PDA

View Full Version : The eagle has landed!

Jon Tucker
8th Oct 2006, 19:02
Hi everyone,

Been lurking on the forum for a while and find it very informative!

Just thought I'd share with you all that I've finally managed some full circuits including some half decent landings!

I'm up to around 13 hours and although I've found most of the upper air exercises fairly straight forward, I've had difficulty with the circuit and landing (same for most I guess). I'm learning at Eaglescott so the combination of the bumpy, sloping runway and the usual fairly healthy cross wind, have made it quite challenging.....so as you can imagine, I'm happy!! :ok:

MyData
8th Oct 2006, 21:12
Well done Jon. Get those landings to 'full' decent and you'll be ready to solo!

CapCon
8th Oct 2006, 23:41
Ah, there's nothing quite like crabbing onto the runway. Just remember to kick that rudder in the flare or find a bill for a new tyre/gear from the flying club :uhoh: (Not speaking from experience!!) :E

Jon Tucker
9th Oct 2006, 07:06
Cheers MyData, pboyall!!

Looking forward to going solo but I think I've still got some work to do on getting the approach just right. On the occasions when my approach has been good and stable the landings have seemed much easier and smoother. My instructor always says that a good landing follows a good approach, I'm starting to think he might be right! :*

We've been crabbing in on final, flicking it straight over the fence and then, if the wind is very strong, putting a wing down. So I guess thats a mixture of the two, or are you just talking about the very final stages?

Crabbing is quite a natural feeling for me because I've come from a rallying background where you spend most of your time going sideways but what I find tricky is the getting amount of control input to straigten it up and stay on the centre line right, without wobbling all over the place!

Anyway, now that I have a few in the bag I'm looking forward to practicing and hopefully going solo in the not too distant future although the weather may have a say in that! :ugh:

Pitts2112
9th Oct 2006, 19:25
I'm finding it quite hard to keep my aiming point in one place, it seems to veer around like crazy, I guess I need to learn to be more sensitive on the controls.

Nah! As long as your aiming point is still on the runway, you're good to go!

Pitts2112