PDA

View Full Version : Thai Airways

Chocks Away
7th Aug 2003, 15:31
Thai Airways International received government approval to spend $1.4 billion on aircraft. The carrier will purchase three A340-500s and five A340-600s to be delivered between 2004 and 2006, along with seven five-year-old 747s from United Airlines, Reuters reported.

:ok:

MarkD
7th Aug 2003, 19:19
1.4bn list, 1.04bn approved spend (32% off).

Chocks Away
8th Aug 2003, 09:50
Why the difference?:confused: I'm missing something here.

MarkD
8th Aug 2003, 17:56
They got government approval to buy the A340s. Airbus "prices" them at 1.4bn. However, government has only approved spending of 1.04bn. Thus we see how much the discount was.

I think this was on the orders yahoogroup.

Chocks Away
9th Aug 2003, 08:48
Arh, gotcha now. Thanks:ok:

newscaster
5th Nov 2003, 18:23
Any idea when the airline is starting their Oslo route? it will be with a 744 via Copenhagen full rights both ways.

newscaster
9th Jan 2004, 18:23
Theyn will will pull out of the market on teh 29th of January ending their brief 1 and half years of service to the city, initially with a 777-300 via Athens, at present a 744 nonstop.

newscaster
10th Feb 2004, 01:59
Twice weekly from Bangkok nonstop using a 747-300 starting from the 4th.

newscaster
16th Mar 2004, 17:12
TG are planning to start service to Moscow from this year, any idea on routing equipment? its their first former Soviet destination. A new US destination is also being considered from amongst Miami, Chicago, San Francisco and New York.

newscaster
13th Apr 2005, 15:02
Covering the introduction of A345 plus other things related to new identity, http://photo.thaiaviation.net/thumbnails.php?album=397

newscaster
28th Apr 2005, 15:07
TG are planning to start MOW this August any one have more info on this?

newscaster
25th Jan 2006, 17:30
They have listed these places for 2006 launch:

Manchester, Amsterdam, Berlin with seasonal services to Budapest and Prague.

Elsewhere they will be adding Johannesburg as well as Japanese cities Hiroshima and Sendai.

Source: Airliner World.

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
26th Jan 2006, 14:03
Hi Newscaster

Where did you read this as I have been waiting a long time for this news

G-I-B

Navy_Adversary
26th Jan 2006, 15:57
Maybe 'Airliner World'

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
26th Jan 2006, 16:05
Ah maybe because I heard that it would be 2007/8 before they started but has slipped many times over the years, but we can hope

G-I-B

jabird
27th Jan 2006, 07:21
Are they looking at bringing more pax into Thailand generally, or hoping to take advantage of getting more transfer pax through the new facilities at Suvarnabhumi - if it is actually open by the time these new routes start?:\ (website still says "due to open in 2005)

Either way, I'm sure MAN to BKK will work well.

fukusami16
1st Oct 2006, 19:25
Anybody knows what aircraft will Thai airways give from Bangkok to Rome on the month of december ?...Anybody with comments or replies will do ....Tkz

fukusami16
2nd Oct 2006, 11:45
I thoguht the Suvarnbhumi airport was officially open ......

shannon55
2nd Oct 2006, 12:05
according to THAIAIR it was due to open sept 29th '05, I presume it is open now given that we are now nearly a year on from that date????

Globaliser
2nd Oct 2006, 14:26
I thoguht the Suvarnbhumi airport was officially open ......It is. Last week.

In fact, there's an SLF thread here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=246210).

Zayed
5th Oct 2006, 09:15
For sure MAN-BKK will work, as most of QA flights are full with holiday makers or people eager to have ''fun''.

Torquelink
10th Jun 2008, 09:29
TG have announced that, due to increased fuel prices, it will withdraw from service and put up for sale all five A340-500s the oldest of which is just three years old. NYC will be served by Star Alliance codeshare and LAX by 772ER via Tokyo.

List 10 possible uses for A340-500s . . . . er . . . ?

:{

MarkD
10th Jun 2008, 13:43
it would be a pretty good Air Force One type aircraft, given its range capability and quad engines... and now that the KC-45 is an Airbus there would even be fleet commonality :E

powerstall
10th Jun 2008, 14:22
that would be quite interesting seeing an A340 in Air Force One colors, but who would dare? :ouch: hehehe

what was the old saying then.. If it ain't Boeing, I ain't Flying!? :\

Cheers!

Ejector
2nd Sep 2008, 02:12
Bangkok is under the controll of the Army as of Tuesday morning with a state of Emerg. that makes protest outlawed.

Below are quotes.

Somsak Manop, vice-president of Thai Airways International's union, said the union will delay the arrival and departure times of THAI aircraft and will reduce the number of flights.

Forty-three state enterprise labour unions under control of People's Alliance for Democracy organisers have agreed to stage strikes and to selectively cut water and electricity, halt Bangkok buses and delay all Thai International Airways flights beginning on Wednesday. The aim is to help PAD to force the government out of office.

State-owned Thai Airways International (THAI) labor union chief Jamsri Sukchotirat said all 15,000 members of the union planned to stop work after police used force against PAD protesters at Government House early on Friday morning.

Last weekend

PHUKET: --A total of 118 flights which were scheduled to land or depart from Phuket international airport in southern Thailand were canceled, while more than 15,000 passengers were unable to proceed on their journeys as protesters of the anti-government People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) continued blocking access to all airport entrances for the second day Saturday.

Tower Ranger
2nd Sep 2008, 02:26
Well thats not the best news that I have had all day! I am in Phuket and I am meant to be flying back through Bangkok with Thai on Wednesday. Looks like an extra night in BKK , what a total disaster!!!! (Sort of)

ZFT
2nd Sep 2008, 02:28
Er no. Bangkok is still under the control of the PM. The army has taken over from the police in charge of security only.

