PDA

View Full Version : 2* to Approve Travel Applications

Dan Winterroll
28th Sep 2006, 19:29
So, as it has been announced we now need a 2* to approve air travel applications for a trip outside Europe and a 1* to approve air travel inside Europe. Can I have a Gp Capt to do my JPA for me, as anyone below 1* is obviously not capable/responsible enough to do anything?
Talk about a firm grip on the non-essentials and re arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

mutleyfour
28th Sep 2006, 19:39
Im sure that'll change by next week when said 2 stars are fed up with trawling through all that paperwork.

Muppet Show
28th Sep 2006, 19:41
...unless it is operational, in support of TransOp activities (ie crew positioning) or aeromed. Seems rather sensible to me bearing in mind the number of staff officers routinely crossing the pond for meetings that can equally be undertaken by telephone / vid conference. Does seem that auth is set ridiculously high though.

Dan Winterroll
28th Sep 2006, 20:05
Set too high ....

Thats my point the present system works. To say a 1* earning upto 86K cannot be trusted to authorise air travel outside europe is ludicrous!

L J R
28th Sep 2006, 20:16
Dan, to say a SQNLDR (Who could previously auth said trip (and is on £67k) cannot auth same trip anymore is equally stupid. Now we have to wait (how long???) to get approval for discounted airtravel will now cost up to double - because the discount is no longer valid on the day before, 'cos that is how long it took for 2* to get request for approval.. There goes the internet fast booking opportunity!!

vecvechookattack
28th Sep 2006, 23:52
wow - welcome to the real world fellas. I'm surprised it has taken the light blue this long to catch up.

The RN have had this rule for a couple of years now and it works ok as long as you plan ahead. A quick e-mail to the Boss and you have your approval within minutes. He can also approve multiple journeys.

Have the RAF had a recent cut in T&S spending..... we've recently lost 75% of this years T&S budget...consequently its all gone....are you guys having the same problems?

London Mil
29th Sep 2006, 04:35
So, a one * to fly to Briussels at £79 return or a self-auth Eurostar for the same dates at £125. :ugh:

PompeySailor
29th Sep 2006, 07:20
Well, at least we now know why the services have so many 1 & 2 *s. Now, can someone remind me what 'Lean-ing' was all about?:confused:

Leaning is soooo last year. We are into "transformation" now. Dubbed by the underclass as "Transforming - the Navy in disguise", as we believe it will give us the ability to take a Hunt class minesweeper, press a button, and turn it into a carrier. Or something like that.

http://www.coax.net/people/erics/TFBM_JetBlack.jpg

GoCo
29th Sep 2006, 08:26
A well informed little birdie told me earlier in the year that the MOD spent 180 million last year on travel to Washington alone. Apparently 80,000 MOD employees ( mil and Civ) found it 'necessary' to go there for 'business'. If this is an attempt to control this outrageous waste I'm all for it. Maybe there'll be a bit more loot for weapons.

PompeySailor
29th Sep 2006, 09:04
A well informed little birdie told me earlier in the year that the MOD spent 180 million last year on travel to Washington alone. Apparently 80,000 MOD employees ( mil and Civ) found it 'necessary' to go there for 'business'. If this is an attempt to control this outrageous waste I'm all for it. Maybe there'll be a bit more loot for weapons.

True. In addition, the rules regarding Club and First class flights have been abused. The idea of upgrading if you "hit the ground running" to a meeting became the norm. The RN was guilty of moving guys around the world in non-cattle class, which is partially why this new drive for economy has come in.

Not just air movements - rail as well. The idea of being "entitled" to 1st class rail travel is bollards in that the rest of the sentence in the book states that it can only be achieved subject to budgetary approval - and that there should be a good reason for 1st class travel. If you are working/phoning etc, then perhaps you can justify 1st class rail travel. Not when you are sleeping and dribbling on your Jermyn Street suit....

When a 1st class return rail warrant accounts for £81, and all Lt Cdrs and above expect a 1st class ticket, you can see the money mounting up. Especially when you could be carrying out meetings by VTC, MSN, group calls, etc!

airborne_artist
29th Sep 2006, 09:10
If GoCos figures are right then something is rotten. I run a business with 90% of my customers in the US and Canada - I last went there in 1999. I do spend huge amounts of time on the phone frequently until 0300 (they are mostly in California), but waste the best part of a week to go there and back - never, I wouldn't get any work done.

BEagle
29th Sep 2006, 09:10
Couldn't the RN just sail one of its little grey boats across the Oggin to Washington?

Carry quite a few of pusser's finest in their sailor suits, that would.

South Bound
29th Sep 2006, 09:15
Agree with the rail travel bollards, worked at DPA where the civvies live and die by the regs. Regularly held meetings in Town and we all travelled 1st Class, cost a fortune (£170 a pop). They did try to suggest that the military should travel down the back, but they lost that argument - as soon as the C2s & C1s stop travelling first class, so will I.

PompeySailor
29th Sep 2006, 09:18
Couldn't the RN just sail one of its little grey boats across the Oggin to Washington?

Carry quite a few of pusser's finest in their sailor suits, that would.

As long as you give us a three week lead time, you all attend Sea Safety courses at Whale Island, and STOP CALLING THE UPPER DECK THE BLOODY AIRFIELD!

foldingwings
29th Sep 2006, 11:09
Where I work all our air bookings (worldwide) are made on-line, paid for by GPC and authorised by the SO1/C1 Boss. He has delegated authority to do so and is scrupulous in ensuring best value for money; quite rightly so. All journeys have to have been pre-ordained in the T&S STP/FOO and appropriate justification provided before bookings are made. Realistically, the authorisation takes 20 minutes as a minimum and often, a nod precedes the formal written authority to book. This is essential as two clicks on a mouse, or even a day's delay, can see the internet airline ticket price increase dramatically.

