PDA

View Full Version : File a flight plan in the night for long journeys or not?

Brian304
7th Oct 2006, 03:37
Just wondering everyone, if I wanted to fly in the night from like liverpool to aberdeen would I need to file a flight plan for it? and what other procedures would you reccommend as I only have a PPL and night rating.

Thanks

BRI ^^

Flyin'Dutch'
7th Oct 2006, 06:45
They reckon you should file a flightplan if your flight is over water or other inhospitable terrain. Not a legal obligation though.

The implication is that they will have somewhere to start looking if things don't go to plan.

In practical terms though you protect yourself better by getting a FIS from someone as that means that you have someone there and then if there is a problem and they will know where you are if that happens.

A personal ELT would be a good plan too.

GPS with up to date database and consider doing an IMC to hone your instrument and radionavigation skills would be good. The weather can and will change over the period of a few hours and especially outside the summer season low cloud and fog can spoil the day.

Have fun

FD

jabberwok
7th Oct 2006, 10:56
Ask yourself the same question when you are lying on a Scottish hillside in the pitch black and bloody freezing - knowing that no-one is coming for you. It's not the time to think "If only.."

It takes but a few seconds to bang a flight plan in, it's free and it could save your life. What rational arguement do you have for not filing one?

IO540
7th Oct 2006, 11:09
One needs to remember that a VFR flight plan (or an IFR flight plan filed via VFR addressing, which is what you tend to get as an IMC Rating holder if filing an FP which is "obviously" outside the Class A airways system, via your local airfield) is not looked at unless there is an incident.

Then, they will be expecting the declared route to have been the one flown, not some other route 30 miles off. Yet, flying VFR OCAS, people are free to wonder about, but in that case don't expect the flight plan to be very useful for search & rescue.

If flying in remote areas (the UK does just about qualify, in some places) or over water, I would always carry an EPIRB which is a handheld ELT. These are about £500. Plus a liferaft over water; these start at about £1000.

gcolyer
7th Oct 2006, 11:29
ENR 1-10-3

1.4 When to file a flight plan
1.4.1 A flight plan may be filed for any flight
1.4.2 A flight plan must be filed for the following:
(a) for all flights within Class A Airspace:
(b) for all flights within any controlled airspace in IMC or at night, except for those operating under SVFR:
(c) for all flights within any controlled airspace in VMC if the flight is to be conducted in accordance with IFR:
(d) for all flights within class B-D controlled airspace irrespective of weather conditions:
(e) For any flight from an aerodrome in the United Kingdom being a flight whose destination is more than 40km from the aerodrome of departure and the maximum total weight exceeds 5700kg:
(f) For all flights to or from the United Kingdom which will cross the united Kingdom FIR Boundary:
(g) For any flight in Class F airspace wishing to participate in the Air Traffic Advisory Service:
1.4.3 The occasions on which a flight plan must be filed are specified at paragraph 1.4.2, sub-paragraph (d),(e),(f) and (g) (further details on VFR flight plans are paragraph 3).
1.4.4 It is advisable to file a flight plan if the flight involves flying oversea, more than 10nm from the UK coastline, or over sparsely populated areas where Search and rescue operations would de difficult.

So i would say yes you need to file a flight plan.

You are now free to have a coffee or another pick me up :8