PDA

View Full Version : Don't walk under the wing - why not?

SteveSmith
2nd Oct 2006, 10:26
When getting off via the back door of an aircraft in the UK, there's always an announcement asking pax not to walk under the wing on the way to the terminal, and usually barriers, or a person standing under the wingtip to stop people from doing so.

Why is this? Presumably there's some H&S issue, but what is the actual risk here? I noticed at the weekend that nobody seemed remotely bothered where I walked in Dublin, only in the UK.

Steve.

hpcock
2nd Oct 2006, 10:43
Few reasons - 1st, incase of delayed engine fire/jet blast & engines are still turning albeit spooling down, or 2nd, incase anything falls of the a/c & lands on you.

Regarding the 2nd point - There is a treaty under ICAO Aviation Law, called the Rome Convention (anyone care to correct me, been a long time since the ATPL exams), that has implications in case of such occurances.

Thats the 2 main reasons, but I'm sure there are others that airlines & airports will enforce & stipulte.

HPC

low n' slow
2nd Oct 2006, 11:36
In addition to the safetey reasons given above, I can also see a potential security risk. We simply don't want people too close to the aircraft incase they would decide to tamper with/sabotage a certain part of the airplane, which could be done as quickly as you pass by. With all passangers taking the route under the wing this area would be swamped by people and it wouldn't be as easy to see what they are all doing. By keeping the area clear, the cabin crew or anyone observing the aircraft can pick out an offender/raise suspicion (spelling?) and give the commander or other responsible person a hint. Perhaps this is just nonsense, but it is a positive effect that you get from keeping the area clear.

/LnS

The SSK
2nd Oct 2006, 12:17
Guessing that something dripping on you would be more of a hazard than something falling on you.

Curious Pax
2nd Oct 2006, 12:34
Many years ago I used to know a despatcher at MAN who had been under the wing when a 707 (or somesuch) had accidentally vented some fuel and covered him in it. He was suffering mild skin irritation for years afterwards. I never walk under the wing solely for that reason on the odd occasion the chance arises.

Leezyjet
2nd Oct 2006, 12:39
There are also fuel vents at the ends of the wings that could be venting fuel, and in the winter de-icing fluid would be dripping down.

Walking under the wing also depends on how good the staff watching the passengers are too. I was once watching loading at one side of the a/c, and happend to look to the other side to see a pair of legs standing by the engine, I ran around to find a passenger with his whole upper body leaning into the engine trying to light a cigarette !!!. :ugh: The customer services girl that should have been watching was too busy gazing around into space to notice, and she never bothered to turn around to see what was going on behind her. :hmm:

Most Airports outside of the UK don't bother to enforce the rules though.

At LCA, they were letting people walk anywhere when I was there last week.

:)

10secondsurvey
2nd Oct 2006, 14:27
Bad enough leaning into the engine, but lighting a cigarette at the same time!! Is this possibly the dumbest thing I've ever heard of??

No wonder aircrew find some pax frustrating.

sukigirl
2nd Oct 2006, 14:51
Recently saw video footage of an engineer getting sucked into the engine. Luckily for him he survived with only a few scrapes and bruises, but it just go's to show that freak accidents do happen.

hpcock
2nd Oct 2006, 15:51
[quote=10secondsurvey;2884373]Bad enough leaning into the engine, but lighting a cigarette at the same time!! Is this possibly the dumbest thing I've ever heard of??

Used to work in Ops for an airline based ay LHR some yrs ago, before becoming Flight Crew. We were using air stairs as the jetty way inop -a group of 10 - 15 pax deplaned, walked across the tarmac, went to light up a smoke & took some cover from the elements behind......the fuel truck!!

Got to laugh about it now

PaperTiger
2nd Oct 2006, 16:12
Few reasons - 1st, incase of delayed engine fire/jet blast & engines are still turning albeit spooling down,Good grief. WTF is a "delayed engine fire" ? :rolleyes:
You won't be deplaning while the engines are still turning :rolleyes:
And even if you were the jet blast is not under the wing, it would be behind it; roughly where the steps are.
If you don't know the answer, don't guess :*

Final 3 Greens
2nd Oct 2006, 17:32
Aeroplanes are expensive to repair, don't want any "hangar rash" caused by pax heads meeting wing :-)

flyingbug
2nd Oct 2006, 19:45
As a mere mortal, I fly a turboprop rather than a jet.
Reasons for requesting that passengers don't walk under a wing include:
1. Hot engines
2. De-icing fluid
3. Props turning in the wind - paracetamol inducing problems!
4. Potential for fuel/hydraulic leaks causing injury.

Hope that helps,

FB

apaddyinuk
2nd Oct 2006, 20:41
The wing is one giant fuel tank basically!!!

agent x
2nd Oct 2006, 23:17
what a question OP :ugh: Honestly!

Classic dumb questions include;

1. Why should'nt I walk under the wing?

2. Why should'nt I smoke on the apron as I disembark?

3. Why should'nt I run down the runway?

4. Why do I have to sit down for tak off and landing?

5. Why are aircraft fitted with seat belts and why should I wear it?

6. Why are there emergency chutes on each exit?

The list is endless.......!!!!

THINK ABOUT IT!!

COMMON SENSE SHOULD TELL YOU WHY!!!!!:mad:

4potflyer
3rd Oct 2006, 02:10
Nice one Agent X ;-).

Gouabafla
3rd Oct 2006, 06:59
I thought it was in case the wing fell off and landed on your head.

BitMoreRightRudder
3rd Oct 2006, 08:06
Was doing the customary walkround a couple of months ago, think we were in Spain somewhere and discovered a father holding his young son up at the rear of the engine having a good look with young jimmy's outstreched hand perilously close to the tail pipe (the really hot bit that sticks out the rear of he engine). He looked incredibly offended when I pointed out (politely!) that he really shouldn't be there.

Why can't you walk under the wing? Because of Planks like him!

Farmer 1
3rd Oct 2006, 09:11
Steve Smith,

Please remember: there are no stupid question, only stupid answers.