PDA

View Full Version : What´s the Offshorejob like???

Mr.Challenger
1st Oct 2006, 17:46
Hi luds, I´m reading in this Forum for a time. There are so many threads about offshoreflying, companies and money.

My Questions are:

What is it really like?

How is the work?

How are the Bosses?

How is the climate?

Who has to leave first?

Have you have to change working places very often?

a.s.o.

My Background:

40 years old, app. 3000 h., trained within the Royal Navy, flown Sea King MK41 (S61) SAR in the German Navy for 10 years, now flying for the German National Police EC135 T2, Bell212 ATPL (H) IR, Offshore, EMS ...

I´m interested in an offshore job but is it at the end off the day really worth it???

Ta

aw139
1st Oct 2006, 19:47
Hey,

I'm in the same boat. I'm from Germany but currently live and fly in the U.S.
I was flying EMS for a while - love it. Then I recently took a job flying offshore. I'm thinking about applying to either CHC or Bristow. Ideally I'd like to fly 2 weeks anywhere in europe and live the other two in berlin. Have you ever looked at the ADAC? I wonder how they are paying.

Fly safe

paco
2nd Oct 2006, 02:23
It depends where you do it - it's a milk run, yes, just like being in an airline, but if you have a family......

I am fortunate to be doing it where there is no bad weather (apart from the same kind of haze you get round Dusseldorf on a hot day) and the rigs are only 45 nm away, so just as you get the "just about time for lunch" stage you're there. I'm also working with a great bunch.

It would be a lot different on a 3-hour stage length with the 100-mph fog on the N Sea, or in Newfoundland where they tie the roofs of their houses down with steel cable.

Phil

T4 Risen
2nd Oct 2006, 08:02
North sea aint so bad, majority of flights based in aberdeen, all operators have or are looking at an equal time roster, Co-pilots salary £30-50000 capt £50-80000+.
The job can be abit boring from time to time, average flight length about 3 hours, approx 6 hours flying /day ( 2 flights).

Weather offshore can be a bit testing, Wintertime the worst with blizzards and fog to deal with...oh and flying around in a drysuit all day isnt so comfortable.

All IFR 2 crew , Several bases to work from, Aberdeen, Shetland, Norwich, Humberside, Den Helder.
House prices generally cheaper in aberdeen than down south.

Most companies seem to be looking for ATPL (H), IR, multi engine experience. If you have these then you are in with a good chance of a job as there is quite a shortage at the moment. If you dont then apply anyway....you never know!

hope this helps.
T4

aw139
2nd Oct 2006, 12:54
T4,

do operators expect you to live close to the base or does the schedule (like 14/14) allow you to live anywhere europe and commute to work?

Darren999
3rd Oct 2006, 03:50
T4,
I take it that the ATPL has to be JAA? I have FAA ATPL, wish that would help. :ok:

T4 Risen
3rd Oct 2006, 06:31
Most bases require you to live within 1 hour but there are a few pilots i know that live outside that range and commmute for thier time on, There is also a 15/13 roatation based in shetland with Bristows and alot of the pilots there live outside the UK.

i believe the ATPL should be Jaa but another thread on rotorheads seems to indicate that CHC may be willing to sponsor for conversion from FAA.

All you can do at the moment is send in your CV and give it a go, I do know that theye are quite desperate for Pilots at the moment.

Hope this helps.
T4

chc&proud
3rd Oct 2006, 07:07
1.Rosters
a. Issued weekly, indicating days on and off for the nearest 6 weeks. These days can under normal circumstances not be changed to the disadvantage of the pilot.
b. The nearest week shows planned service (flights, stand by, times, etc. Changes can be made without pilots consent, outside 3 days.
d. Inside 3 days, pilot may accept to change his schedule. The pilot must accept changes that does not change the beginning or end of his work day.

2. Monday – Friday system (MF-system)
a. The system is called the MF-system because 20 of the 21 work days in the cycle are on the first 5 days of the week (Surprise!)
b. A cycle is 6 consecutive weeks:
i. 20 work days
ii. 1 open day (Saturday)
iii. 21 days off.

c. Vacation: Normally the pilots working the MF-system choose the alternative which gives them 5 + 5 = 10 extra days off in the summer months.
d. Number of cycles per year: 365 divided by 42 = 8,69
e. This entitles the pilot to the follwing days off
i. 182,5 days
ii. 10 days
iii. 8 open days. Special rules apply. Pilots hardly ever work on an open day. This is based on the fact that the pilots are working only Monday through Friday, and easily accumulates 800 flight hours.
f. Days off total: 192,5 (+ 8 open days = 202,5 days off)
g. Working days total: 172,5 (- 8 open days = 165,5 working days)

NOTE! We are obliged to attend classes each year, on our days off. The maximum is 2 days. This is the same for all systems. Special rules apply, which limits what kind of courses we have to accept. This does not happen every year. OPC is not included.

