PDA

View Full Version : RAF - the 'junior' service?

+'ve ROC
29th Sep 2006, 15:45
Why is it that the RAF is considered the junior of the three services?

Kitbag
29th Sep 2006, 15:47
Errr'm 'cos it's not been around as long as the other two dinosaurs?

PompeySailor
29th Sep 2006, 16:09
Because it hasn't got traditions, it's got habits.:p

teeteringhead
29th Sep 2006, 16:14
Or the "Cinderella" service because ........;)

The Helpful Stacker
29th Sep 2006, 16:15
"In any future conflict it must be recognised that the RAF is the senior service. Today, the effectiveness of air power shows this to be true."

Winston Churchill

The Royal Navy ceased to be the senior service the day captial ships became the ones that a/c flew off rather than the boats with all the big guns.:ok:

PompeySailor
29th Sep 2006, 16:36
The Royal Navy ceased to be the senior service the day captial ships became the ones that a/c flew off rather than the boats with all the big guns.:ok:

Winston was talking about the age of the guys serving. You know it's bad when you put a bunch of RN CPO Comms Techs into an RAF Mess and the average age only drops to 53.......

Maple 01
29th Sep 2006, 17:26
Nice try fish-boy but all your base are belong to us!

PompeySailor
29th Sep 2006, 18:11
Nice try fish-boy but all your base are belong to us!

I know - baiting the crabs on their own turf is like loitering around papalsupremacy.com and advertising condoms........

(but it still has to be done!)

cazatou
29th Sep 2006, 18:54
Pompey Sailor,

Perhaps you should do some research before you sound off. Bearing
in mind that he was "First Sea Lord" (and responsible for the Gallipoli fiasco) he was one of the first to see the advantages of Air Power. One must admit, however, that his support of the Tank Corps in 1918 in preferance to the RFC/RAF was an abberation.
Perhaps the fact that "Tank" trials had initially been undertaken by the Navy coloured his view!!

PompeySailor
29th Sep 2006, 19:01
Pompey Sailor,

in mind that he was "First Sea Lord" (and responsible for the Gallipoli fiasco) he was one of the first to see the advantages of Air Power. One must admit, however, that his support of the Tank Corps in 1918 in preferance to the RFC/RAF was an abberation.
Perhaps the fact that "Tank" trials had initially been undertaken by the Navy coloured his view!!

The sarcasm was lost in translation perhaps?:ugh:

SRENNAPS
29th Sep 2006, 19:08
lets face it, if it was up to the Navy we would still be living in caves. If it was up to the Army we would still live in mud huts.

It is only the RAF service that has embraced technology and move forward; the other two have merely just tried to keep up.:hmm:

sense1
29th Sep 2006, 19:24
Cazatou,
It's called small man syndrome. Being the smallest of the 3 services with several of their major projects in the balance, the demise of the fixed wing part of the FAA, not much contribution in current conflicts etc etc they feel the need to make themselves feel better by baiting the other services and calling themselves 'The Senior Service' as often as possible and trying to have a disproportionate representation on Military Aircrew forums!
Just try and humour them please!

Good lad! I couldn't agree more! The so called senior service, like there should be an order of seniority anyway. And based on age - if that was a worthy way in which to rate 'seniority' - then my 18 inch, half a ton, sanyo television that takes up a 1/4 of my living room and thats 2 metres deep is obviously better than my 32 inch, HD TV that is gloriously slim, light and good looking..... slim, light and good looking - just like most RAF servicemen in comparison to their navy counterparts - and worth more too! 'Senior Service' - :mad: off!

PompeySailor
29th Sep 2006, 20:10
Cazatou,

It's called small man syndrome. Being the smallest of the 3 services with several of their major projects in the balance, the demise of the fixed wing part of the FAA, not much contribution in current conflicts etc etc they feel the need to make themselves feel better by baiting the other services and calling themselves 'The Senior Service' as often as possible and trying to have a disproportionate representation on Military Aircrew forums!

Just try and humour them please!

Did you know that we currently have 52% of the total manpower in Iraq? Plus we have just taken over Herrick with the RMs? Amazing, the public also assume that if it flies, it's RAF, if it wears combats, it's the Army.

Unappreciated, we are.

SASless
29th Sep 2006, 20:13
Winston did like his drink....perhaps he was a bit muddled that day!

PompeySailor
29th Sep 2006, 20:16
....than my 32 inch, HD TV that is gloriously slim, light and good looking..... slim, light and good looking - just like most RAF servicemen....

