PDA

View Full Version : Renting Property to the Mob

smugley
29th Sep 2006, 14:56
Not exactly a flying issue, but, kind of work related.
Does anyone know anything about letting a property to the Forces (DHE maybe)? I know of several Army units that have their people living in rented accm provided by the service. Is there a list or am I barking up the wrong one? :confused:
Cheers

Kitbag
29th Sep 2006, 15:04
You can, but not if you occupy it (i.e. trying to get them to pay for it as SSFA). They seem to employ an agent who will look at leasing agencies, so you will probably have to put on the books of an agency and then hope that your property comes up to spec. Having seen the specs, available on the intranet that should be easy as long as you are in a property built in the last 100 years which isn't actually falling down! ;)

South Bound
29th Sep 2006, 15:05
I think that all Service lettings (Substitute Service Families (or Single) Accomodation) is sorted through an agency called Countrywide. Presumably you need to get on their books somehow...

smugley
29th Sep 2006, 15:23
A-ha. 100 years eh?:uhoh: Don't want to occupy it myself, just a bit of a b@gger trying to rent out a property from the other end of the country. I'm led to believe that property let by the Forces is paid for whether or not anybody is actually in it. Which is nice.

Kitbag
29th Sep 2006, 15:31
It would be if it were true, 'fraid it doesn't work like that, the agency used to be Countrywide but have changed their name recently. It is viewed as a commercial transaction so if no-one is occupying it you certainly won't get paid.

smugley
29th Sep 2006, 15:56
That doesn't surprise me, if only though! Do you know what Countrywide have changed their name to? It would still be worth looking at as my property is well within commuting distance to more than one secret airbase near Lincolnsville.
I suppose notices in the nearby messes wouldn't go amiss either.

PompeySailor
29th Sep 2006, 16:08
Go to your local council and ask about putting your property on the RAPPS list. This is guaranteed paid rental via the council housing list (not all scum, you get normal people who are simply homeless, etc). Any damage is picked up by the council, it's a bit of an easy one. The hardest part is getting on the list, lots of people see this as an easy way to make guaranteed rental income.....:cool:

RNGrommits
29th Sep 2006, 18:05
Mind out if you have a mortgage on the property. If you let it to the MOD via countrywide (unaware that they had changed their name! But as long as the rent keeps coming in!) you are effectively renting it to a commercial company and you need a business mortgage rather than a normal buy to let, I had real snags come re-mortgage time. If you have any snags IM me and I will point you in the right direction. You also need to inform the UPO you are renting it out if you have LSAP. They will charge you a letting fee ontop of your normal repayments.

Countrywide also only act in the capacity to rent the house out, so only charge about £20 a month. They will not deal with stuff that you would expect a normal agency to do, such as periodic house inspections, gas & central heating inspections, organising repairs if needed etc. If you are remote from the property, get a proper agency first and then get them to rent the house to countrywide.
Also, if the property is empty, you won't get paid. But countrywide only take on property they require, so as soon as they don't need it, it will be vacant and you will be back to square one.

smugley
30th Sep 2006, 09:18
RNGrommits.
Thanks for the advice, my knowledge seems to be a bit out of date. I wonder whether the simple route of an agency might just be the best option. It's not that I'm dying to let it out to the likes of me! But I was under the impression that Countrywide provided a permanent monthly income, as opposed to waiting for tenants to move in etc. Seems a little too good to be true! Thanks again.

Oggin Aviator
30th Sep 2006, 09:58
I thought it was Hambro that dealt with all this stuff. I may be wrong though.

Oggin