3. The 7/7 system
a. Self explanatory. When joining the system, the pilot is given a starting day, which from then indicates when his roster starts and ends each week.
b. The pilot works 182,5 days a year, mathematically, minus 5 days vacation time.
c. Total number of days off: 187,5 days
d. Total number of working days: 177,5 days.
e. For summer vacation, special rules apply, to secure a minimum of 3 weeks consecutive vacation.
f. A pilot can work 14/14, 21/21, 28/28, based on company approval. We have one pilot who lives in the USA, who benefits from this. I believe he works 21/21. Btw, commuting is at your own expense.

4. Rosters offshore
a. Combination duty onshore/offshore
i. 8 on onshore – 6 off – 8 on offshore – 13 off
ii. 16 on – 19 off
iii. 5 extra vacation days apply every summer
iv. Total working days: 161,5 days
v. Total off days: 203,5 days

b. Full time offshore: 15 on – 20 off
i. Vacation time 5 days
ii. Total working days: 151,5 days
Total days off: 213,5 days

Impress to inflate
3rd Oct 2006, 15:01
A) What's it like.........Not to bad, All the bacon butties you can slam down your gullet, better than flying "kiss my ass slowly" drunk tourist to Benidorm.

B) How is the work..........Not to bad, flights are from 1 hour to 6 hours depending on range, crew room banter average to good.

C) Who are the bosses..............you tell me, never see them. (Thank god)

D What is the climate..........cold and damp in the summer, colder and damper in the winter with snow, sleet, hail and snow thrown in as-well.

E) Who leaves first...........the most Junior.

F) Have you had the change work places often........you get the chance to help out at other bases within the group with odd trips offshore and to Norway.

Mikila1A
3rd Oct 2006, 16:14
PACO,
It would be a lot different on a 3-hour stage length with the 100-mph fog on the N Sea, or in Newfoundland where they tie the roofs of their houses down with steel cable.

as usual Phil you have no bloody idea (lol) of what you are talking about!!!!!:p :p
We do not use steel cable we use chain by'.:8 :8
How is the Gulf, ya having fun over there?
this is what we are dealing with today;
SPECI CWWV 031430Z 24023KT 0NM FG VV001 RMK FG8 =
Two weeks on two off, 600 to 800 hours a year,
wet and cold in summer,
wet and colder in winter,
foggy in summer
fog likes to freeze in winter
pay good
bosses good
aircraft good
HOME EVERY NIGHT - BEST!!!!!!!!

Chairmanofthebored
3rd Oct 2006, 19:55
Primarily its boring. Anything else they tell you is secondary to the boredom. You know you are bored when you start looking forward to 50kt winds, huge seastates and anything unusual.
b o r i n g
and easy.

aw139
3rd Oct 2006, 21:18
chc&proud,

thank you for sharing all the information. At what locations does CHC have the 7/7, 14/14, 21/21... schedules that you mentioned?

I'd probably commute the same way as the american guy you mentioned (I have a european passport and a U.S. green card)

paco
4th Oct 2006, 02:50
Mikila1A - sorry, got it confused with Halifax! Alzheimer's setting in!

We've got

18010KT CAVOK 32 18

Dunno which day, it's nearly always the same!

Yeah, it's a great bunch here. How are you doin'

Phil

bunk
21st Feb 2008, 18:29
If you work on a 14/14 roster, can you take another job on your 14 days off?

paco
21st Feb 2008, 18:58
In theory, if your contract allows it, but the duty hours will interfere as you have to report all your flying.

Phil

bunk
21st Feb 2008, 19:51
Yes, I read in another thread that you could fly no more than 800 hrs/year. So these 800 hrs include all types of flying, even private flights?

BlenderPilot
21st Feb 2008, 20:23
Offshore Flying in the GOM in USA, is the equivalent of being a bus driver in Angola. Companies Don't matter, it was all the same. Heat, Trailers, Packed Quarters Offshore, Crappy Acft. the pilot is always last on everyones priority, makes less money too.

I imagine europe is better.