...and currently only services a niche market, requiring constant updating and renewing to make it current!

How many HD-compliant channels are there at the moment? 4? 5?

mustflywillfly
29th Sep 2006, 20:38
And can I just remind all you crabs that the only service to shoot another aircraft down since WWII is yes, that's right, the Navy. You Crabs have more resources then us fish heads and always have done. The Sea Harrier was the only true fighter aircraft for many many years and you ask any pongo or booty who has served in NI and they will tell you that if you ask the Jungly boys you can guarantee a lift home, you ask the crabs and it's a little foggy then forget it!!!

Ooooh it's all good inter-service banter!! I actually think we all do a bloody stirling job with the kit we are provided! Lets stop bickering at each other, grow up a bit and get on with the jobs we are all lucky enough to still have.:O

MFWF

movadinkampa747
29th Sep 2006, 20:46
And can I just remind all you crabs that the only service to shoot another aircraft down since WWII is yes, that's right, the Navy.

Rubbish!!!!!!! In 1982 RAF Jaguar GR1 XX963/AL of 14 Sqn was Shot down 35 mile3s north east of Bruggen, West Germany by a sidewinder missile fired by a RAF Phantom. The pilot ejected. So you see the RAF have shot something down since WW2:E

junglyking
29th Sep 2006, 20:53
Light blue on light blue...?

Two's in
29th Sep 2006, 22:19
Anyone who has to actually tell you they are the Senior Service misses the point completely, it's a bit like people who have to tell you that they are in charge. It's either obvious or it's not.

Melchett01
29th Sep 2006, 22:23
And can I just remind all you crabs that the only service to shoot another aircraft down since WWII is yes, that's right, the Navy.
And the only service also to run into Australia :\ But I guess that's another story :eek:

mayorofgander
29th Sep 2006, 22:24
Hmm;

Air Force been around for 88 years.
I've done 22 years.

I'll be history soon!!!:rolleyes:

MOG

mayorofgander
29th Sep 2006, 22:26
And the only service also to run into Australia :\ But I guess that's another story :eek:
Didn't the Marines try to invade Spain a year or two ago...and were repelled by the local stazi???:D

MOG

ZH875
29th Sep 2006, 22:40

A-4Q Skyhawk of CANA 3 Esc shot down near Swan Island in Falkland Sound by Flt Lt Leeming RAF
Two A-4B Skyhawks of FAA Grupo 5 shot down over Choiseul Sound by Flt Lt Morgan RAF

Just three of the FAA aircraft downed by the RAF in 1982. I think these qualify as post WWII kills.

Senior Service, aren't they FAGS.:)

Heimdall
30th Sep 2006, 06:09
Mustflywillfly

Quote:

You need to do a little more research. The last RAF pilot to win a contested air-to-air engagement, that has been officially acknowledged, whilst flying an RAF plane was Fg Off Tim McElhaw of 208 Sqn flying a Spitfire FR18 when he shot down a Royal Egyptian Air Force Spitfire LF9 on 22 May 1948 near Ramat David airfield in Palestine.

www.spyflight.co.uk/iafvraf.htm

Heimdall

TEEEJ
30th Sep 2006, 06:41
And can I just remind all you crabs that the only service to shoot another aircraft down since WWII is yes, that's right, the Navy. You Crabs have more resources then us fish heads and always have done. The Sea Harrier was the only true fighter aircraft for many many years and you ask any pongo or booty who has served in NI and they will tell you that if you ask the Jungly boys you can guarantee a lift home, you ask the crabs and it's a little foggy then forget it!!!

Ooooh it's all good inter-service banter!! I actually think we all do a bloody stirling job with the kit we are provided! Lets stop bickering at each other, grow up a bit and get on with the jobs we are all lucky enough to still have.:O

MFWF

You do realise that some of those SHAR pilots were RAF!

GlosMikeP
30th Sep 2006, 08:58
I know - baiting the crabs on their own turf is like loitering around papalsupremacy.com and advertising condoms........

(but it still has to be done!)
As I've back-quoted to many of your persuasion over the years:

"We may not be many but thank God we are the right sort"

....Admiral Lord Nelson

mustflywillfly
30th Sep 2006, 09:18
Wind the crabs up and watch em go.....!!!! Ahhhh what fun.

The Helpful Stacker
30th Sep 2006, 09:42
Didn't a Buccaneer crew destroy an Iraqi Mig on its take-off run during GW1 and it was considered an air-to-air kill (though accomplished with an LGB)?

Twopack
30th Sep 2006, 10:03

And also on 5 Sep...'' 5 years ago I was chopped from flying training at RAF Shawbury..''

Not still bitter are we old chap?? :p

Blacksheep
30th Sep 2006, 10:04
I used to be young and fit. Drove a sports car. Sh**ged every nice young thing that came my way, drank ten pints at night and went to work as fresh as a daisy in the morning. I was junior and immature.

Then came marriage, a family and a mortgage. I drove a Humber. I wanted to sh*g anything that came my way but the wife would object. When I was allowed out at night, I'd drink eight pints and stagger off to work in the morning with a hangover. I was established and respectable.

Then came middle age. The children are married, the mortgage is paid off. I might admire a fine pair of ***s from afar but I can't be bothered to do anything about it. I have an occasional glass of wine and a fine meal - then suffer indigestion all next day. I'm senior and nearly past it.

Now, which would you rather be? Junior or Senior? Eh? ;)

Tourist
30th Sep 2006, 12:12
Well done Blacksheep!
First bit of quality banter from a crab in ages.
Are you looking for an exchange?

Roland Pulfrew
30th Sep 2006, 15:00
Ahh the usual drivel from MFWF. When losing the argument in the face of superior knowledge he resorts to "It was all a wind up m'lud, and you all fell for it". T:mad:r Is this Southside back again to amuse us?

Pontius Navigator
30th Sep 2006, 16:37
Didn't a Buccaneer crew destroy an Iraqi Mig on its take-off run during GW1 and it was considered an air-to-air kill (though accomplished with an LGB)?

Don't know about that but I saw the video of the LGB attack on a Cub. It was taxying out between a couple of hangars. DH just behind the cockpit; that would have been in the bunk area. I was in an Iraqi one many years ago. The crew at Lyneham stayed in the aircraft and probably banked the per diem.

Also an F15E got an air-to-air with an LGB. A helicopter in the hover.

mustflywillfly
30th Sep 2006, 16:51
Keep it coming ladies

mustflywillfly
30th Sep 2006, 17:22
And also on 5 Sep...'' 5 years ago I was chopped from flying training at RAF Shawbury..''

Not still bitter are we old chap?? :p

Actually Twopack, I was on a Naval Squadron and chopped by a Navy Standards pilot. Bitter? Possibly, but not with the RAF. Infact a very nice RAF chap suggested that I could transfer to them. Indeed quite recently a very decent RAF Officer has suggested that I could still transfer to them.

I like the RAF, I did an RAF Flying Scholarship and they helped me fly at 17 before I could drive.

It's all just good banter, but what I have been amazed by is the real venom that some of you have replied with. Especially that Roland chap, obviously a lovely bloke who drives a very long car. Do the RAF do banter or just take themselves far too seriously and get all upset and lash out? I am a little dissapointed the way this thread has gone actually.

The RAF is the Junior service and quite frankly who cares!!! And yes Blacksheep that was a superb comeback!!

Now shall we all just calm down?

Always_broken_in_wilts
30th Sep 2006, 17:30
MFWF,

Think it's about time for you to change your handle dude:E

Might I suggest WLTFBCAIACHAFTCSNIAJABF......

WouldliketoflybutcantasiamcackhandedandfailedthecuorsesonowI amjustanotherbluntfecker:p.....anyone else some thoughts on a new handle for our tame semen:E

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

LOTA
30th Sep 2006, 17:39
The trouble, mustflywillfly, is the use of the word junior in a perjorative sense (as you and others in this thread have done!). Inevtiably people who care - and love to banter as well - will bite.

I loathed being referred to as a junior officer when I was an old-time flight lieutenant. It's the same here, I suspect.

I couldn't care less, though, whether the RAF is junior or the Navy the senior (or for that matter, whether the Army is the in-the-middle service!), This Senior Service thing (as beloved by those who produce Navy News - it appears in almost every bloomin story!) is something the admirals perpetuate to give themselves a warm feeling of importance.

