most helpful (thanks Stik) . I will probably call Rob nearer the time.

Pitts2112 - yes, indeed I intend to treat the type conversion with caution (I have a few hours solo in the S2-A, but it's a few years ago), and will have a full checkout on the S2 and take the S1 to a nice long grass runway for lots of practice before attempting Netherthorpe!!!

Once again, thanks everybody,

WP

javelin
10th Oct 2006, 21:20
Naaaah, get a Christen Eagle............. more room, better handling, easier landing, looks better, 'specially when it's just red and white :E

stiknruda
10th Oct 2006, 21:28
'specially when it's just red and white

and it may have adorned the covers of two UK flying comics in recent months?

I think I know exactly who you are!!!!!!!!!!

:p :p :p

waldopepper42
11th Oct 2006, 07:09
Naaaah, get a Christen Eagle............. more room, better handling, easier landing, looks better, 'specially when it's just red and white :E

You know where there's a share for sale, then? :)

Flyingcircusace
11th Oct 2006, 10:49
Here

http://www.aerobatics.org.uk/aircraft+eqpt-for-sale.htm

javelin
11th Oct 2006, 12:37
Stik,

Never hide the fact !

Looked good didn't it ?

RV7 progresses slowly and the Citabria may get replaced by a Decathlon next year.

On-MarkBob
21st Oct 2006, 19:55
The Pitts S1 series can be a bit of a mine field. You need to do some serious work before you even go and look at one. The best choice is always one that was factory built, a good start, but even some of those have been modified extensively and, dare I say, some not very well. To much to say in this little thread, but if you want to PM me do so. I will happiliy speak to you about it all. I spent many years looking after a veriety of Pitts and many still fly with my modifications, many of which were taken up by the factory. I knew the guys at the factory, and I was the cheif engineer for the Rothmans aerobatic Team.

The home built verieties need special care and attention to detail when considering them.