There is nothing to actually stop protests only that the state of emergency prohibits gatherings of more than five people. (Just how this is interpreted is not known at present).

As to TG tomorrow – wait and see. The same union called for all their members to take sick leave (strikes within certain sectors are illegal) a few days ago and that had little if any support.

Interesting times though.

tbavprof
2nd Sep 2008, 07:23
Security You Can Trust
Permanent Secretary for Transport Chaisawad Kittipaiboon ordered relevant units to tighten security and watch over all bus terminals, train stations and airports nationwide, especially in Bangkok, after the government declared the state of emergency in the capital at 7am Tuesday.
Suvarnabhumi Airport director and Airports of Thailand (AOT) acting president Serirat Prasutanond said all flights will continue to operate normally, but more security personnel together with additional security measures have been dispatched at the airport.And then a couple of hours later
Supporters of People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) blocked entrances of Surat Thani airport on Tuesday afternoon to oppose Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej for announcing the state of emergency in Bangkok.

The supporters announced that they would seize the runway and will use it as a venue to hold anti-government protest in the province.

The blockade stopped airport staff and passengers from entering and exiting the airport. It also prevented all vehicles from entering the area.Britain, Australia, Canada, South Korea and Japan have issued a travel advisory telling their citizens to be careful while traveling to Thailand. All articles from the Bangkok Post. To ZFT's point, I'm not sure anybody knows who is in control of Bangkok. Or even if there is anybody in control of Bangkok.<br>
But it is fairly safe to say that provincial airports in areas that have strongly supported the main opposition party in past elections, are subject to intrusion and closure at the whims of the protesters. Thai security officials are unable or unwilling to intervene to protect air traffic.

ZFT
3rd Sep 2008, 07:31
I'm not sure anybody knows who is in control of Bangkok. Or even if there is anybody in control of Bangkok.

Apart from a few very small areas, it is very evident who is in control. Despite the rubbish within the overseas media who make Bangkok look like a war zone, sod all is happening anywhere other than those areas and even within those , incredible restraint is still being shown.

Pak Mike
27th Nov 2008, 03:31
The thread on One-Two-Go makes interesting reading, and it would appear that Thai airlines operate in a fairly lax regulatory environment well, the regulations might be there, but enforcement is an issue).

This certainly raises questions in my mind as a passenger regarding other Thai airlines. Lets take Air Asia Thailand for example, an aggressive company expanding quickly, lots of fights, they must have incredibly slim profit margins with their pricing structure, and I am amazed at their fast turn around times.

In this same environment, is this another accident waiting to happen?

Are we going to have pilots spilling the beans in public after the event (similar to what is happening with One-Two-Go)?

What options are there for the flying public to get the inside info on shonky unsafe operators?

ChristySweet
19th Nov 2009, 01:48
New president raps Thai Airways

By Juliana Liu
Business reporter, BBC News
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/999999.gif

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/46742000/jpg/_46742220_jex_521937_de03.jpg Mr Amranand slammed favouritism at his airline

The new president of Thai Airways has strongly criticised political interference in his airline.
Thailand's loss-making national carrier continues to struggle with enormous pressure from outside, Piyasvasti Amranand told the BBC.
The newly appointed head of Thai Airways was in London on a global road show to gather investor support.
"The management had not really been allowed to manage the company," Mr Piyasvasti said in an unusually frank interview.
"The company had been interfered heavily by the board, by the politicians. That had substantially weakened the management of the company, and our response to the crisis."
Restructuring
He has been the airline's president for just four weeks. Mr Piyasvasti said it had taken months of negotiations to secure a strong enough mandate for his new job.
On Monday, the state-owned carrier reported a net loss of $121m (£71.8m) for the July-to-September quarter.
The results were worse than analysts had expected. They forecast another loss in the fourth quarter, traditionally high season for tourism.
Thai Airways is currently overhauling its management and business operations after reporting a record loss in the last three months of 2008.
Mr Piyasvasti seems an unusual pick to run the national carrier. As a fund manager, he refused to own shares in the airline.
"Thai Airways was a company which did not provide transparent information to investors," he said.
"Thai Airways management were not able to provide clear directions or policy to investors. Most of the big funds, whether in Thailand or outside Thailand, stayed away from Thai Airways stocks."
'Top three'
Mr Piyasvasti said he had been drawn to head the airline because it was in trouble.
"I would like to see the company becoming one of the best airlines again in Asia, and the world. Maybe top three in Asia, top five in the world, within two or three years," he said.
Central to this success, he said, was reducing political interference in the day to day running of the airline, which is majority owned by the state.
He said one of the most serious problems was nepotism and favouritism in promotions and in the awarding of contracts.
"When you promote people who have connections but no ability, initially it's okay, but eventually it weakens the company, Mr Piyasvasti said.
"It reduces the quality of the work. That is what has happened to Thai Airways."

Xeque
15th Feb 2010, 09:26
Thai government looking to reduce it's 50.1% stake in Thai. From todays Bangkok Post:

THAI likely to fly solo (http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/aviation/32925/thai-likely-to-fly-solo)

MUFC_fan
15th Feb 2010, 14:10
Another airline for LH to purchase?

Capetonian
29th Oct 2014, 15:15
TG are to end services to South Africa from mid January.

Loads between JNB/BKK averaging 30%.

Another victim of Emirates successful domination attempts?

EK77WNCL
29th Oct 2014, 15:22
Bit harsh, everyone's out to make money, some just know how to do it and where they are successful enough to do it

Capetonian
29th Oct 2014, 15:25
......... and some have almost unlimited resources to spend on achieving domination.