Always_broken_in_wilts
30th Sep 2006, 17:41
LOTA,

The Admirals warm feeling is not importance........... it's incontinence:E

Melchett01
30th Sep 2006, 17:50
ABIW The Admirals warm feeling is not importance........... it's incontinence
You owe me a new keyboard - haven't laughed so hard for a long time. Maybe it is time for the Senior Service to be pensioned off along with all the other senior citizens :}

oojamaflip
30th Sep 2006, 18:32
Since we seem to now be saying that the 'Senior Service' is whichever is best, rather than the oldest, how do we measure it?
If you take value for money, the RAF needs 124 personnel for each of its frontline aircraft, while the FAA does the same with 31 people. So, for the taxpayer, the RAF offers much less bang per buck.
In the two world wars and one world cup line of thinking, the RAF saved this country from invasion and servitude 60 years ago, with RN people involved in the BoB and The RN acting as back-up in case Fighter Command dropped the ball. With the Spanish armada and Trafalgar, the RN is at least 2-1 up in the 'Saving the nation from tyranny' stakes.
We're all rightfully proud of the Service we chose to join, but some foolishly chose to join the one with a uniform of badly cut denim.

Maple 01
30th Sep 2006, 18:45
RAF needs 124 personnel for each of its frontline aircraft, while the FAA does the same with 31 people. So, for the taxpayer, the RAF offers much less bang per buck.

So one Lynx has more 'bang per buck' as a GR4? Hmmmm, how can I put this? How exactly?

Go away nasty tank or I'll depth charge you to death?

Always_broken_in_wilts
30th Sep 2006, 19:00
"RAF needs 124 personnel for each of its frontline aircraft, while the FAA does the same with 31 people. So, for the taxpayer, the RAF offers much less bang per buck."

So just refresh me on where that feckin great boat, the home for your 31 fished's fit's into your financial equation:ugh:

oojamaflip
30th Sep 2006, 19:07
I agree, the GR4 has more 'bang per buck' than a Lynx - but not 4 times more. Go away nasty submarine, before I toss my munitions in your general direction! Oh, and would you be good enough to stay within spitting distance of the UK coast so I can get to you.

During the fireman's strike, some bright spark in the RAF puffed out his chest and told the big cheeses that however many thousand men had been provided with no loss of operational capability. So what do these people do normally. The point was that the RAF offer poor value for money compared to the other services, as the army/RN have been pared back to the bone, whilst the RAF is still decidedly fat.

cazatou
30th Sep 2006, 19:17
Maple 01

It is very difficult to torpedo an airfield.

PS I didn't understand ABIW's post either.

izod tester
30th Sep 2006, 20:12
What ABIW meant was that the comparison of FAA manpower per aircraft with RAF manpower per aircraft was skewed. Many people in the RAF support the airfield services, admin and supply, tasks that the FAA piggyback on the rest of the RN for. Perhaps a better comparison would be the total complement of HMS Illustrious supporting however many ac it can carry with the total complement of RAF Marham with however many ac there are there. Don't know the numbers, perhaps someone can oblige.

FatBaldChief
30th Sep 2006, 20:55
Hang on. Aren't Customs and Excise the Senior Service?
Formed way before the Navy those boys. :8

Mad_Mark
30th Sep 2006, 21:30
I agree, the GR4 has more 'bang per buck' than a Lynx - but not 4 times more. Go away nasty submarine, before I toss my munitions in your general direction! Oh, and would you be good enough to stay within spitting distance of the UK coast so I can get to you.

OK, so one Lynx has more 'bang per buck' as a MR2? Hmmmm, how can I put this? How exactly?

Go away nasty submarine, before I toss my limited munitions in your general direction before returning to mother! Oh, and would you be good enough to stay within spitting distance of mother so I can get to you. :E

MadMark!!! :mad:

oojamaflip
30th Sep 2006, 22:33
Mad Mark

Having worked with the Mr2, let me try and justify myself.

MR2 crew of 13 - Lynx 2 (3 if roled for airborne gunnery or SAR). Lynx wins.

MR2 roles, active/passive ASW(including weapons delivery), ASuW (but I've never seen them do it), search(but not rescue) - Lynx roles, ASuW, ASW, Gunner AOP, Harpoon targeting, Force protection, Search(and rescue), Loadlifting, troop insertion. So for versatility Lynx wins.

Lynx at alert 15, MR2 at alert? How far is Kinloss anyway? 10 hours on station is no use if there's no guarantee you won't have to leave when the action starts. Lynx marshals it's hours when all is quiet and is on scene as soon as needed. Lynx wins again.

I'm not saying the Nimrod isn't a great aircraft, but the issue is 'Bang per buck'. So where does the Nimrod win out exactly?

