PDA

View Full Version : Hour Building

Ian_Wannabe
3rd Oct 2006, 22:57
Hey everyone - Im planning on doing some hour building abroad next summer so here's a few questions....

For those people who have done it.... where did you go, what clubs did you use... and most importantly, how much on average did you have to save to do it... Say, if i went for 2 weeks, flying every day to try and hit 40 hours in a PA28 or a Cessna 150 to make it as cheap as poss....

I've been to San Digeo before to get my PPL, so i'm familliar with the whole west v's east with regards to Wx.

I'm open to opinions of flying in spain, america, south africa etc etc... Just trying to get a feel for what people have done, your experience and your recommendations

I know its pretty open ended and none specific but i'm open to anything, it'd be nice to get to see some more of the world whilst i'm flying it...

Cheers guys

Ian

pilot-320
4th Oct 2006, 00:55
I was at the same position looking for hourbuilding and finally decided to finish off my training in Greece. Anyway thats me but for ur question check that:www.egnatia-aviation.com

I find it cheap and worthy!!:D

pilotjax
4th Oct 2006, 13:01
a few years back I went to Ormond Beach Aviation to burn cheap avgas. Based in Florida just north of Daytona international. www.flyoba.com (http://www.flyoba.com)

The main stay of the business is to churn out PPL's in minimum time. They offer packages including accomodation in houses about 10 -15 mins walk from the airport. When I was there fleet was mainly C150's with a couple of C152's, a PA28 and a Seneca.

One part of the entertainment I remember was being asked to ferry an instructor to rescue a student on a qualifying cross country that landed at the wrong airfield, a nice distraction from cruising the cost line watching the scenery.

Flying in Florida was excellent. USA is good value even through you now have to jump through hoops of red tape to demonstrate you are not a terrorist.

EGBKFLYER
4th Oct 2006, 13:15
One tip for wherever you go and whatever you fly:

Don't just burn holes in the sky - use the time to tune your skills in a structured way, e.g. increase your accuracy with height-keeping and heading-holding, do some radio nav, fly a load of PFLs, stalls, steep turns etc until you can do them really well.

In short, make the most of the time - it will help when you come to do the IR and CPL and you may even be asked to explain what you did at a future interview (clue: 'I flew up and down the coast for 40hrs' is not a good answer).

Enjoy!

Ian_Wannabe
4th Oct 2006, 20:36
Good advice EBGK I'll be sure to bare that in mind and thanks for the other replies - any more?

I'm considering getting my Night Rating whilst i'm doing this also... but just to confirm, you need 250hrs flight time before you can commence right? Does this flight time start from your first P1 after you pass your check, or is it a total including P/UT hours too?

Cheers guys

Ian

mcgoo
4th Oct 2006, 20:43
No, I did my night qualification within my PPL, there is no hour restriction.

Ian_Wannabe
4th Oct 2006, 20:44
Where the buggery did I pluck that silly little number from then....:confused: