PDA

View Full Version : Better Package???

South Bound
2nd Oct 2006, 09:44
In the Mail on Sunday, a spokesman was quoted in a discussion on conditions and benefits ... http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=407944&in_page_id=1770&in_a_source=

...(he) rejected the demands for tax breaks for serving soldiers.
"Our troops do pay tax and in exchange they get better welfare, better pensions and free healthcare on the NHS, which is not offered in the U.S. "The overall package they get is considerably better."

Hmmm, the facilities on US bases I have visited seem pretty good - I love the camp I am on, but it is fairly poorly provided for in that respect.

Yep, pension is OK (as is pay in relation), but the package post retirement seems a lot more swept up in the US - do Veterans continue with medical care at military establishments? I think so, but might be wrong.

Oh good, free healthcare, because the American Serviceman doesn't get that does he?

Quick vote on the 'overall' package anyone?

mutleyfour
2nd Oct 2006, 09:58
What a surprise, an MOD spokesman whom doesnt actually know the truth!

Wader2
2nd Oct 2006, 10:56
do Veterans continue with medical care at military establishments? I think so, but might be wrong.

I got my hearing aids in fairly short order, much under 18 weeks compared with the reported 18 months. I also got them upgraded to digital after about 6 months or 2 years early if you look at the press reports.

Luck, personalities or the magic bit of paper from the Pensions Agency?

GreenKnight121
11th Oct 2006, 08:02
As an ex-USMC Sgt, I get free medical care at my local VA hospital... assigned Doctor/Physician's Assistant, low-cost medicines ($8 per prescription), and access to all needed care (I had a full colon cancer screen, including that uncomfortable scoping of the colon a few years ago) as requested.

All this without being retired, or significantly disabled (service-connected "flat feet", currently rated at 0%)... If I earn more than the minimum, as I expect I did this year, then I will have to pay a portion based on my income.

Oh yes, and I paid no income taxes the two months I was in the Arabian Gulf in 1987 in connection with the tanker convoy operations, as is the case with all US servicemen in any combat zone.

The wait for the cancer screen, which was only suggested, but not prescribed, by my primary care Dr. was about 6 weeks.

How long would the wait have been for an elective screen under the precious Uk NHS?

Zoom
11th Oct 2006, 11:19
.....the precious Uk NHS?

Should you have an accident or illness during your next visit to the UK you might leave with a different impression of our 'precious' NHS. A visiting American woman tripped on the footpath, breaking a bone in her foot, and one of my staff took her to the local hospital for an X-ray, taping up, drugs, a pat on the head and a cup of tea, and nobody asked for her credit card at any stage. So the NHS has had at least one satisfied customer. Now, I would not dare have an accident or illness in the USA, much as I like the place.

airborne_artist
11th Oct 2006, 11:47
Zoom - OTOH, when I go to buy petrol here in the UK it costs substantially more than in the US, yet the price of crude is the same across the globe, give or take. Uncle Gordon takes loads in taxes, and then he decides how to spend our money.

Bush may have some strange ideas, but telling the US people he's better at spending their money than they are is not one of them.

BluntedAtBirth
11th Oct 2006, 15:44
Surely the opposite applies to education, health care, civvy pensions etc. US forces don't get taxed for health care but then dont have to pay for it while they are serving or when they leave, hence it is an additional benefit. We get taxed to pay for it when we serve and after we leave - to be comparable we would have to have our tax abated by the proportion spent on the NHS etc for the rest of out lives and continue to receive the services free.

c17age
11th Oct 2006, 19:33
Zoom
The mom in law(yank) had kidney stones removed whilst on a visit here. 4 days in a ward plus scans x-rays etc =£500+ bill. It is procedure to treat foreign nationals as private patients and therefore bill them appropriately. I think someone overlooked the treatment you mentioned.

ps
Private med ins covered her travel meds too. They pay for it but it covers a damn site more than our rip off merchants!(read the small print....sorry you're not covered) bugger.