So what do we achieve by giving the job to a 2*? Massive delays in the booking process resulting in an exorbitant increase in expense to the budget! With concomitant wastage of taxes. And all for the want of some civil servant gnome at the new CHQ (I am told) pushing his weight around without due consideration of the consequences of, frankly, his ill-thought through and flawed policy.

Just because ministers and civil servants lack integrity, does not mean that the rest of us do!

Soap box back in cupboard until next time!

Foldy

PompeySailor
29th Sep 2006, 11:26
Where I work all our air bookings (worldwide) are made on-line, paid for by GPC and authorised by the SO1/C1 Boss. He has delegated authority to do so and is scrupulous in ensuring best value for money; quite rightly so. All journeys have to have been pre-ordained in the T&S STP/FOO and appropriate justification provided before bookings are made. Realistically, the authorisation takes 20 minutes as a minimum and often, a nod precedes the formal written authority to book. This is essential as two clicks on a mouse, or even a day's delay, can see the internet airline ticket price increase dramatically.

So what do we achieve by giving the job to a 2*? Massive delays in the booking process resulting in an exorbitant increase in expense to the budget! With concomitant wastage of taxes. And all for the want of some civil servant gnome at the new CHQ (I am told) pushing his weight around without due consideration of the consequences of, frankly, his ill-thought through and flawed policy.

Just because ministers and civil servants lack integrity, does not mean that the rest of us do!

Soap box back in cupboard until next time!

Foldy

GPCs are the way ahead (although my interpretation of "travel related purchases" is famously flexible!). It's not just the RAF Simple Serpent gnome, the RN has a couple of minor obstructions as well who also have bright ideas that would be more suited to tea-boat management in a kindergarten. Best solution is to delegate financial authority for approval downwards, on paper, much as 2*s normally delegate financial authority for Assistant Directors, etc, for making their own decisions. As long as everything is auditable, proveable, and manageable, then it's a no-brainer.

SASless
29th Sep 2006, 13:13
CHANGE OF DUTY ORDERS.

The Navy used to require their officers to foot their total moving
expenses out of pocket and to file a request for reimbursement at their new
duty station and they might
be reimbursed several months later.

In Aug. of 1870, LCDR J. P. Fyffe had orders to be C.O. of a frigate
out of San Francisco. His current duty station was in New London,
Connecticut. He did not think it right that his moving expenses should be
out of pocket.

The following is what transpired. LCDR J.P. Fyffe sent a message to
the Secretary of the Navy requesting that the Navy either lay out the money
or supply him with railroad tickets or transportation via naval vessel.

The reply came from the Chief of Bureau of Navigation: To:
Lieutenant Commander J. P. Fyffe In reply to your letter of the 18th: Your
request is contrary to Navy regulations. Carry out your Orders. The Orders
also stated: While carrying out these Orders, you will keep the Bureau
informed of your whereabouts.

There was nothing which stated when he was supposed to arrive in San
Francisco or by what means. So LCDR Fyffe donned his best uniform and
strapped his sword to his small travel kit and at sunrise on the 25th, he
walked out of New London and headed westward for San Francisco. By sundown
he reached East Haddam where he sent the following telegram to the Chief:

25 August - Compliance Orders number 1998. LCDR Fyffe en route New
London to San Francisco on foot. This telegram to keep Bureau informed my
whereabouts. Made good 22 miles this date. Spending evening in hayloft in
Mount Parnassus. Very respectfully, Fyffe. Every evening for the next few
days he sent a telegram.

26 August - En route on foot. Made good 31 miles this date. By
gracious consent, Mayor of Bristol, am spending night Mayor's stables. Have
noticed he has hybrid mules specially bred for tropics. Suggest Navy
investigate.

27 August - En route on foot. Made good only 1 1/2 miles this date.
Rained all day. Staying overnight at Litchfield with my father's friend,
General R.G.Holmes, JR. I find standard boot worn by naval officer
inadequate for prolonged walking. Suggest Surgeon General investigate.

28 August - Spending night Lakeville. Lovely country. Expect to buy
home here as soon as I get reimbursed travel voucher submitted by me to Navy
three years ago. Tomorrow I enter New York State.

29 August - En route on foot. Made 28 miles this date despite badly
worn boots. People not familiar Navy uniforms this area. Great crowd
walked part way with me. I sang them sea chantries. Populace thinks it a
great sign of democracy for commanding officer of his ship to walk 3000
miles to new station. Police Chief W.D. O'Sullivan, Hudson, New York, has
given me best cell in jail for overnight.

30 August - En route on foot. Arrived Albany. Request Recruiting
Officer be authorized to issue me new shoes. Boots fell apart noon today.
Entered Albany barefooted. Will remain Seward Hotel two days awaiting
answer. Earning my keep as bartender. Local rum far superior than served in
Navy. Am sending sample.
Very respectfully, Fyffe.

31 August - Fyffe received the following message;
"I strike my colors. Secretary of the Navy authorized Recruiting Officer,
Albany issue you boots and provide quickest transportation from Albany to San
Francisco."

PompeySailor
29th Sep 2006, 13:52
SASLess - thank you. That is about to clog the entire DII network. I wonder how far I can get it on a Friday.....?

BEagle
29th Sep 2006, 14:18
SASless - brilliant!

What a great way to make the point about stupid rules!

SASless
29th Sep 2006, 14:44
I guessed it might bring a smile or too.....seems the military does not change much over the years after all!

BluntedAtBirth
29th Sep 2006, 15:31
Foldy

You are told wrong. If you read the covering letter you will see this one is the D***C's idea...