PDA

View Full Version : Helobooks.com

Mupp
1st Oct 2006, 11:11
Hi!

I was wondering if anyone here is in some way connected to or affiliated with this site? I ordered a couple of books (by Coyle and Prouty) in August, and I haven't seen them yet. My emails go unanswered. Does anyone know if something happened, or know of a way to get in contact (other than the email addresses on the site)?

Thanks!

turbinefan
1st Oct 2006, 12:32
Mupp

I am in no way affiliated with helobooks.com but did look at buying exactly the same books as you from them when I was over in the States in August. In the end I bought them from helicoptersonly.com since the shipping time to my brother's place (where I was staying) was shorter (east coast vs. west coast).

I did get my brother to phone helobooks.com, probably about a year ago, to check on the cost and feasibility of shipping the books to South Africa, where I live (an option I chose not to use in the end when I discovered I would be travelling to the States this year). He managed to get hold of them using the telephone number from their website. Bear in mind that helobooks.com and mojavebooks.com appear to be one and the same thing.

Contact details cut and paste from mojavebooks.com website:
Mojave Books LLC
P.O. Box 735
Mojave CA 93502-0735
661.435.1100 <---- Phone number
(fax) 866.742.8428
email: [email protected]

I'd suggest using Skype and try call them during their office hours, bearing in mind the 9 hour time difference between Sweden and west coast USA.

Cheers
Turbinefan

rjsquirrel
1st Oct 2006, 13:03
For any books any time, nothing beats www.abe.com which sells used and new books by having you search the inventory of 4,000 book stores across the planet. I use them regularly, and it works. The prices are always lower than Amazon, you can often find a used book at half the new price, but in excellent shape.

paco
1st Oct 2006, 14:22
Try finding a post by Shawn Coyle on this site and PMing him. I know he doesn't have much to do with the office organisation, and that their schedules are generally pretty good.

I will email him on your behalf and point out this thread

Phil

Mupp
1st Oct 2006, 15:21
Thanks for answering, all!

I'd rather not order the books from someplace else until I have exhausted every option, since my credit card has already been charged. I haven't tried calling, I basically suck at speaking this here language, and the transatlantic cable delay would probably not help either. I guess I have to give it a try if all else fails. However, if I put an email address up on a web shop of mine and expect to do business, I would answer emails (at least once in a while). I have no reason to think they haven't replied out of spite or anything like that, so I was just wondering if there was other ways of reaching them.

Phil> Thank you!

The Nr Fairy
1st Oct 2006, 16:38
I ordered - and my credit was charged through PayPal - the combined Ray Prouty aerodynamics books.

After 6 weeks, no books, email and phone calls (leaving voicemails) to the addresses / numbers on the web site, I instigated a PayPal dispute and got a refund.

Shame - I'd rather have the books.

Mupp
1st Oct 2006, 18:28
Well that's not good at all. I'd rather have the books too, and I don't think I have any way of getting my money back.

Heliport
1st Oct 2006, 18:54
Mupp

I understand how you must feel but, be patient a little longer and I'm sure the problem will be resolved.

Paco and I have both sent messages to Shawn Coyle. He's a straight guy and I'm sure will sort it as soon as he finds out there's a problem.

Heliport

turbinefan
1st Oct 2006, 19:06
To quote the late Steve Irwin: Crikey!

I'm glad I ordered my books from helicoptersonly.com in the end. Strangely, they don't seem to list the Ray Prouty one anymore but the Shawn Coyle book is cheaper than on Helobooks.com. I have a feeling I did find a few other places online selling one or both of the books if you still want to get hold of them Nr Fairy.

Out of interest I checked the imprint pages in each book, having recalled that they are also both published by Helobooks. The Shawn Coyle book (Cyclic and Collective) had some phone numbers in it that differ from the website, they are:

Phone: (661) 824 2165
Fax: (661) 824 2165 (yes, I know, same number)

Thought they might be useful if you do decide to call them. Hope you come right.

Cheers
Turbinefan

Mupp
1st Oct 2006, 19:58
Didn't mean to sound agitated, and I've got no choice but to be patient a while longer, 'cause I can't really afford to order them from someplace else right now (student, not cheap, well, student AND cheap really). Thanks for PM'ing mr. Coyle, I'll refrain myself from doing that, I'm sure he doesn't want his inbox filled. Cheers, guys!

paco
2nd Oct 2006, 02:18
Shawn won't mind

Phil

Graviman
2nd Oct 2006, 20:14
Mupp, I ordered books from helobooks about a year or so ago. As they are literally shipped from the US they took a good few weeks to arrive. Worth the wait though.

Mart

Mupp
2nd Oct 2006, 21:36
Yeah, I guess, but I've never had books from the US take this long before, and I'm consistently cheap when it comes to shipping.

2Sticks
3rd Oct 2006, 11:51
If you paid by credit card, it might be worth contacting your card issuer to ask them to refund the money as the goods have not been delivered. If things haven't changed (and I'm sure someone will correct me if they have) the card company is also liable in the transaction. They may have a procedure to treat the transaction as a disputed one which may take some time to resolve, but you may be able to get your money back this way if the other suggested routes to resolve this fail.
Regards,
2Sticks

Mupp
30th Nov 2006, 12:59
Sorry to dig this one up, but it's in the interest of public service, really. By midnight tonight I'm going to abandon all hope of ever receiving these books. I haven't heard anything from anyone, other than the answers in this thread (thank you all), and it's been over three months since I ordered. I was a young man back then... Anyways, IMO, steer clear of helobooks.com, they stole my money and spent it on beer and loose women!

