PDA

View Full Version : Exercise Indra Danush

ORAC
8th Oct 2006, 09:11
Best of luck. let us know how they get on.... :}

Times of India (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/2116563.cms) NEW DELHI: Much like the Americans, the British too are keen to evaluate the most potent fighter in the IAF fleet, the Sukhoi-30MKI "air-dominance" jets.

And what better way to do this than to take a high-voltage spin in the twin-seater Sukhoi-30MKI itself while it tears through the skies. Visiting Royal Air Force chief Air Chief Marshal Glenn Torpy, no mean pilot himself with some 4,300 hours of fast-jet flying, is ready for the challenge. "It will be a great opportunity since the Sukhoi-30MKI is one of the most modern fighters in the world,"said Torpy, talking exclusively to TOI on Saturday.

The RAF chief will take to the skies on Wednesday in Pune, even as his young pilots in their Tornado F-3 fighter jets take on IAF pilots flying Sukhoi-30MKIs, MiG-21 'Bisons' and MiG-27s in the ongoing joint combat exercise 'Indra Dhanush' at Gwalior and Agra.........

NutherA2
8th Oct 2006, 09:22
?MiG-21 'Bisons'?:confused:

A hybrid of some sort?

Rapscallion
8th Oct 2006, 09:31
?MiG-21 'Bisons'?:confused:
A hybrid of some sort?
Yep - IIRC, some refitted by the ruskies, some rebuilt by Hindustan Aeronautics (HAL) with upgraded cockpit/avionics/weapons capability etc.
Including active rdr missiles :cool:

Navaleye
8th Oct 2006, 10:20
The Flying Fin vs Sukhoi-30MKIs. That should be an interesting challenge. I'd like to be a fly on the wall at the de-brief after the first engagement. Worthy of some hearsay debate?

ZH875
8th Oct 2006, 11:15
Yep - IIRC, some refitted by the ruskies, some rebuilt by Hindustan Aeronautics (HAL) with upgraded cockpit/avionics/weapons capability etc.
Including active rdr missiles :cool:
Isn't it the "MiG-21bis"
http://www.aeronautics.ru/nws001/mig21indianipgrade001.htm

Conan the Librarian
8th Oct 2006, 12:24
Last year, there was a thread on Exercise Cope, which was between the IAF and USAF. I wish I could locate it - yes, I have tried - as it was interesting and informative in many ways. However, this link gives a flavour and supports the theory that Uncle Spam learned a lot from it.

The IAF pilots apparently gave a few surprises to the F-15s - even with the Bisons. I do look forward to seeing how "the few" carry on.

Good luck!

Conan

http://vayu-sena.tripod.com/exercise-cope-india-vayu.html

BombayDuck
9th Oct 2006, 04:24
ZH875

It is the Bison - 125 bis variants have been upgraded with a Russian radar, ECM, chaff/flare dispensers, RWR, HMS and cockpit bells-and-whistles, and as Rapscallion said now can fire the RVV-AE/R-77 (AA-12 Adder) along with the Archer.

Can someone tell me which type of Tornado aircraft are here? One report mentioned GR4s, this one says F3s. A mix of the two, then?

And since there are a lot of RAF personnel in the exercise (Indradhanush = Rainbow, btw), it is likely that a couple of you might be reading this - so enjoy your stay here, and have fun :)

Edit: Might as well add a link for the Bison (http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Images/Special/Bison/index.html) here....

Ghostflyer
9th Oct 2006, 05:40
I bet it will be a hand cuffs on exercise going something like this.

IAF, look we got 789 kills in the visual environment to your one. No will be allowed to ask the question "Was that before or after the telegraph pole that was launched at 20+ miles went through your windscreen?", "Before or after the Terminate?" or "Why did we have to stick together and fly through your kill zone, rather than operating as cooperative singletons?" etc etc.

The BAE rep will be standing by saying "See, you need another 200 Typhoons and we need another 500 billion to develop rocket vectoring thrust to beat the expected Cylon fighters coming into service in 2340!"

Remembering the wise words of MG from the AWC:

Its Ok to be cynical, just don't get bitter and twisted!

Ghost

Tombstone
9th Oct 2006, 08:03
Stay fast & blow through guys!

Stuff
9th Oct 2006, 09:52
Can someone tell me which type of Tornado aircraft are here? One report mentioned GR4s, this one says F3s. A mix of the two, then?

F3s at Gwalior

E-3Ds at Agra

May be others involved as I don't know the full picture.

London Mil
9th Oct 2006, 10:05
Wonder if he got himself a 2 star to sign-off his economy class air fare ticket?:ouch:

Glass Half Empty
9th Oct 2006, 10:50
F3s at Gwalior

E-3Ds at Agra

May be others involved as I don't know the full picture.

Let's hope the E-3D's have it

maxburner
9th Oct 2006, 18:53
Share Tip. Imodium.

Fire 'n' Forget
17th Oct 2006, 19:04
Anyone heard how 'we' got on then?

Can we start ordering F-22's yet

Backwards PLT
18th Oct 2006, 08:48
Also interested in any news (or even Rumours from a Professional Pilot:ooh:).

You would hope the F3s would do OK - maybe more prepared for the very dynamic (BVR) type of fighting than the F-15s were. Although I still believe most of the reports from the F15 exercise were funding motivated!

AI24
18th Oct 2006, 09:25
timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/2171142.cms

Mr Softeetop
18th Oct 2006, 10:37
Imodium WAS a big bonus. Thanks OSS for the supply...Forward thinking at its best.

Posted for a non-PPruner

Conan the Librarian
18th Oct 2006, 11:39
Nothing like a good Indian to give you the bum's rush, I suppose.

Conan

Navaleye
19th Oct 2006, 10:31
If the Times of India is to be believed then the F3s had a tough time. Anyone from the UK have more gen?

janner
19th Oct 2006, 12:19
Exercise suffered from being at the end of a long logistical and AT chain that is massively overstretched at the moment. It was also set up with very noddy (and flawed) weapons simulations.

However......

The IAF have some sharp pilots (who are bloody nice blokes) and they had no problems in visual combat with platforms that are superior to the F3.

BVR was a different matter with the F3 and E3 combo giving some very pleasing results and putting a few Su-30 MKI pilots' noses out of joint when their 'wonder-jet' didn't quite do the business.

So don't believe everything you read in the 'Times of India' Navaleye.

It was mainly a defence diplomacy exercise anyway.

Oh and the Samosas were great!

artyhug
19th Oct 2006, 12:27
Not as nice as the Kachauris though........

Navaleye
19th Oct 2006, 12:32
Thankyou Janner, most interesting. Does the F3 fleet still assume SARH adversaries during training?

artyhug
19th Oct 2006, 12:38
Would you like to know RNE for ASRAAM while you're asking........

Min Decent Ht
21st Oct 2006, 11:54
Everyone knows its 8.3

NoseGunner
22nd Oct 2006, 08:16
Maybe it would be reasonable to say that any fleet would train against the whole range of threats in the world today, whilst focusing on those they perceive they are most likely to fight. You would hope!

So A4s with 'winders it is!:}

BombayDuck
22nd Oct 2006, 19:05
thank you janner for our input! Most of us who keep track of events this side of the world do not believe the Times Of India anyway, so it is nice to have a real-world perspective!

Hope you enjoyed the tour!

(and now those boody Phalcons better come quick! :mad: )