PDA

View Full Version : IMC credit for IR?

XL319
1st Oct 2006, 12:41
If you have an IMC then what credit if any would you get off an IR? How different is it? Anyone know where i can find a syllabus on both. Thanks

gcolyer
1st Oct 2006, 12:53
According to Lasors there is no credit.

On the bright side...if you already have the full IR you can apply for your IMC and not have to do the exam :ok:

XL319
1st Oct 2006, 13:14
I'm still waiting for my copy of LASORS :ugh: Is there much difference between the 2? If not it seems better to do the full IR....Can you complete the full IR if you havent finished ATPL exams.

Hour Builder
1st Oct 2006, 13:22
I'm still waiting for my copy of LASORS :ugh: Is there much difference between the 2? If not it seems better to do the full IR....Can you complete the full IR if you havent finished ATPL exams.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/LASORS_06_WEB.pdf

why buy it now 2006 is almost over....

No you can only comlete IR LST if you have either full ATPL theory credit, or if you've done the full IR theory. The papers for both are different, even though some of the names may be simular.

HB

FlyingForFun
1st Oct 2006, 14:10
There is no credit towards a JAR IR if you have an IMC rating.

However, there is one roundabout way of getting an hours reduction. It is possible to get credit towards an FAA IR. This is because the requirements for an FAA IR are for xxx amount of hours instrument flying, of which yyy (a much lower number) must be with an FAA CFII. Your IMC rating, and any time you've spent flying around the UK using this rating, all count towards xxx, leaving you with just yyy hours to do. You can then do a 15-hour conversion to a JAR IR. I can't remember the exact hours-requirements for the FAA rating, but I seem to recall that the total hours required (assuming you already have an IMC rating) will be less than doing a JAR IR to start with.

FFF
--------------

youngskywalker
1st Oct 2006, 14:14
I give it ten minutes before somebody tells us again how crap the FAA IR is...:ugh:

Hour Builder
1st Oct 2006, 14:14
huh, i've never heard of that. nice loop-hole if thats true.

HB

ps, I have FAA IR and really enjoyed doing it. if it is so crap, why do a lot of people in GA want a UK eqivalent?

BEagle
1st Oct 2006, 17:21
"There is no credit towards a JAR IR if you have an IMC rating."

Watch this space. I am told that there will soon be a 10 hr instrument flight training credit from the IR(SPA) on SEP Class aeroplanes for those who hold the UK IMC Rating....

Megaton
1st Oct 2006, 17:39
I converted an FAA IR to JAR IR with minimal expense and effort. I can't remember what was required but it wasn't particularly onerous.

FlyingForFun
1st Oct 2006, 18:29
I am told that there will soon be a 10 hr instrument flight training credit from the IR(SPA) on SEP Class aeroplanes for those who hold the UK IMC RatingThat's a new one to me - any idea of timescales, BEagle?

Unfortunately, though, not much use to Wannabes with IMC ratings if the exemption only applies to an SEP IR, since most Wannabes will want an MEP IR.

FFF
--------------

Hour Builder
1st Oct 2006, 18:59
"There is no credit towards a JAR IR if you have an IMC rating."
Watch this space. I am told that there will soon be a 10 hr instrument flight training credit from the IR(SPA) on SEP Class aeroplanes for those who hold the UK IMC Rating....

so it'll go from a 50 hour to a 40 hour course, big deal its the theory side of it that needs sorting.