PDA

View Full Version : Question for european offshore pilots...

aw139
30th Sep 2006, 17:49
Gentlemen,

I was born in europe but moved to the U.S. a couple of years ago. I'm thinking about relocating back to europe and had a couple of questions about the job situation in europe.
Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

What kind of schedules are typical for offshore pilots?
Where are most of the aircraft based at?

I have about 3500 hrs total time (HEMS, offshore, multi engine, FAA ATP, JAA Commercial, NO JAA instrument rating though)

Thank you for your time!!!

Sax412
30th Sep 2006, 18:53
As fas as I know the situaion in Italy related to the off shore opportunities is as follows:
- 14 days on 14 days off shift;
- the crew is ALWAYS composed by two pilots;
- both pilots have to be IFR certified also;
- single engine is not admitted;
- AB 412, A 109 and BK 117 are the most used.

I hope this will help somehow.
Best wishes!

Impress to inflate
30th Sep 2006, 21:30
In Aberdeen and all the uk bases there is a big shortfall of pilots with time under there belt. I think you will need a JAA licence with IR to get in but if you have them the chances are good. The rosters are heading to an equel time on/off for most companies. The bases are in UK, Aberdeen, Norwich, North Denes, Blackpool, Scasta, Humberside. In Holland you are looking at Den Helder and in Denmark the bases is Esbjeg. Offshore a/c are AS332L/L1/L2, EC225, Dauphan, S76, S92, Bell 214ST EC155 and AW139. Good luck.

madman1145
30th Sep 2006, 21:35
Sounds like a goodey for the operators here in Europe to get - but nevertheless, you will need an European JAA Instrument Rating - Single Engine rating is enough, will be converted to multi-engine when getting the TypeRating, MCC etc.. You will need it to go offshore ..

Take a look at www.ppjn.com - roster and saleries should be pretty close to reality ..

- madman

froggy_pilot
30th Sep 2006, 22:52
AW139
Don't forget to take into account local taxes, "What you get is not what you have to spend" :\
Better ask the guys in UK and Norway about this :ok:

tottigol
30th Sep 2006, 23:19
Italian Captains clear 4000Euros monthly on average, that's including a very good per diem.
Add 30 days paid vacation.

aw139
30th Sep 2006, 23:58
Thanks for all the replies!!

Does anybody know how expensive the instrument rating would be (I probably have the required IFR hours for the rating) and if I had to charter a twin to get it done? Or are some companies helping out with the rating / check ride once you get hired (given that you meet the IFR requirements)?

Also, the A109e is not an aircraft that requires a type rating in the U.S. I have flown it for several hundred hours (HEMS) and was curious what the procedure would be to get a type rating for it in europe?

Thanks again for your time and all your answers gentlemen!! I really appreciate it.

Blind Bob
1st Oct 2006, 00:39
You could try Bond Air Services for the Instrument rating on their Ec135 simulator, it's cheaper than the real thing. If you go and work for Bond Offshore they may just bond you for the IR and type rating. All the best.:ok:

GoodGrief
1st Oct 2006, 09:00
Does to clear €4000 mean that's 4000 straight into your pocket ?
After tax and socials ?

Darn, Germany is way down to about 1500 to 1800:\ :ugh: :{

aw139
1st Oct 2006, 10:59
Would that be for HEMS in germany? I didn't know that germany has an offshore industry?
Where are you flying out of?

I'm from Germany, too :)

GoodGrief
1st Oct 2006, 11:09
@aw139

those figures are for the "normal" buzzing around (singles and twins), with HEMS you get slightly above 2000, depending also on your marital status.

aw139
1st Oct 2006, 11:24
GoodGrief,

Is it tough to get one of those EMS jobs in germany? Or are they pretty much short on pilots, too? (Here in the U.S. there are a lot of openings in the EMS market)

I do prefer my previous EMS job compared to my current offshore job, I just thought that there are more offshore jobs available in europe these days.

GoodGrief
1st Oct 2006, 11:31
I'd rather go to the US, but they have these Visas that are tough to get a hand on.

aw139
1st Oct 2006, 14:20
I understand that the two major companies are CHC and Bristow. Does anybody know what their pay scales are and if you can come in as captain right away if you have enough experience?

Or would you recommend working for some of the smaller companies?

walesuk
6th Oct 2006, 13:04
I'm here in the US as well, but not quite as much time as the original poster so would be looking to start out likely as a co-pilot in the North Sea. I've heard that Bond Air Services is all single pilot ops? Can anyone verify that for me? CHC looks to have some lower hour requirements for co-pilot positions. How about Bristow?

Thanks.

Wanna-be
6th Oct 2006, 14:59
I'm here in the US as well, but not quite as much time as the original poster so would be looking to start out likely as a co-pilot in the North Sea. I've heard that Bond Air Services is all single pilot ops? Can anyone verify that for me? CHC looks to have some lower hour requirements for co-pilot positions. How about Bristow?

Thanks.

This is what they dais to me, dont know about singel polot ops:

All of our operations are single pilot and as such we require a minimum of 2000 hours helicopter including 500 hours twin turbine.

HillerBee
6th Oct 2006, 15:12
Walesuk

There is Bond Aviation Services and Bond Off-shore.

Bond Aviation services does mainly EMS, single pilot. They need 1500 hours and 500 multi-engine, prefer IR but if you don't have it they 'help' you getting it.

To be on the safe side, try to get your 1500 hours that will give you no problems with any of the operators, on-shore and off-shore.

The pay off-shore is much better than on-shore however. (the odd exception here and there)

Wanna-be
6th Oct 2006, 18:12
Bond air services is min 2000 and 500 twin, thats what they emailed me yesterday. Do you know if Bond offshore has a working internetsite?

HillerBee
6th Oct 2006, 20:21
Wanna be

Why bother if you still have to start your training. Sending emails to all the companies will keep them busy for what??

http://www.flightglobal.com/Jobs/2006/10/02/1452617/EC135BO105+Pilots.html

aw139
7th Oct 2006, 15:24
Walesuk

The pay off-shore is much better than on-shore however. (the odd exception here and there)

HillerBee,

This is probably hard to answer, but what would be the average pay difference when you compare offshore to HEMS? (I honestly enjoy flying HEMS much more :)

Thanks

HillerBee
7th Oct 2006, 16:20
As far as I can tell for a Captain about £20,000 pa. Some guys have had offers from the off-shore and they can almost make double. The pressure is on.

aw139
7th Oct 2006, 18:58
well, hopefully that will drive the HEMS salaries up :)

do offshore operators take on pilots with a HEMS background (and experience in smaller twins like A109 and EC135) without a lot of experience in the larger type aircraft (S76, puma, S92,...)

HillerBee
7th Oct 2006, 20:16
They need pilots. So there shouldn't be any problem for you.

walesuk
11th Oct 2006, 15:43
does anyone have an address or website for Bond Offshore Helicopters? I've only managed to find Bond Air Services which recruits seperately from Bond Offshore.

thanks!

Synergy
21st Oct 2006, 14:00
As far as I know there is no website for Bond Offshore Helicopters. They are based in Aberdeen, phone number 01224 729698. Good luck, I heard that they may be looking.

Bravo73
21st Oct 2006, 17:08
As far as I know there is no website for Bond Offshore Helicopters.

It might not offer much info (!) but technically, there is a website:

www.bondoffshorehelicopters.com (http://www.bondoffshorehelicopters.com/)

:hmm: