PDA

View Full Version : Passes on CX

R2000/1830
4th Oct 2006, 01:46
I have passed my first interview and will be doing my second one soon. Just wondering if I get the job, how many passes will I get for me, my family and if they have any buddy passes.

cpdude
4th Oct 2006, 02:22
I have passed my first interview and will be doing my second one soon. Just wondering if I get the job, how many passes will I get for me, my family and if they have any buddy passes.

Hahahahahahahahahaha!:} Joke right?

Sqwak7700
4th Oct 2006, 06:05
No "free" passes my friend. Sorry, not here. You and your immediate family have unlimited staff travel privileges on CX, but you are charged for every ticket you use. Regional travel is reasonable, but charges on longhaul are pretty high once you factor in the fuel surcharge. :ouch:

For example, LAX to HKG in economy (y class) will run you almost $200 USD one way. Your family does get to travel on the jumpseat if needed (kids 12yrs or older) which is kind of cool.

You are also allowed one travel companion who gets 12 one way staff tickets per year, but I think this is only for single people. Your parents are also allowed 12 one way tickets each.

R2000/1830
4th Oct 2006, 21:57
I did not think that they would give "free" buddy passes but what about ID90 or ID75's, just wondering what I can expect to get for my friends who want to visit me and my wife in HK.

Pigsfly
4th Oct 2006, 22:14
Absolutely nothing. Its for family and if you think that the system is not policed with asian CSI HK efficiency..........just try mess with it.

R2000/1830
5th Oct 2006, 00:03
No employee discount on tickets at all for your friends to come visit you? is this correct? sorry if I seem slow to understand this but even the smallest of companies here in Canada give some form of buddy pass. I dont really care that much, if I get the job most of my friends are airline pilots that can see me on there own passes. I was just hopeing to have a few to give to non-flying friends.

cpdude
5th Oct 2006, 00:13
No employee discount on tickets at all for your friends to come visit you? is this correct? sorry if I seem slow to understand this but even the smallest of companies here in Canada give some form of buddy pass. I dont really care that much, if I get the job most of my friends are airline pilots that can see me on there own passes. I was just hopeing to have a few to give to non-flying friends.

You're lucky they still give you a free ticket that you pay for!:bored:

sizematters
5th Oct 2006, 00:50
Now Now guys, enough of the wind up,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

you can have as many "Buddy Passes" as you like, you can buy them along with the rest of the general public at any tavel agent or even online, they are called "Full Fare Tickets"

OK ???:ugh:

SOPS
8th Oct 2006, 16:35
RJ2000...welcome to what the rest of us call "The real world":ugh:

SIC
9th Oct 2006, 09:22
Does CX allow business class ID90 's for staff and family?? My parents are a bit old and getting them to come and visit in HK in economy will be painfull??

Kane Toed
9th Oct 2006, 12:17
Does CX allow business class ID90 's for staff and familyYes, but kids must be >12 and there are dress rules (NO DENIM). Of course you will be downgraded / kicked off if there are no J class seats available - which is pretty common on some routes.

bretofdfw
1st Sep 2008, 06:41
This looked like the best thread to apply this post in....

I am coming on this fall as a new hire DESO, (supposedly) 744 in HKG. My wife and I live in LA right now and just found out she is going to have to stay in LA for her job, at least for a while. Her income far more than pays the difference in travel costs, and we wouldn't want her to quit until I make FO. They will let her come to HKG for a couple of months while I'm in training but that's all. Thus, it looks as if I will be commuting!

Does anyone have the ID90 or ZED fares for Business Class LAX-HKG roundtrip? I can't fathom doing this with any frequency in tuna class. With 3 flights a day (4 if I include the cheap hop to SFO), are my chances pretty good of getting a seat on any given day? If seats show as available, am I assured of getting on with an ID90 or ZED? Are there any issues I need to be aware of with this (other than just get my tail to work on time!)?

Thanks!

ACMS
1st Sep 2008, 07:18
I think that kids have to be 16 or 18 to travel in J class now.

I asked Bob N and he said "it's industry standard, so suck it up"

Well mates in Qf can take their young kids in J class.

