PDA

View Full Version : Backtrack

Fuji Abound
5th Oct 2006, 20:15
Put simply must a back track be explicitly requested. (Clearly it would be sensible to ask, but if the pilot is given a clearance to line up is the pilot only entitled in all circumstances to line up at the point of entry).

FlyingForFun
5th Oct 2006, 21:07
I assume we're talking about a field with ATC?

I think it's true to say that yes, you can only backtrack if specifically cleared to do so. However, what is certainly true is that if there is any doubt at all, ASK! I suggest something like: "G-CD request backtrack".

FFF
-----------

SkyHawk-N
5th Oct 2006, 21:18
It's also useful for the guys in or approaching the circuit to hear. I would also add additional info to give others an idea of your intentions, i.e. "G-CD request backtrack to Charlie" or "G-CD request backtrack for departure", etc.

Chilli Monster
5th Oct 2006, 23:41
If ATC are happy with a backtrack, it should be included in the line up / take-off clearance.

SOP where I work is the big boys taxy to the end for departure, light aircraft go to an intermediate point which still gives them 1500m+ or 2000m+ depending on the runway in use. Means you can get the light stuff away in front of the big guys thereby negating the 3 minute vortex wake separation sometimes. If a C172 or similar decided they wanted to backtrack from that point, with or without asking, he would probably incur some form of displeasure and probably get delayed!

Flyin'Dutch'
6th Oct 2006, 00:55
Even a '172 Heavy'?
:}

EastMids
6th Oct 2006, 13:30
SOP where I work is the big boys taxy to the end for departure, light aircraft go to an intermediate point which still gives them 1500m+ or 2000m+ depending on the runway in use. Means you can get the light stuff away in front of the big guys thereby negating the 3 minute vortex wake separation sometimes. If a C172 or similar decided they wanted to backtrack from that point, with or without asking, he would probably incur some form of displeasure and probably get delayed!

Backtrack from Sierra or Mike??? :ugh: Its about time you started letting us depart 27 from Mike, never mind taxi-ing to Sierra or backtracking! :ok:

A

Chilli Monster
6th Oct 2006, 23:02
Its about time you started letting us depart 27 from Mike, never mind taxi-ing to Sierra

Ah, but where would the commercial stuff vacate when they're inbound? Vacating them at 'H' (if you were blocking 'M') would mean an increase of 3 miles spacing on the ILS between each one :O