PDA

View Full Version : Could you help a complete novice looking to fly out of Blackpool?

Lil Dee
6th Oct 2006, 11:36
My friend is looking to surprise his partner with a trip out to a flying school (long story, but ultimately looking at a career enhancement, as well as a nice birthday surprise !) to see how they feel about being 'behind the wheel'.

Now, what with you guys being the kind that frequent this kind of airport, I'm hoping you can give us some pointers. There seems to be several different flying schools, and of course they all have their own packages. Is anybody able to give us some feedback on which direction we should be looking ?

Anyone got any personal experience of any of the schools/packages and able to comment ? Appreciate any help you can give. :ok:

Thanks in advance.

FlyingForFun
6th Oct 2006, 12:26
My personal recommendation would be Westair, but then I am slightly biased because I used to work there until recently.

In fact, they are all good schools except for Comed, who you should keep well clear of. If your friend lives anywhere near the airport, the best advice would be to go and visit each school, explain what you want, and then go with whichever you feel most comfortable with.

FFF
---------------

tonyhalsall
6th Oct 2006, 13:04
I was taught at Blackpool Air Centre and enjoyed the training and I also found the Owner to something of a 'character.' I visited many schools but opted for Blackpool Air Centre because of the Owner.
Be aware that he is not everyone's cup of tea and you should keep your sense of humour with you at all times but there is nothing he does not know - particularly about PA-28's.
I have read and heard many critical comments about his character/attitude, his business starategies and his relationships with other commercial enterprises - including Blackpool Council - but he gets my vote any day. I'd rather be taught by an Examiner with 1,000's of hours on type than an 'hour builder' en route to a bigger job. Having said that, I am not sure just exactly how much training he now does himself or whether he delegates - It was 20 years ago when he gave me my wings

soay
6th Oct 2006, 13:32
I learnt at Westair and still rent their C172s. They are honest as the day is long, but suffer from the usual problem of high instructor turnover, because of the poor rates of pay. That's not just at Westair, but due to the intense competition to attract new customers by keeping prices low.

There's a lot of upheaval going on at Blackpool International, which may result in some of the smaller schools shutting up shop, but I get the impression that Westair will still be there when the developers have finished hacking it about.

JUST-local
6th Oct 2006, 21:25
I fly out of Blackpool and would recommend it! :ok:
Fixed wing.
Air Navigation & Trading Co (ANT)
Blackpool Air Centre
Comed Flight Training
Westair
Rotary.
Heli 2000
Helicentre
All the above based at Blackpool offering PPL training/ self fly hire etc.
As mentioned before take a look around each place have a chat with an instructor have a look at one of the aircraft, it will then all fall into place.
All the above have web sites which are easily searchable!
Good luck!

Beethoven
7th Oct 2006, 12:17
Me too..Learned and passed PPL at Blackpool and can't recommend Westair highly enough. Shame about the turnover of instructors but that's the same anywhere. I always found them to be very accomodating, friendly and helpful. Stilll a member there even though I now live down south.
Beet.

Lil Dee
9th Oct 2006, 07:11
Guys/Gals, many thanks for your input. I will pass the information on to my friend asap, so he can make a rather more informed decision that before.

Appreciate you taking time out to reply to a relative 'newbie'. :ok: