PDA

View Full Version : Rotax Engines

tangovictor
28th Sep 2006, 19:35
I wonder if anyone has any inside info re forthcoming updates by Rotax ?
wouldn't a 6 cylinder engine, preferably fuel injected, be the biz ?

Rod1
28th Sep 2006, 20:02
Like this?

http://www.stockflightsystems.com/html/rotax_v300t.html

Rod1

tangovictor
28th Sep 2006, 21:55
Thank you Rod, thats great news

ChrisVJ
29th Sep 2006, 03:29
That was 2003. Gone pretty quiet about it since. Original (stated) plan was to supply it OEM only for a certified aircraft customer, but since then no news I have heard.

Incidentally our group fly our planes on Rotax 912 and 914 and several of us have had problems leading us seriously to doubt their half decent reputation, including brand new engine which failed immediately and which they seem not to want to replace. Personally I would prefer to fly on something else.

IO540
29th Sep 2006, 06:31
I don't know what price they set for that 220HP/300HP engine but if it is anywhere near the Thielert level they won't have any takers.

The Thielert's main unique selling point is the lower price of avtur, but this isn't the case in the USA. In most of Europe you can get tax free avgas if you have an AOC (any AOC) and this eliminates a large chunk of the big-operator market.

But even on the best picture the Thielert isn't worth looking at unless one is doing hundreds of hours a year, due to the high retrofit cost.

I do wish somebody did a decent watercooled engine with FADEC but, so far, nobody has shown they can design one that's more reliable than the current (1960s) Lyco designs.

Rod1
29th Sep 2006, 07:18
Chris,

That is an interesting comment. In my area we have a lot of 80’s and 100’s (inc mine) and the engine is very good and very popular. The 914 however seems to have endless problems and I would not touch one.

Is the lack of support causing the problem and not the engine?

Rod1

100LL
29th Sep 2006, 07:51
In 7 years of opperating Rotax 912 and 914's i can safely say that the only thing that causes problem with these little Engines is bad maintenance. If you maintain it to the book keep the carbs balanced and keep the gearbox friction in check this engine will run forever. We have run them up to TBO + extension and its been a shame to take them out of the Aircraft.