Roadster280
30th Sep 2006, 23:05
What is the point of the direction this thread has taken?

In terms of manpower, the Army is the Senior Service.

In terms of ultimate firepower, the RN is.

In terms of air power in many theatres and many different roles, the RAF is.

In terms of chronology, it is a done deal, and has been so for 88 years.

What gets me, is in 1982 the chips were down. As a 13 year old schoolboy, I vividly remember the "hasty conversions" of liners to troopships. The TV news item with the shipyard fitter talking to his wife, having been tasked to fit a helipad to (IIRC) the Canberra: "I'll be home when the job is done". The reclaiming of Vulcan bits from scrapyards. The Waterloo station announcement "All members of 1 PARA are instructed to return to barracks immediately".

In my own military career, I didn't question the provenance of the RAF when they brought me home from Sarajevo. Neither did I disprespect the RN bloke insisting I salute the bell at HMS Gannet in civvies.

Get over yourselves chaps, and fight the politicians that deprive you of the tools to do the job. A job well done by all, within the contraints imposed.

Beeayeate
30th Sep 2006, 23:18
'Senior Service'. Mmm . . . isn't that some sort of fag? :E

:ok:

foldingwings
1st Oct 2006, 06:35
You're all wrong! Senior Service are fags and they come in packets of 20!:p

Well they used to.

Foldy

PompeySailor
1st Oct 2006, 09:21
You're all wrong! Senior Service are fags and they come in packets of 20!:p

Well they used to.

Foldy

Well done. Depiste the post above yours being identical, 7 hours later you posted the same "joke".

Still, I suppose we can't expect much else from a Service formed on 1 April that is still only just getting the joke.....

Maple 01
1st Oct 2006, 11:28
Bit touchy there PS, something you want to share with the class? It's OK now.....remember, if it's not hurting it's not banter

ZH875
1st Oct 2006, 11:41
Well done. Depiste the post above yours being identical, 7 hours later you posted the same "joke".

Still, I suppose we can't expect much else from a Service formed on 1 April that is still only just getting the joke.....

Could have been worse, as the original 'Fags' line on this thread was on 29 Sep at 23:40:ugh:

I wanted to join the Navy, but I passed the exam.

oojamaflip
1st Oct 2006, 12:05
The repeat until funny 'fag' line definitely demonstrates a whiff of lavender in the ranks of the RAF, but you can't escape a simple truth.

The first male to female sex change performed in the UK was done post WWII on an RAF fighter pilot. I would have thought there were less drastic ways to reduce the number of pricks in the organisation.

ZH875
1st Oct 2006, 12:32
Maybe, but we all know why Sailors do not need to change sex to get a man........:ooh:

Still, at least Sailors traditions are not illegal these days....:uhoh:

oojamaflip
1st Oct 2006, 14:06
Can't help but suspect you sport a bristling 'Village People' moustache yourself.

Trying to get back to the thread-ish, nobody has yet told me how the RAF can consider itself the senior service when it hasn't historically done as much to save our country from invasion as the RN and while econically it still remains a black hole where 50000 people are paid to keep just 426 aircraft on the front line.

Melchett01
1st Oct 2006, 14:27
it still remains a black hole where 50000 people are paid to keep just 426 aircraft on the front line.

As opposed to the Navy who have about 70 operational ships and boats (on paper) operated by just under 36,000 personnel (1 Jan figures).

Which means about just over 500 personnel for every operational vessel as opposed to the 117 personnel per operational ac you mention in your statistics.

And you can't tell me the Navy is cost effective .... if we weren't buying those 2 carriers, we could have had at least 350 Typhoons :E

Can't help but suspect you sport a bristling 'Village People' moustache yourself

And I'll have you know that there is absolutely nothing wrong with sporting a large bushy upper lip adornment - comes in very useful for catching fine fillies. Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!

oojamaflip
1st Oct 2006, 15:20
So, with 14000 fewer people we operate 70 vessels and 200 combat aircraft and we can take a fight to a lot more places than you can. You may have noticed that UK foreign policy isn't winning us friends and influencing people. Friendly overseas airfields are getting thinner on the ground. If we binned the CVF's and ordered 350 Typhoons, how would they be used? Towing RAF Marham to the South China seas, for instance, could prove a logistical challenge. Presumably you'd want the 40000 extra personnel to fly these 350 jets too?
I know the RAF all walked past the RN recruiting office to get there, because the Air Force is the soft option, but it would be nice if a larger proportion of you got your hands dirty once in a while. I think if I were a GR7 or Chinook mate, I'd feel aggrieved at the time away considering the number of 'fat wheezy boys with a note from matron' who think one night away from the mrs is a deployment.
By the way, I do hope you twirl your moustaches in a Terry-Thomas stylee whilst pursuing said fillies.:ooh:

