PDA

View Full Version : PDMG 747-400 Sim Hardware

'holic
6th Oct 2006, 03:24
Hi all,
I'm looking at buying the PDMG 744 add-on for FS2004 to keep my hand in for simulator checks and have a couple of questions for anyone who flies the 400 and uses this product.

Firstly, there's a lot of different joystick/thrust control/rudder hardware available, so before I fork out a couple of hundred dollars for the wrong gear, what combination of hardware do you use to make the sim as realistic as possible?

Secondly, and more importantly, do you think that this product is a positive training tool for your handling skills (as opposed to doing nothing:)) or does it introduce bad habits?

Cheers

Brian Abraham
7th Oct 2006, 02:12
'holic - I've an article written by 747 Virgin Atlantic Captain Jon Bunting who uses the PMDG for the reason you describe. Speaks very highly of its training value but does not detail what hardware he uses . You could perhaps get in touch with him through the airline. Can scan and send if you want to PM with email addy.

speedrestriction
7th Oct 2006, 21:31
I don't fly anything near a 744 (and won't for probably 20 years) but with regards to FS as a trainer I would say that I find it good for procedural flying but don't feel it has any real value in terms of handling (due to lack of control feedback). The best thing is that it keeps your scan in reasonable shape.

I have no idea of your experience level, but the one thing I would say is that it is possibly useful to practice your scan on something that is non EFIS as well due to the fact that not all sim assessments will be done on EFIS / partial EFIS equipped types (eg no speed/alt tapes). My suggestion re hardware would be a basic joystick with a throttle lever and a BIG monitor to stop you going cross-eyed.:8

sr