PDA

View Full Version : Garmin 1000 gotchas

Fuji Abound
7th Oct 2006, 09:15
I would be interested in any problems or idiosyncracies experienced using the Garmin 1000 particularly when being used for flying a flight plan on the autopilot.

denhamflyer
7th Oct 2006, 16:38
I use it regularily and have experienced no real problems (have had to fly manually in bumpy weather to keep pax happy :yuk: ) . However I have just had an annual and they applied some patches to the autopilot to correct "wing walk", there were two version one for those experiencing bad wing walk, and those with mild wing walk. I must be one of the lucky ones - since I have not suffered the problem.

Only annoyance I have had is that once you build a flight plan with user waypoints you cannot move the waypoint! (probably a good thing - but annoying when you just want to move it a mile to increase clearances)

Any particular problems in mind?

Fuji Abound
7th Oct 2006, 18:43
Denhamflyer

Thank you for your reply - PM sent.

scooter boy
9th Oct 2006, 08:05
285.7 hours on the G1000 in my Mooney ovation 2GX.
Nav lights were causing interference for a while, then the PFD and MFD refused to talk to eachother as they had slightly different software versions.
Then had a BF Goodrich TCAS fitted and created a further short bout of prima donna behaviour which has now been calmed down by those nice men at RGV.

Generally excellent hardware.

I couldn't fly IFR without it now,
SB

englishal
9th Oct 2006, 09:05
The "Altitude" preset on the G1000 is not tied to the AP (at least not yet). So when assigned a new altitude, you have to dial it into the G1000 and also the AP.

Great piece of kit though...

B2N2
9th Oct 2006, 13:02
Only annoyance I have had is that once you build a flight plan with user waypoints you cannot move the waypoint! (probably a good thing - but annoying when you just want to move it a mile to increase clearances)

Press Flightplan on the MFD, use the cursor (scale button) set it up the desired distance from your waypoint, use soft key at the bottom to load the waypoint, it will now become a user waypoint.
Insert user waypoint in the flightplan, delete the unwanted waypoint...Presto..!
I do not have a unit in front of me know, so it's from memory, but that should work.
Great feature that waypoints are NOT restricted to airports/navaids/intersections only.
You can literally make anything on the map(antenna/river/road) a waypoint for your flightplan.

denhamflyer
9th Oct 2006, 14:50
Thanks - that what I have to do. However there is an even nicer way to move a waypoint using the cursor (press to activate) then highlight/select the waypoint and drag it! Unfortunately if the waypoints in a flight plan - the "computer says no". Would be nicer with an "are you sure..." I quite often setup waypoints using a nearby VOR/Distance and then tweak them.

Also the pressure is not communicated to the autopilot , so triple setting the pressure on each change. Another minor is when setting a transition between altitudes - you need to set the rate and let it establish that actual rate before setting the altitude, otherwise it will continue on the current rate (even if its the wrong direction!). - this is more a function of the autopilot - rather than the G1000. I dont know if other installations have a better coupling to the autopilot? (im in a C182)

scooter boy
9th Oct 2006, 19:21
The S-TEC A/P in the Mooney communicates with the preset pressure and altitude (FL) on the PFD. Can also choose rate of climb/descent and it anticipates desired level and gives 2 auditory warnings - one at 1000' from selected level and the second 200' from it.
Makes SIDs and STARs far easier if single pilot in solid IMC - you need to monitor the A/P of course and stay ahead of it.
Garmin are apparently bringing out their own A/P for the G1000 - (I was told this 2 years ago - any more news anyone)?

SB

soay
9th Oct 2006, 20:26
Garmin are apparently bringing out their own A/P for the G1000 - (I was told this 2 years ago - any more news anyone)?
The fully integrated GFC 700 A/P is currently available on G1000 equipped Columbia's and the new Diamond DA40XL. It's still awaiting certification for the UK.

F900EX
10th Oct 2006, 00:52
The launch aircraft for the Garmin A/P was the Beechcraft Bonanaza & Baron.

Not flown it but rave reviews... I dont like the Stec set up and I dont think it will ever work 100 percent with the G1K

B2N2
10th Oct 2006, 13:01
Never liked the Stec autopilot either, flew it in an Archer III.
Too complex, actually have to read the manual on that one..:eek:

GFC 700 should now be available on the DA40/DA40XL series also.
haven't flown with it yet, looking forward to it though...flight director bars, TOGA button aaahhh....:8