Roland Pulfrew
1st Oct 2006, 15:39
So, with 14000 fewer people we operate 70 vessels and 200 combat aircraft and we can take a fight to a lot more places than you can. You may have noticed that UK foreign policy isn't winning us friends and influencing people. Friendly overseas airfields are getting thinner on the ground. If we binned the CVF's and ordered 350 Typhoons, how would they be used? Towing RAF Marham to the South China seas, for instance, could prove a logistical challenge. Presumably you'd want the 40000 extra personnel to fly these 350 jets too?
I know the RAF all walked past the RN recruiting office to get there, because the Air Force is the soft option, but it would be nice if a larger proportion of you got your hands dirty once in a while. I think if I were a GR7 or Chinook mate, I'd feel aggrieved at the time away considering the number of 'fat wheezy boys with a note from matron' who think one night away from the mrs is a deployment.
By the way, I do hope you twirl your moustaches in a Terry-Thomas stylee whilst pursuing said fillies.:ooh:

200 combat aircraft!! Somewhat disingenuous. You do not have 200 combat aircraft - you have some Lynx and some Merlins which might at some stretch count as combat aircraft, which, as mentioned above, might, as long as they stay close to mother, be effective at dropping a torpedo or 2 against that great and well known submarine threat we are currently fighting. Some may have door guns - wow! You do not have any long range strike aircraft, you do not have long range maritime aircraft, or transport or tankers, or elint, or long range SAR or or or.......... You might claim to have a few GR7s but then we all know that, despite the change of sqn markings, those really belong to, are supported by and in the main operated by the RAF. Fixed wing FAA? About to implode!! Unless of course you count the Jetstream T3s as combat aircraft!! You might as well in the FAA it's about all you have left. And to compare a Lynx to a Nimrod, get real!! Range, endurance, weapons load recce, elint and, if StormShadow and LGB, are integrated long range strike and CAS in one platform and it isn't the Lynx:rolleyes:

Melchett01
1st Oct 2006, 15:40
So, with 14000 fewer people we operate 70 vessels and 200 combat aircraft

Well, of those 70 vessels, how many include various Haddock protection vessels to guard against the advances of those dastardly Icelandic types, how many are engaged in mapping and colouring in all the blue bits and how many are on current ops in multiple theatres?

And where are you getting your 200 combat aircraft ? Your Harriers are our old ac and whilst you do have a few Hawks knocking about the place, I would hardly describe the Jet Streams as combat types. And yes you do have helos, but aren't most of them still in bits on the hangar floor somewhere, with the ones in Basrah on their last legs and being held together by Duck Tape and rust with the drivers complaining they haven't seen a single Russian sub since 1978?

We could go round and round in ever decreasing circles with this one, but personally, I think for once we should get together and show true jointery and reach a gentlemens' agreement:

We'll agree that the Navy, whilst being fine old gentlemen are starting to smell a bit in their old age and require constant help from the nursing staff, that the Army are the irritating parents - disliked by both the kids and the grandparents constantly trotting out the argument 'because I said so' whenever anbody dares to disagree, and that the RAF are the young upstarts heading towards the ASBOs and court appearance but ultimately the future. And that we all hate the bloody politicians and bean counters :ok:

Oh and yes, I do twirl my moustache in a Terry Thomas style, although I could never quite get the drawling 'hello' off as well as he did.

oojamaflip
1st Oct 2006, 17:44
Fair point, I got the 200 figure from the RN website and it may need updating to round it down a smidge.
I do have another question. During WWII Coastal command was put under the control of the RN because all its work was in conjunction with the RN and it was a far more sensible arrangement. How will it be any different when the JCA squadrons get up and running? Two squadrons at least are going to have to be worked up for carrier ops and given the tempo of operations at the moment, one carrier is always likely to be away. Why not call them 800 and 801?
I know, I know, I'm pi$$ing in the wind on that one - but I do think that the RAf pilots will be timing their squadron appointments to get out of carrier time and the RN boys will be timing theirs to get into it. Result - the RN pilots remain the embarked specialists and squadrons with RAF numbers will have minimal RAF involvement. What's the point of that?
Roland - an MR2 might be able to find something, but lobbing out a liferaft hardly qualifies as rescue. If LGB and stormshadow are integrated, then feel free to claim the capability, for now you can't. I concede that the Lynx has substantially less endurance, but it is employed with the GR7 ethos of staying close to the action and having an increased sortie rate. You can't condemn the Lynx ethos without damning the GR7. The fact remains that a Lynx can get to a lot of places that a Nimrod can't, unless you want to move Australia on the globe - again!;)

