PDA

View Full Version : Isn't it good news???

robin
7th Oct 2006, 19:17
I see the Dear Leader is magiking up resources for 'the lads'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5416222.stm

So how long will we have to wait, or is this another example of Blair's self delusions - ie all I have to do is announce it and it will happen.

I seem to recall from my history lessons that a certain A Hilter used to deploy non-existent troops and equipment. It didn't help much.

the funky munky
7th Oct 2006, 19:36
See the more Merlins thread. Apparently Denmark has not been putting much into NATO during this "hard time" so you lovely guys and girls get to play with the Danes new 101's with the metallic paintjob.

mbga9pgf
7th Oct 2006, 21:03
See the more Merlins thread. Apparently Denmark has not been putting much into NATO during this "hard time" so you lovely guys and girls get to play with the Danes new 101's with the metallic paintjob.

Thats great. Shame they cant buy crews to fly them :mad: :mad: :mad:

You cant just "Gash" a significant airlift capability, it has to be developed. Im sure it was someones job to brief the government about this, but they are probably enjoying their BWOS pension by now... :hmm:

ORAC
7th Oct 2006, 21:11
Blair is a lame duck PM, Gordon and the Treasury's reply is obvious in the article...

In response to Mr Blair's offer of resources, Brig Butler, the outgoing commander of the troops in the southern Helmand province, said helicopters had always been his top priority. "They are working very hard and there's been some phenomenal flying from the pilots in very difficult and dangerous conditions," he said. "If we had more, then clearly we could generate a higher tempo, not just offensive operations but also to crack on with the reconstruction and development. "Clearly, helicopters can't be grown overnight, nor can some of the other machinery - so there's a prioritisation that will have to be taken."

The Ministry of Defence said it was not aware of a specific request for extra helicopters from Brig Butler. "The commanders have what they need to do the mission, Obviously, if they had more they could do more with it. That is what Brig Butler has always said," am MoD spokesman said....

"And when the prime minister says that we will send as many men as our commanders require, where are we going to get them from?" .....

:* :* :hmm: :hmm:

nigegilb
7th Oct 2006, 21:42
Err, how about the 8 Special Forces Chinooks sitting around doing nothing. They are being flown regularly by brave test pilots. they could be signed off tomorrow, or have the fancy kit put in for £127m. Well, Blair has promised anything you want. How about it Tony?

Confucius
7th Oct 2006, 22:02
Mmm, "a promise by Prime Minister Tony Blair of whatever extra resources were needed."

That'll be a couple of dozen A-10s, some Apaches that work in hot 'n' high, another 2 doz. transport choppers and a handful of spectre/spooky C-130s then...

nigegilb
7th Oct 2006, 22:08
Oh and I forgot to mention the 2 hercs sitting on the pan at Marshalls. They have been over flown (due to OOA commitments) and are in need of a service. Trouble is can't be touched til the next financial year, no money you see. Err, still listening Tony? i think the crews at Lyneham would like to do some training some time soon......