PDA

View Full Version : ADSL2+ vrs ADSL in Australia

Ejector
4th Oct 2006, 08:27
In Australia we have this ADSL2+ claiming speeds of 24000k/1000k, in reality it seems closer to 1500/300 due to many factors. Now looking at Normal ADSL, when they say 1500/256 is it actually that, or is it down to to 1/20th of that like ADSL2+ ??

THX:)

Binoculars
4th Oct 2006, 22:05
I haven't experienced ADSL2, but how are you getting your estimates of speed? You'll rarely get the maximum download speed possible due as you say to varying factors along the way, but my 1500kb/s, at 8 bits to a byte, has a theoretical maximum speed of around 185KB/s, and I usually get around 150. If you really are getting such drastically low speeds and not simply confusing kilobits with kilobytes, you should be having stern words to your provider.

Disclaimer: Don't listen to me, I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. :uhoh:

Oceanz
8th Oct 2006, 13:51
You can check the tested speeds of various ISP's at:
http://www.tcpiq.com - most of the people who contribute to the tests have their speed tested 4 times daily, so the figures are fairly accurate averages :cool:

Pretzal
8th Oct 2006, 13:52
ADSL2 speeds are determined by many things but one of the major ones is your distance from the exchange. This is not something the provider has any control over. My provider quotes a maximum of 24000kbps and I actually get about 7100kbps. So at top speed when I am downloading something, I see actual speeds up around 700kbps. This, you would agree, is much faster than any 1500kbps connnection I know of (which would see your actual download around 150kbps)!!!