So you suck it up Bob:=

ACMS
1st Sep 2008, 07:21
LAX HKG LAX in J class is: $3558 HKD or $456 USD

LAX HKG LAX in Y class is: $1838 HKD or $235 USD

Sourced from Travel desk CX Fare quote.

New Joiners have to wait 6 months for ID travel.

flyhardmo
1st Sep 2008, 13:30
New Joiners have to wait 6 months for ID travel.

Not for your domicile. You get it from day 1.

ACMS
1st Sep 2008, 14:45
You mean ID travel only on CX back to your domicile?

Fair enough.

Apple Tree Yard
1st Sep 2008, 23:37
you're leaving your wife in LA..? do you have ANY IDEA as to how stressful this will be on your marriage? Working for CX is NOT like working for a 'normal' airline. Not quite sure you have given this a very realistic assessment. If you're coming to HK...I suggest she comes with you. Otherwise, you will find that your upgrade to FO will help pay for the inevitable divorce....:{

goathead
2nd Sep 2008, 00:21
you will be far better off ,seriously...

bretofdfw
2nd Sep 2008, 00:49
Thanks for the marital advice. :)

Seriously, we will play it by ear. They had said it was fine for her to work in HKG all along, and then we found out last week that might not be the case. No matter what, we'll need a few months to unwind things if she's quitting and I will have to commute some. Thanks for the info.

Per the earlier posts, I was asked in the interview process to name my home domicile and obviously chose LAX. I've been told by CX that I can ID90 to LA at any point in Coach or Business, space available. It is true that I am not allowed to use the ID90's anywhere else for 6 months.

ACMS
2nd Sep 2008, 02:58
ring staff travel in HKG on 852 2747 2222

They should be able to give the 100% latest info.

DDDOF
2nd Sep 2008, 07:38
Bretofdfw
By the way we are cutting back on LAX service shortly to 2 flights a day. And getting on Staff travel with your date of hire, basically newest of new, out of LAX in winter to HKG will make getting to work next to impossible.
There are weight restrictions on those flights due winter winds. They have 2 late night departures, can't remember if it is one of those that is getting cancelled. Anyhow the 2 flights leave within 2 hours of each other, and what they usually do is try to find anyone who is at the airport early and checking in for the second flight, they tell them about the possibility of a tech stop for fuel, and ask if they would like to go on the earlier flight. Most people say yes thinking they will get there earlier than their originial flight. So they load up the 1st flight with as much as they can and tech stop it in TPE, ICN, etc which allows them to send the second flight non stop as they have moved 2nd flight pax to the 1st. It's priceless to see peoples faces when they are collecting their bags in HK and realize the flight they were originally booked on and were talked out of taking has beaten them to HK and those pax have already gotten their bags and have left the airport.
SFO can usually make it as it but it also sometimes has to stop. So if you can pick a flight to staff travel on, the one that makes a tech stop for fuel will be lighter out of LAX or SFO as it doesn't have to carry as much fuel so it can carry more pax and bags, if they decide they must put any cargo of any sort on, then foget about it.
By the way if you put in for a Super Compact roster you will in all likely hood get 2 LA's back to back, which should get you some time at home.
Of course this will all change once the 777ER takes over sometime??? Which will mean no tech stops but less seats.
So in summary carry a picture of your wife with you as that may be all you see of her for a while.

sjj
2nd Sep 2008, 10:58
Mate,
I did the commute from HK to syd during training, and it sucked some serious balls! And that's a 9 hour commute on basically the same time zone!

Getting seats was never really an issue...I think there were 3 flights per day at the time (A330). Mind you, it was always a little nerve racking waiting on the flights on the way back. Thankfully the Syd check-in staff are much nicer than the trolls in honkers.

The big problem was getting the time to get home. Somehow (and this is my experience...not necessarily that of everyone) i seemed to get an event every 4-5 days, pretty well making the commute unrealistic. (1 day used to get home, plan to get back in HK a day early to have some fat if I miss a flight, a day back...leaves me with 1-2 days home) So anyway...after not seeing wifey and the ankle-biters for 3 months....well..you get the picture!

I'm 744, so that might make a difference if you're scarebus or 777, but i don't know. All I do know is that given the chance to do it all again.....i wouldn't. No amount of beer washes away the taste of balls.