PDA

View Full Version : Outlook on AOL

Maxflyer
3rd Oct 2006, 13:58
I have an AOL broadband account. I also use Outlook for some of my work stuff (using dial up). Is it possible for me to send Outlook emails over my AOL broadband connection. I am not looking to use my aol account on Outlook, just my work one?
Thanks in advance.

airborne_artist
3rd Oct 2006, 15:25
Try it out by downloading a copy of Thunderbird (email client by the Firefox people), and putting in the settings that Outlook has on your dial-up account. Tx/Rx a couple of test messages.

Once you've proved it, delete Thunderbird and use Outlook.

BLUE SKY THINKER
3rd Oct 2006, 17:45
Maxflyer . . . . .

Can't see why not.

Even without going down the 'Thunderbird test route', just send a test e-mail from your Outlook account back to your Outlook account and copy to your AOL account, without connecting to dial-up (assuming broadband is connected).

Do I assume the question probably due to your Outlook (dial-up preferred) POP3/SMTP settings not being AOL related? Still shouldn't be a problem (I think; never know with AOL). I'm running Outlook, both on broadband and dial-up (same account), via an e-mail host completely separate from my ISP.

NB: Different but related issue arises sometimes when somebody using AOL's proprietary e-mail client suddenly wants to use Outlook/Outlook Express. Then it's a case of enquiring about and then enabling the AOL POP3/SMTP settings. But even if you have got these on your Outlook (suspect not?) it should work.