PDA

View Full Version : Police Helicopter Emmerdale

whoateallthepies
8th Oct 2006, 06:04
Caught an episode of "Emmerdale" recently (I know, I should get out more).

Some interesting flying by a Jetranger tarted up in "Yorkshire Police" paint scheme. I know the director probably wanted lots of low-level exciting stuff so of course it bore little relation to what a real vehicle follow would have looked like. So Jetranger hovering over a public road at 10', zooming around as if cattle mustering, rather than maintaining observation (Respect to cattle musterers, by the way) is to be expected.

But I was wondering why on earth the pilot agreed to hover at 6' over a water-filled disused quarry? Not very bright? The aircraft was equipped with pop-outs but it would certainly have made good television if something had gone wrong. (Touch wood!).

I wonder how the lads and lasses at the Yorkshire units feel about how they were portrayed?

Back to the Telly

ShyTorque
8th Oct 2006, 07:33
I should think for a start they would object to being portrayed operating a single engined aircraft. :)

on21
8th Oct 2006, 10:09
Saw the episode it was ridiculous, but it’s TV, I’m sure the average Emmerdale viewer was too tied up in the story to give it a second thought. It’s a Helicopter that said POLICE on it, and it was blue and yellow, that’s is the only similarity to any ASU I know.
I’m just glad that Cain got the money, and that he left Sadie on the runway the conniving harlot. Home Farm has always had a curse and anybody that owns it will never be happy, you just have to look at history.
Frank Tate was never happy there and it destroyed his whole family, who next, because I’m sure Tom King can’t take much more.
The village has only just recovered from what was, and I believe still is Yorkshires worst aviation accident 30th December 1993, a real Kennedy moment.
Where were you that day, and why no accident report, why I'll tell you why.
IT'S TELIVISION!:ugh:

whoateallthepies
8th Oct 2006, 11:17
on21

Because I am exiled abroad we get the episodes a bit after you do. But now I know what will happen !!! :sad:

I thought it was all real!!!!! Well there's a real picture of me and some Paramedics from Yorkshire Air Ambulance on the wall of the Woolpack bar!
(Remember Jack Sugden being taken in the Bolkow?)

:cool:

Droopy
8th Oct 2006, 14:09
Err.... taken in what sense? There's not that much room in the back of a Bolkow :ooh:

on21
8th Oct 2006, 15:55
I vaguely remember Jack being in the Bolkow, was he surveying the devastation on the village whilst being airlifted from the crash site.

Have helicopters been seen in any other soap?

I can't remember any in Corrie or Easterners.

Maybe if an Air ambulance had been used on Renee Roberts she may still be here today after that terrible RTC whiles Alf was teaching her to drive.

whoateallthepies
8th Oct 2006, 18:25
Police helicopter crashed on Brookside.

Going back to the original post, why hover over the disused quarry? Bad enough with 2 engines (assuming only 1 would keep you airborne if the worst happened) but with one engine? :eek:

bladewashout
8th Oct 2006, 18:32
Twin squirrel in Spooks a while ago...

Bronx
8th Oct 2006, 18:57
Going back to the original post, why hover over the disused quarry?
Because if they did the shooting at a working quarry they'd have to pay for the loss of output for a day or two?
Because shots of a helo hovering high in the sky maintaining observation dont make good television?
Because hovering low over the water did?
Because the chances of the engine stopping were very very small?
Because 99.999% of the viewers dont know about the very small risk and just enjoy seeing a helicopter in action?
Because seeing as it's a British television program the other 0.001% get something to criticize another pilot about? :rolleyes:

PANews
8th Oct 2006, 19:48
Missed the moment [thank goodness] so I can only comment on your post.

I guess that it may have depended on where the director/script writer got their 'police air support' backgrounding. Clearly the source should not have been UK. There is nothing wrong in flying a 206/single in the UK in the police role but it is extremely unlikely in England and Wales. In all cases singles and such low heights are out of the UK level of acceptance. But.... it is not just engines that quit at 10 feet and we all know of a number of UK twin operators skids in water undertaking a rescue. Acceptable risk? Well perhaps.

But again a move across the Atlantic will find a significantly different attitude to 10 feet above water in a single. The 500 or so Vietnam era Bell OH-58s that do not seem to find nap of the earth flight too daunting... sometimes at high cost... probably have greater Hollywood exposure than European twins.

A major police unit in the USA thought nothing of flying a 206 at 200 feet over a crowded park at midnight. At near hover speed. Shock-horror!

A director who was exposed to US attitudes is unlikely to see the visual sense of the 'Yorkshire Police' objecting to low flight in a single on artistic grounds.

rudestuff
8th Oct 2006, 21:20
It never ceases to amaze me how 'safety conscious' they are in the UK - the whole 'must have 6 engines to do that...' attitude - yet they hire people to fly the north sea with 200 hours!

Over here (US) we think nothing of flying over cities at 200 - 300', or down the beach at 10' in a single engine, and all legal. I've never heard of anyone using a twin to do powerlines or pipelines over here - its not required.

Hovering over water - if you've got pop-outs, they'll still work under water, so at least you'll come back up!
"not very bright?" - perhaps, but we're helicopter pilots so none of us are. Helicopters are designed to fly in stupid/dangerous places other aircraft can't go. that's why we do it. If you can't handle it, you can always go F/W....

Heliport
8th Oct 2006, 22:13
PANews Clearly [if only from the comments] the source should not have be UK, although there is nothing wrong in actually flying a 206/single in the UK even if the movement of time has actually made such a move extremely unlikely in England and Wales.

You lost me. :confused:
I got stuck on "Clearly [if only from the comments] the source should not have be UK," and it didn't get any clearer as the sentence continued.

rudestuff
Not all UK pilots sing from the CAA hymn sheet.
Many comply because they don't have a choice, and would much rather fly under FAA rules if they did.

Boy In Blue
8th Oct 2006, 22:37
Dudes, keep up the good work. Feet on the ground and remember you're there to support the thin blue line not be Emmerdale stars! Cheers and thanks.

PANews
8th Oct 2006, 23:37
Heliport

Yes I agree it was utter crap!

Revised it a bit and I hope it now reads better!

Too much wine at lunchtime I guess!

Saint Evil
9th Oct 2006, 18:16
During the Great Storm in Emmerdale it was nice to see that the All weather Search and Rescue Aircraft from Leconfield attended the Woolpack in the Dark. They lifted Tricia but left the Dingle behind(not stupid then).

My Cabs been in Blue Peter and 999 - does that count and also BFBS Reports.

misterbonkers
10th Oct 2006, 14:21
Actually it was a day out that made a change from the usual AOC and Flight Training Sorties. Had problems catching the knackered Volvo with the Longranger. It was only a few stickers on the side and West Yorks ASU were aware of the activity.

CAA Ops Inspector was on hand to check and we were issued with a Rule 5 2 B Permission.

The director was aware of what a Police helicopter would actually do but as someone has already mentioned - its television - and designed to entertain the majority of the viewers.

The same Longranger will be appearing on your screens soon in a another installment of Diamond Geezer.

JB