PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed from existing CX flight crew

makchunyinjohnny
4th Oct 2006, 14:17
Hi everyone,

I want to start my flight trainning soon, with the ultimate goal of being employed by Cathay. which country's licence(FAA or JAA) do they(HR or interviewers) prefer? Which one has the advantage to convert to a HKCAD one? I heard the FAA ATPL needs more theory exams to be converted on a HKCAD.

I'm 24 yrs old now, am I too old to start? I have gliding experience, does it help?

Thank you and have a nice one.

Johnny

moosp
9th Oct 2006, 13:23
CY

We are now interviewing pilots with 8,000 hours jet experience for First Officer positions on the freighter aircraft, B747 and B747-400. So I guess that is not your expected path.

For S/O positions the first thing you need is PR in HKG. After that you need enthusiasm, education and capability. You are not too old to apply, and gliding shows that you are interested in aviation.

If you have the above, why not send your CV to CX recruiting? No one ever got hired who didn't...

And like the Air Force recruiter said to me years ago, "If you have to ask me who to call, perhaps you do not have the initiative to join."

Best of luck

cpdude
9th Oct 2006, 21:13
Johnny...why CX? Dont set your sights so low. Shows lack of ambition.
:rolleyes:

Your sh*tty attitude is beginning to bore me.:yuk: :zzz:

Aussie
10th Oct 2006, 00:15
Johnny...why CX? Dont set your sights so low. Shows lack of ambition.
:rolleyes:

Thats one hell of an attitude u got there mate!

Harbour Dweller
10th Oct 2006, 02:25
FCUX,

Everybody is entitled to their opinion.

Out of interest, which airline would you suggest this young, keen aviator set his sights on?

junior_man
10th Oct 2006, 03:10
We had to take four tests to convert a US ATP to HK ATP. None of them were that hard.
As far as where to get your training and licenses? Look at several things. It will cost you far less to fly in the USA. There are far more airplanes in the USA.
Look at the other options if you get a license, just in case you need to get some experience to get hired at CX, or in case they don't hire you (happens to some good people at any airline).
Do you have the right to work in the UK or EU? If you don't could you get it? Do you have the right to work in the US or could you get it? Might try to match your license to the country where you could work.
Some flight schools in the US may help to get you the right to work or get you a visa to work for them as a CFI.
There are a lot of jobs in the USA, although right now the decent airlines (except FEd Ex & UPS) are not hiring. That may change by the time you have the experience to get a job.

makchunyinjohnny
10th Oct 2006, 11:20
Thanks for the advice. That's a good call, I never looked at it that way. 4 tests only? I thought we would need a lot more. which ones are they? It doesn't include boring aviation law, does it?

I am currently doing a JAR-PPL, but I am having second thoughts and thinking of getting it done in the U.S. because it is cheaper and probably helps when the weather is good all year round, unlike here, which we have to pray for VMC for 1hr VFR flight. I have done some research, the 1000hr pro pilot course from Orlando Flight Training http://www.flyoft.com is pretty attractive. The problem is that it is FAA and obviously I am not a U.S. national. I would like to have instructor ratings, but will they let me enrol such a course?(I have British citizenship) Is it hard to get a working visa in the U.S.?

By the way FCUX, I believe that Cathay Pacific is one of the best airlines and I like her multi-cultural enviroment as well.

Cheers,

Johnny