IntheTin
30th Nov 2006, 15:00
I'm off to work for helobooks.com............beer..........women.......mmmmmmm :}

i4iq
30th Nov 2006, 17:30
I ordered Shawn Coyles Cyclic and Collective from Mojave Books when in Australia and it arrived less than 10 days later...

Mupp
30th Nov 2006, 20:27
Well, of course it could be just me, but I stick by my warning. Lack of service should be awarded with lack of customers IMO, I haven't received anything but a "we were happy to charge you" email, despite several attempts. Now both satisfied and unsatisfied customers are represented in the thread, and we've provided people with the means to make an informed decision. We all deserve some cake at least (or "lussebullar"?).

i4iq
30th Nov 2006, 20:38
... we've provided people with the means to make an informed decision. We all deserve some cake at least (or "lussebullar"?).

Of course, varför inte?!

Mupp
30th Nov 2006, 22:21
... varför inte?!

Crikey! Didn't see that one coming!

Whirlygig
30th Nov 2006, 22:59
My mother ordered the set of Ray Prouty books for my Christmas prezzie last year. She placed the order around about AUgust/September and later gave up a full-time job in order to chase it.

I have just asked her if she had the contact name and number of the chap she spoke to at Mojave Books but sadly she lost it in a computer crash.

I did get the book in time for Christmas (2005 that is!).

Try to find a phone number - it might help!

Cheers

Whirls

B Sousa
30th Nov 2006, 23:31
Went to the website and yes indeed, Helobooks and Mojave books are the same thing.
Did someone say that is one of Shawn Coyles hobbies?? Is he affilliated?? He is a responsible guy and would no doubt solve the problem.
I know he used to work in Mojave but think he has taken on something else, maybe somewhere else.
I just called the number as advertised and got a recording that Alan Redeckis?? mail box is full.
Thats not a good sign during working hours. I think this is a part time gig for someone. Lets keep this going until we find out.
Im up for PMs if anyone needs help on it. I dont live that far and I will be driving by there on 5 Dec. If we have a physical address.

Mupp
1st Dec 2006, 06:54
Whirlygig,

placed the order around about AUgust/September...

I did get the book in time for Christmas (2005 that is!).

I see a pattern, maybe they're just out to surprise me!

but sadly she lost it in a computer crash.

Backups, backups, backups!

B Sousa,

I dont live that far and I will be driving by there on 5 Dec. If we have a physical address.

I couldn't ask that of you, that sounds like a pain. If his voice mail is full, and he hasn't answered my ~5 emails, he doesn't want to be reached. If it had been lots and lots of money, I would have hired you to go after them, but as it was I only lost some money and 20% of my faith in mankind, and I managed to keep my appartment despite all this, so I'll consider it as one of life's lessons.

I did contact Shawn Coyle via PM a couple of weeks ago, so did a few others the first time I posted about this, but he hasn't answered yet. But I couldn't blame him for this, I haven't found anything to suggest he's affiliated, my guess is that they're just the ones selling Shawn's books.

Thanks for the help though, people, you've all restored some of that faith in mankind!

paco
1st Dec 2006, 12:22
Hi guys -

I am reliably informed that very soon Matt Johnson will be handling Shawn's books and Ray Prouty's.
They (Shawn and Matt) are aware of the problem and it is being dealt with right now, although the changeover will not be complete for about ten days to two weeks.
You can contact Matt at any time via email: Matt Johnson ([email protected])

Phil

Brilliant Stuff
1st Dec 2006, 13:19
Looks like it will come together in the end. After all Shawn's books are excellent, though I really should get stuck into it one day, but at the moment the removals men have got it.

Stringfellow Dork
1st Dec 2006, 14:22
So where can we get hold of Ray Prouty's books in time for Christmas? (UK) Anyone know?

Cheers...

Either over the counter from a shop, or search the internet and confirm with any potential supplier that they actually have the book in stock and can supply it to you before Christmas.
If delivery time is crucial, make the shipping date a condition of agreeing to make an advance payment to them.
If they fail to do that, you have a choice of waiting or notifying your card issuer as others have described.
Heliport

farmpilot
1st Dec 2006, 16:35
I also paid for a book with my Amex, after many emails I asked Amex to reverse the charge which they did.

I let Heliport know about the problem and he very kindly send Shaun a PM on my behalf. I got a reply VERY quickly from both Shaun and Alan promising me the book so I re paid them - guess what - the book never arrived.

I sent a few more emails then got bored. Amex repaid me but I would rather have the book.........:(

BTW Alan's email is [email protected]

Surprised and disappointed to read this.
I thought it had all been resolved.
Heliport

Shawn Coyle
13th Dec 2006, 18:05
To all those who didn't get books or even a response from Helobooks or Mojave Books, I apologize.

The management of orders and sales has been switched to a reliable method.

Please contact me at [email protected] with details of books not received, and we'll get it sorted out quickly.

Once again, I apologize for not having taken action sooner.
Shawn

Mupp
29th Dec 2006, 15:55
I promise this might possibly be the last time I resurrect this thread. But to set the records straight, I'm pleased to announce that my faith in mankind (or at least parts of it) has been restored by Mr. Coyle and associates. The books have arrived in good order and reading has commenced.

Thank you, Shawn!

Graviman
29th Dec 2006, 20:25
Got a copy of "Cyclic and Collective" too! Looks very well thought out, and full of technical wisdom. Going to enjoy this one.

Mart

CYHeli
29th Dec 2006, 23:00
Persistence beats resistance??