PDA

View Full Version : Who should I fly with??

J32/41
5th Oct 2006, 09:32
Just wondered if anyone can help.

Which airline should I fly with to Montreal from London in January?

Thanks

slim_slag
5th Oct 2006, 09:42
The cheapest

Final 3 Greens
5th Oct 2006, 10:44
The one that best meets your requirements.

manintheback
5th Oct 2006, 11:33
To alter a quote of somebody or other who I cant remember the name of.

'The one you think will disappoint you the most, then you'll be least disappointed'

personally, if economy go direct with the cheapest. Take your own food and entertainment.

goshdarnit
5th Oct 2006, 12:30
Your spouse / significant other? (unless it's a guys weekend, then fly with the guys).

J32/41
5th Oct 2006, 16:01
The cheapest

Ok, I should have put more in my original question. :confused:

It will be economy and all the airliners are much the same price to be honest, so, B.A, AA, Air Canada, Air France, Delta, United, KLM, Continental, Lufthansa or BMI?

Thanks

Mercenary Pilot
5th Oct 2006, 16:04
Avoid Air France at all costs...AWFUL!!!:yuk:

CHIVILCOY
5th Oct 2006, 16:06
No competition.
British Airways

Final 3 Greens
5th Oct 2006, 16:24
BA or LH further text entered to fool system

slim_slag
5th Oct 2006, 16:24
Ok, I should have put more in my original question.Out of that lot I'd fly the cheapest non-stop.

10secondsurvey
5th Oct 2006, 17:50
I guess it really depends upon your own priorities. Do you look for the dirt cheapest price, or are you interested in comfy seats or are you looking for in flight entertainment. Food may also be important. Despite what some people say,there are differences in levels of service even within economy. Have a look at each airlines website to check on food, seating and general service levels. Also consider the flight timings, do you want to leave early or late in the day.

Are you connecting from a regional flight to London, as you may want to look at the flight connectivity, as not all airlines will check your baggage all the way through.

I'd say BA, but the legroom in economy on BA (31") is pretty poor, and may be better on Air Canada (32-34"), if you travel on one of their airbus flights.

For seating, have a look at seatguru.com

That's my thruppence worth.

richxby
5th Oct 2006, 18:09
How about Zoom?

http://www.flyzoom.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=pubDsp.dspHome

Don't know much about them, but worth a try?

slim_slag
5th Oct 2006, 18:23
The problem with highlighting minimal differences in service levels is you might actually build up expectations that one carrier is significantly better than the next one, and you might build up expectations that the flight is something to look forward to.

One carrier might have been better 20 years ago but it isn't the case today. So take the cheapest flight and if you don't enjoy it, and lets face it who does enjoy being in the back of a transatlantic plane, at least you know you paid the lowest price going.

PaperTiger
5th Oct 2006, 18:44
Ok, I should have put more in my original question.Yep, like the origin :confused:

Unless you don't mind connecting flights in a third country.

DG101
5th Oct 2006, 21:10
Avoid the US carriers - the cabin service is p1ss p00r, and the aircraft tend to be "tired".
I.e. the seats and IFE in economy may be overdue for some maintenance. I haven't used all the carriers on your list, but, of those I have tried, BA comes out tops.

Personally, I'd try Air Canada, just to see how it measures up. It must be better than the US carriers.

10secondsurvey
5th Oct 2006, 21:25
Differences in service levels in economy can be quite significant. Food, inflight entertainment and quality of cabin crew all vary. Economy long haul is not the same as short haul, and aside from legroom, I actually think BA is much better than most.

My advice would definitely be to decide on what is most important to you, choose carefully, and you will get an airline that gives a service most suited to your needs. Seat pitch for example might be irrelevant if you are very small, but food might be important, if you have specific dietary requirements, or you really, really want to get some free wine/alcohol with your inflight meal (as not all carriers offer these services to the same degree). Likewise inflight entertainment.

It really depends on your own priorities.

Globaliser
6th Oct 2006, 10:19
The problem with highlighting minimal differences in service levels is you might actually build up expectations that one carrier is significantly better than the next one, and you might build up expectations that the flight is something to look forward to.

One carrier might have been better 20 years ago but it isn't the case today.There can be significant difference between carriers, which are worth any passenger looking into. Will you get an amenity pack? What will be in it? (Toothbrush and toothpaste were very welcome on a "no liquids/pastes brought on board" flight.) Is there a pillow and a blanket for everyone? Is there personal seatback TV? Is there a charge for alcohol? Do the cabin crew do drinks runs during the cruise? Will they answer the call bell? Differences still exist in these areas, and inexperienced flyers reguarly report appreciating the small extra touches provided by the airlines that do.

I agree with others, though, that a non-stop flight would be the first filtering criterion, if the prices are all broadly equal.

It would still help to know where the OP is starting from!

Middle Seat
6th Oct 2006, 14:35
if you're a mileage whore, do it an affordable way that maximizes your earnings. Why go nonstop when there's a published routing with a double connection? :8

p290951
8th Oct 2006, 00:33
I have just flown "Zoom" YYZ/GLA /YYZ and was very happy with their service and "food". Hope this helps.