PDA

View Full Version : The 'Super Station' Theory

liney spy
7th Oct 2006, 21:32
If we (RAF) are to reduce the amount of flying stations to a select group of heavily invested in 'Super Stations', how many will remain, which stations will be chosen, which aircraft will be where? and to what kind of timescale???

In my very limited subscription to rumour control, I have heard of the following ideas...

Brize: VC10,Tristar,C17 & Herc
Benson: Merlin, Chinook
Waddington: Sentry,Nimrod,Astor
Coningsby: Typhoon,Harrier
Marham: Typhoon
Lossiemouth: GR4

I'm not convinced - anyone else got any thoughts?
:confused:

ZH875
7th Oct 2006, 21:53
Scampton - The Red Arrows

That's all folks......

Confucius
7th Oct 2006, 21:56
If we (RAF) are to reduce the amount of flying stations to a select group of heavily invested in 'Super Stations', how many will remain, which stations will be chosen, which aircraft will be where? and to what kind of timescale???

In my very limited subscription to rumour control, I have heard of the following ideas...

I'm not convinced - anyone else got any thoughts?
:confused:

Heard similar.

And when the weather goes out in Eastern England our Air-Air, CAS, EW and airshow capabilty is zero.

When it goes out in Southern Scotland our 'strike' capability is zero

When it goes out in the South (wish I was there) our transport capability is zero.

Still, as long as it saves money, eh?

Maybe thats why everything that works is out in the middle ******* east.

reacher
8th Oct 2006, 01:18
WOW! You would have that many "super bases"? The RAAF is gearing up to have ONE (1)

Amberly will soon be home to C17, F111, A330 MRTT, DHC 4 Caribou (Soon to be C27J Hopefully), and probably most if not all of herc fleet as well as a SQN of the Dave when it arrives.

Something about eggs and baskets....

Mad_Mark
8th Oct 2006, 07:06
When it goes out in Southern Scotland our 'strike' capability is zero

I suggest you get your map out ;)

MadMark!!! :mad:

Pontius Navigator
8th Oct 2006, 07:12
You missed out the Dave.

Dave goes to Lossie and as the Tonka is at Marham the T-bag has to go to Leuchars.

Fitbin
8th Oct 2006, 09:39

Clearly all wrong.

1 super-base.

Northolt: Presidents flight.:E

BOAC
8th Oct 2006, 09:51
I suggest you get your map out - maybe he/she lives in Wick or even Saxa Vord? :)

JessTheDog
8th Oct 2006, 11:04
The "super bases" will end up in Labour constituencies! These tend to be urban, but I am sure the MoD will meet the challenge. ;)

modtinbasher
8th Oct 2006, 16:44
It's time for a Rapid Improvement Event! Why not as your friendly Admin (preferably female) staff what to do?

vecvechookattack
8th Oct 2006, 17:04
Is Dave going to Lossie? Is that the only place Dave will be based?

Confucius
8th Oct 2006, 17:40
I suggest you get your map out ;)

MadMark!!! :mad:

Obviously I was thinking Leuchars whilst reading Lossie. Whatever, it's all too far North, as anything North of BZN is.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
9th Oct 2006, 11:35
Wouldn't life become interesting if there was a widespread WX clamp (unknown in GB?) and a critical runway acquired a bent A/C.

GlosMikeP
9th Oct 2006, 11:51
Nope, it won't happen. MOD is bankrupt and it costs money to close stations. Daft really but life's like that sometimes.

Wader2
9th Oct 2006, 11:55
Is Dave going to Lossie? Is that the only place Dave will be based?

I believe that is the plan. Convenient for the airhead shipping supplies from the maufacturer and embarkation.

After all if it was good enough for the old FAA and the Ark, it should be good enough for the new CVF.

Tracey Island
9th Oct 2006, 12:26
Dave is going to Lossie because it's so noisy and Lossie is remote enough to not have to pay £sss in compensation to the local populace who live within 10 miles of Dave's runway and feel like claiming that they've gone slightly deaf.

JNo
9th Oct 2006, 15:11
Does this mean I can take my Puma home then?

buoy15
9th Oct 2006, 15:33
Liney
Limited subscription, so limited knowledge!
You are obviously not up to date with current affairs - as expected by OASC
ISK is secure with Nimrod MRA4 for the next 20 years - you need to know these facts if you are applying for a real job - flying in the RAF!
I suspect you are you phishing!:suspect:

Rigga
9th Oct 2006, 15:57
Dont be so complicated.
Brize Norton = Flying
Tern Hill = Fixing (well, you won't really need to maintain both aircraft at the same time, will you?)

BEagle
9th Oct 2006, 16:38
What is all this 'Dave' rubbish?

It sounds as lame as those spotter Wannabe magazine writers who used to call the Buccaneer the 'Brick' - or the Phantom F4J(UK) the 'Phantom F3'......

Archimedes
9th Oct 2006, 16:49
IIRC, the 'Dave' name seems to have originated from an earlier thread about the JSF's name, where it was concluded that 'Dave' was rather less lame than the shortlist General Moseley was choosing from.

Initially intended as a piece of sarcasm, it rather seems to have stuck...

liney spy
9th Oct 2006, 21:13
Liney
Limited subscription, so limited knowledge!
You are obviously not up to date with current affairs - as expected by OASC
ISK is secure with Nimrod MRA4 for the next 20 years - you need to know these facts if you are applying for a real job - flying in the RAF!
I suspect you are you phishing!:suspect:

no fooling you , eh sherlock? :\

liney spy
12th Oct 2006, 19:58
no fooling you , eh sherlock? :\

it wouldn't take a genius (or even an rupert) to see that judging by my username...........I don't need to join the RAF.

alex_holbrook
18th Oct 2006, 16:52
IIRC, the 'Dave' name seems to have originated from an earlier thread about the JSF's name, where it was concluded that 'Dave' was rather less lame than the shortlist General Moseley was choosing from.

Initially intended as a piece of sarcasm, it rather seems to have stuck...

Definitely agree there. The 'Black Mamba' had me in fits of hysterics. Dave it is then. ;) :}

NoseGunner
18th Oct 2006, 17:22
What is all this 'Dave' rubbish?

It sounds as lame as those spotter Wannabe magazine writers who used to call the Buccaneer the 'Brick' - or the Phantom F4J(UK) the 'Phantom F3'......

Bah humbug, damned impertinence. Wouldn't have happened in my day.

Beags, I dont even know you personally but I can picture you with pipe and slippers in front of a roaring fire!

A2QFI
18th Oct 2006, 17:33
Beags, I dont even know you personally but I can picture you with pipe and slippers in front of a roaring fire!
And probably roasting his chesnuts!:)

Mick Strigg
19th Oct 2006, 09:24
A Super Station - what's that? Do you mean an Air Station with 7+ Squadrons and 5+ different aircraft types?

Yes? Oh, you mean Yeovilton then!