PDA

View Full Version : JAA CPL IR to FAA PPL IR

Denice
8th Oct 2006, 18:50
Hi

I hold a jaa cpl ir and i'd like to get a faa ppl ir equivalence, i've got the opportunity to fly a N-registered aircraft in Europe.
I'm planning a trip to the U.S for the end of the year.

I was wondering if a flight test in the U.S was required or
if i just need to take the IR written test for this equivalence.

I'm seeking any advices from whoever went trough this process before or has knowledge about that.

Thank you.

Wrong Stuff
8th Oct 2006, 19:49
As I understand it:

- you can get an FAA PPL based upon your JAA CPL as just a paperwork exercise. You'll need to submit an application to the FAA nominating the FSDO you'll be collecting it from. If your JAA CPL is issued by the UK CAA you also need to send them a form (and pay them a bit of money) authorising them to share your details with the FAA. I'm not sure which other JAA countries have the same rule - it may just be the UK.

- to get a JAA IR validated on the FAA PPL you'll need to do the FAA Instrument Rating Foreign Pilot exams. For a JAA IR holder these are fairly straight forward. The King IR written DVDs cover the syllabus, but they're pretty boring. There's nothing difficult in the exams, it's just a matter of learning the US peculiarities. Unless you want a second trip to the US, you must pass this exam BEFORE you apply for the PPL. They'll then issue the PPL and validate the IR at the same time when you visit the FSDO.

- before using the FAA PPL (with or without the IR) you need to do an FAA BFR. Those can certainly be done in the UK with any FAA CFI or CFII. I'd imagine that's the same Europe-wide.

IO540
8th Oct 2006, 21:45
I wouldn't entirely underestimate the FAA writtens.

Somebody who has just ground their way through the JAA ATPL exams will be fine, but somebody who did those some years ago will have forgotten most of the material.

The single FAA PPL exam contains more breadth IMHO than the 6 CAA PPL exams.

It's not hard stuff at all but I would recommend serious revision, using one of the computer practice packages, e.g. ASA.

H Ferguson
8th Oct 2006, 22:18
:

- before using the FAA PPL (with or without the IR) you need to do an FAA BFR. Those can certainly be done in the UK with any FAA CFI or CFII. I'd imagine that's the same Europe-wide.

FAA Biennial Flight Review ,i would like to get a FAA PPL on my JAA PPL (IAA) does anyone know any FAA CfI's in Ireland.

what's the fee(euro's) for a FAA PPL on my JAA PPL ?

do you send a cheque or do you pay for it when you collect it in the states

englishal
9th Oct 2006, 09:08
No fee....

You pick it up from the FSDO in the USA.....