Roland Pulfrew
1st Oct 2006, 18:11
Roland - an MR2 might be able to find something, but lobbing out a liferaft hardly qualifies as rescue.

Trust me mate, been there and done that. Scrambled, 20-ish West (well out of land based helo SAR), found persons in distress, dropped life raft (big and better equipped than their small and open dinghy), found nearest ship, directed ship to rescue, waited till rescue complete, then landed, on PLE, at nearest (UK) diversion - total time 8.55hrs. No Lynx could have achieved that:ok:

BEagle
1st Oct 2006, 18:33
Oh, come now, Roly old bean. You can't dismiss the RN's fixed wing combat aircraft so easily.......

.....don't forget that they also have a Sea Fury, Sea Hawk......and a couple of Swordfish!

They must be the only military organisation in the world whose highest performance aircraft are in their heritage flight.......:(

But hey, let them have their little jokes about 'crabs' as they bounce across the briny in their little grey coffins from cockers P to cockers P in order to contribute to the nation's defence by poncing about in sailor suits to impress the locals.

oojamaflip
1st Oct 2006, 18:35
Nuff respec
I wouldn't ever belittle a good day at the office. Banter is banter, but saving lives is saving lives. I am fairly sure that any further away and they'd have sent a Pussers grey with a Lynx on the back though.
And after they'd been rescued they'd have been regaled with top sh@gging dits on the way back to the ship.:ok:

BEagle
1st Oct 2006, 18:49
"And after they'd been rescued they'd have been given a top sh@gging on the way back to the ship"

Undoubtedly.....

"D'you hear there! Hands to buggery stations - fresh meat coming aboard!"

oojamaflip
1st Oct 2006, 19:05
Well, you know the Navy motto:
'If it moves, sh@g it - if it doesn't move, sh@g it until it does'
Seems like a fair price for being rescued.
I know you're RAF, but you are aware it's not just for pi$$ing through, aren't you?:E

nick0021
14th Nov 2006, 14:45
Why don't we concentrate on some jokes with a military theme ... A bit like the RAF you could say ...

I thank you..

GPMG
14th Nov 2006, 15:07
As far as biggest bang for your buck goes I think 3 trident subs beats anything the crabs can muster several times over.

As far as Senior Service goes? Wouldnt that be the 'lady's' that hang around the back of Stonehouse barracks or the docks in Pompei? They have been providing a service for many years...so I am told.

Do they still have that damn foll rule where you cannot transfer from the 'senior service' to the junior? It is possible that I would be an ALM now if that had not been in place.

movadinkampa747
14th Nov 2006, 15:09
Why did the Navy change from using bars of soap to using soap powder?

Because it takes longer to pick up!!:hmm:

WhiteOvies
14th Nov 2006, 15:14
GPMG - Unaware that rule existed, know of several who have 'downgraded'!

Senior Service not as old as the 'oldest profession' although a regular sponsor (so I am led to believe:E ).

nick0021
14th Nov 2006, 15:57
In order to settle this debate, i think it's only fair that we ask a third party as to their opinion....

So Major James Loden.... how would you describe the RAF?? :}

Shall we say no more?

movadinkampa747
14th Nov 2006, 16:05
Ahh but how did The Chief of General Staff, General Sir Richard Dannatt describe the RAF?

http://news.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid=444&id=1410152006

"THE country's top soldier has praised the Royal Air Force as "exceptional" in the wake of comments by an officer condemning its performance in Afghanistan as "utterly, utterly useless".

The Chief of General Staff, General Sir Richard Dannatt, lavished praise on the RAF's efforts in support of the ground forces and described the remarks made by Major James Loden of 3 Para as "irresponsible".

