PDA

View Full Version : CAA training + FAA question

Dan fily
29th Sep 2006, 21:06
Can anyone recommend a good Helicopter flight school to obtain my JAA CPL and Instructor rating, either UK or abroad?
Also are there any flight schools in the UK where I can receive a Biannual flight review to revalidate my FAA Licences?

Thanks,
DF.

puntosaurus
30th Sep 2006, 05:52
Depends where you want to end up working really, but in my neck of the woods (London & the South East) the names that come up often are London Helicopters at Redhill, Fast at Shoreham, Heli-Air at Wycombe and Wellesbourne, and Helicopter Services at Wycombe. There is a full list of UK schools on the CAA website here (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG_FCL_APPROVEDFTOS.PDF).

Can't help with the BFR I'm afraid.

lartsa
30th Sep 2006, 17:59
sent details of bfr to you by PM check your pm inbox

Heliport
1st Oct 2006, 15:32
Dan fily
Many people consider careful choice of instructor is much more important than choice of school.

For professional qualifications, the UK Instructors who have been most consistently highly recommended in this forum over the past 5 years or so are:CPL(H) coursesMike Green (Helicopter Services, Wycombe) Leon Smith (same school)(Apparently there are two Mike Greens. This one used to be at Fast Helicopters but has moved and now works with Leon Smith.)FI(H) coursesMike GreenLeon SmithMike Smith (HeliAir, Wellesbourne)

Heliport

Dan fily
8th Oct 2006, 11:35
Thanks for all the replies, would be looking to complete the BFR in an R22. Not quite at the Squirrel or Gazelle level yet, but will check with your man to clarify.
I have heard of Mike Green and will contact him regarding JAA training.
Cheers,
Dan Fily.:)

Exo.
8th Oct 2006, 13:54
If you're R22 rated, Helicopter services are excellent for their CPL and FI - I did my FI with Mike up there and he exemplified professionalism, by the book teaching.

If you're 300 oriented, you could try BHH down in Kent for the Commercial. No FI courses there yet though, so if you're wanting to keep up continuity, might be worth talking to Mike first anyhow.