PDA

View Full Version : Horizon BBC2- how to survive

ferd
3rd Oct 2006, 22:48
Just watched Horizon, How to survive a plane crash. I'm slightly bemused to be honest, it seemed to boil down to listen to the crew. Anyone else see it?

RVR27/09
3rd Oct 2006, 23:20
Watched bits of it, during a tea break & came to the same conclusion after a few mins.;)

vodkaholic
4th Oct 2006, 11:34
not all of it was like that. there were a few good tips that passengers can do for themselves, but really in reality it does boil down to listen to the cabin crew anyway, because we are there primarily for their safety and that's the reason we go through weeks and weeks of SEPs and the passengers have not done that. was an interesting programme all the same.

ex jump pilot
4th Oct 2006, 17:23
Was taken by two things...
1) People suffer reversion under stress. The example was that people expect the seat belt mechanism to be the same as a car (i.e. you push a button to undo the belt).

2) Some people inflate the life jacket in the cabin which leads to difficulties in swimming out of a door. That ignores the fact that many aircraft fly where the water is somewhat cold and I doubt many people would survive in the water temperatures very long. However, where an aircraft comes off the end of the runway into water, perhaps survival is longer.

I felt the programme was made up of "old clips" to fill 50 minutes.

11K-AVML
7th Oct 2006, 17:49
I felt the programme was made up of "old clips" to fill 50 minutes.Didn't see it myself as I was up in the air, but that's exactly the impression I got from the trailers and comments from colleagues and family members who did see it. Old advice regurgitated from what I could tell.

tonix2003
9th Oct 2006, 22:33
i saw that program and did find it very interesting. it does make people more aware of how to help themselves in this situtation but like you guys say it very much promotes cabin crew as the people who will deal with the whole situation. i think thats a good responsibility to have though and many people havnt had the training that cabin crew have.