Your go again nick0021.

movadinkampa747
14th Nov 2006, 16:28
I guess you are not a team player then.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
14th Nov 2006, 16:42
Pompey Sailor,

in mind that he was "First Sea Lord" (and responsible for the Gallipoli fiasco)

I've tried to avoid this thread but curiosity got the better of me; and I couldn't let this go (Pompey Sailor, pay attention).

Churchill was never First Sea Lord. He was First Lord of the Admiralty, which was a Ministerial position and purely (if that's not an oxymoron) political. As it happened, he did throw his weight around disproportionately and used the experience shamelessly to lead the First Sea Lord a dog's life in the second lot.

The First Sea Lord is the Chief of the Naval Staff in MoD Speak and answers to the Lord High Admiral, HM the Q. That said, the PM and the Secretary of State for Defence (and, covertly, the Chancellor of the Exchequer) can lead him a dog's life! As that is common to the CGS and the CAS, does that make it a Custom or a Habit?

nick0021
14th Nov 2006, 16:42
How very dare you! :eek:

Ill have you know I’m the captain of my local tidily winks team. I'm sure they would take issue with your last statement!

movadinkampa747
14th Nov 2006, 16:45
Well I guess that is as close to the Armed Forces that you have been.

Flatus Veteranus
14th Nov 2006, 19:33
Mustflywillfly
Quote:
You need to do a little more research. The last RAF pilot to win a contested air-to-air engagement, that has been officially acknowledged, whilst flying an RAF plane was Fg Off Tim McElhaw of 208 Sqn flying a Spitfire FR18 when he shot down a Royal Egyptian Air Force Spitfire LF9 on 22 May 1948 near Ramat David airfield in Palestine.
Heimdall

A very good reason why 208, as an ex-Naval squadron (formed October 1916) and far "senior" to 800 and 801, should be one of the embarked JSF squadrons. Anyway, flying Meteor 8s & 9s out of Takali in '56 we used to have the 800 and 801 Sea Hawks on toast. And we shagged all the WRNS at Kalafrana too!

I noticed in your excellent link that a Syrian Meteor F8 splashed a Canberra PR7 at altitude. Now that must have taken a bit distinguished flying!

Wrathmonk
14th Nov 2006, 19:42

Well I guess that is as close to the Armed Forces that you have been.

Posted by nick0021 - 6 Nov 06 - on a different thread....

I recently passed my AIB for pilot and got 11.12 in the Bleep test. They said that this is a good pass, however the emphasis was placed more on effort than actually score. We were informed that it is more a test of motivation. Obviously the higher level you attain the better, however, someone who reaches level 9 and cannot physically take another step will score better than someone who reaches 12 and decides he/she has done enough. My advice would be, run until you can't run anymore ... then run a little harder. No pain, no gain!!

So nick .... You might want to guess again !:E

What have you done in the last 8 days then? Or are you a retread who didn't get aircrew first time round?:p

The Helpful Stacker
14th Nov 2006, 19:52
Originally Posted by Heimdall
Mustflywillfly
Quote:
Heimdall

Actually its the Royal Navy. 'The Navy' is an American thing, possibly something to do with the film Hot Shots.

BTW,

Mirage IIIEA of FAA Grupo 8 shot down north of West Falkland by Flt Lt Barton RAF in No.801 Sea Harrier using Sidewinder (4.10 pm). Lt Perona ejected safely.

Dagger A of FAA Grupo 6 shot down over East Falkland by Flt Lt Penfold RAF in No.800 Sea Harrier using Sidewinder (4.40 pm). Lt Ardiles killed.

A-4Q Skyhawk of CANA 3 Esc also shot down near Swan Island in Falkland Sound in same incident by Flt Lt Leeming RAF in No.800 Sea Harrier using 30mm cannon (3.12 pm). Lt Marquez was killed.

Puma SA.330L of CAB 601 flew into ground near Shag Cove House, West Falkland attempting to evade Flt Lt Morgan RAF in No.800 NAS Sea Harrier (10.30 am). All crew escaped.

Two A-4B Skyhawks of FAA Grupo 5 shot down over Choiseul Sound by Flt Lt Morgan RAF and a third by Lt D Smith in No.800 NAS Sea Harriers using Sidewinders (4.45 pm). Lt Arraras, Lt Bolzan and Ensign Vazquez killed.

Seems a few RAF pilots managed some air-to-air kills since Suez, in RN a/c admittedly but does that mean the RN pilots currently bombing lumps out of the Taliban in Afghanistan should be ignored as really they're RAF a/c?

Small-minded, single-service idiot.:mad: