PDA

View Full Version : pilots & fitness

divinesoul
7th Oct 2006, 09:18
Hi

Pilot is the only profession in this world where one has to repeatedly prove ones fitness.Now not all are blessed with the perfect body.so i was just wondering what do you guys as pilots do to maintain fitness and what life style changes have you made.

Also how do you deal with the anxiety that one day you can lose your licence and that will be the day you will have give up your job.
i am talking about Career pilots here not private pilots.

redsnail
7th Oct 2006, 11:17
Haven't changed a thing.

Don't smoke. Keep weight within reasonable limits. Exercise regularly. That can be in the form of going to the gym or going for a walk. Eat sensibly. Don't drink excessively too often. :E

As for the anxiety? I don't worry about it. I just make sure I have the appropriate insurance and go live my life.

Bad medicine
7th Oct 2006, 14:53
Hi
Pilot is the only profession in this world where one has to repeatedly prove ones fitness.

Not so. Commercial vehicle drivers, air traffic controllers, miners, members of the armed forces, and many other professions need to regularly undergo a check of medical fitness for their jobs.

Cheers,

BM

divinesoul
7th Oct 2006, 18:12
HI BM

OOPs i didnt think of that.Excuse me for my oversight.
well except for armed forces for the other professions are the medicals as stringent as for pilots.

thanks.

Hey redsnail

thanx for the post.

MorningGlory
12th Oct 2006, 16:52
:ok: Same as Redsnail. I don't worry about it ( in itself helps reduce anxiety!)

Eat healthy, ok the odd kebab won't kill you (here's hoping).. Go to the gym about twice a week, never smoked, and try to keep the beer sessions to a min'. :E :E

Loss of license insurance is worthwhile too!

Farmer 1
12th Oct 2006, 17:37
Don't confuse physical fitness with medical fitness.

Most pilot jobs do not actually require the pilot to be able to run a mile in five minutes, or even at all.

Daysleeper
12th Oct 2006, 20:51
Just to rehash my reply to a similar thread in the past------

Dunno bout best but most people I work with use a 5 point plan

coffee
biscuits
chocolate
booze
Indeterminate "meat" based product costing about 15 Euros from room service.

Sorry but thats the reality of flying.

Jinkster
12th Oct 2006, 21:26
as i did learn during pilot training

" A Fry up a day, keeps the doctor away " ;)

gingernut
12th Oct 2006, 21:50
You have so many breaths, when there gone, your finished, in the meantime redsnails advice probably can't be beaten:)