PDA

View Full Version : liability to passengers??

nouseforaname
8th Oct 2006, 16:38
Decided to take someone for a ride in our Hughes today, my brother was flying and I decided to stay on the ground to make sure all the doors were shut and everyone was strapped in properly while he concentrated on the flying.

I put one passenger in the front and another in the back. After their 5min ride I was letting the lady out of the back, she stepped down from the helicopter with my help, when I thought she was firmly on the floor i stopped helping here, and she fell under the helicopter and broke here wrist as a result.

I felt really helpless and slightly responsible, i'm wondering if anything comes of this what kind of liability might i have to the passenger?

Do any of you guys put the little '....at own risk' notices in your helo's?

I know this may sound stupid to some of you but I think the way things are these days it may be necessary.

Any comments?

(helicopter is privately operated)

lartsa
8th Oct 2006, 17:17
(helicopter is privately operated)

but did she pay anything towards the flight that may be a very important issue

nouseforaname
8th Oct 2006, 17:56
definitely not........

mini
8th Oct 2006, 22:10
I stand to be corrected but I'm not sure any disclaimer notice would protect you from the more basic issues of duty of care etc.

It may deter the uninformed from pursuing the issue though...

topendtorque
9th Oct 2006, 06:40
1) i'm wondering if anything comes of this what kind of liability might i have to the passenger?

2) Do any of you guys put the little '....at own risk' notices in your helo's?

3) (helicopter is privately operated)

1) That would depend entirely upon the skill of the prosecution.

2) Doubt that it would be worth the paper it's scribbled on. Pony clubs etc used to try that stunt when organising gymkhanas etc with a form for parents to sign trying to isolate the club from liability. Fact was parents really are not able to sign away even their own childs rights at common law.

3) Ouch, never ever do anything without a public liability cover, and then never be found to be neglible as you will find the wrath of the insurance company as well as the aggrieved.

Oh, I forgot to mention the gestapo (CAA etc) in all this, had charter been attempted without the necessaries in place and they tumbled across it then the fine from them involves figures which dance in front of lots of noughts --- then you start to dance with the three points above.

nouseforaname
9th Oct 2006, 17:35
I just hope nothing comes of it. Was a serious eye opener though as to what can happen. Helicopters are far more dangerous than fixwing when taking friends for 'rides'. I shut down the other day and immidiately people started gathering around, frightened the shi:mad: out of me, the tail rotor has enough enertia to cut your head off well over 30secs after shutting down!