PDA

View Full Version : Flying Foreskin; - the future of VTOL

Dave_Jackson
28th Sep 2006, 19:15
Envision a VTOL aircraft without a blade, a wing and a prayer.

Envision a flying skin that does all by rotating its member.

Envision a flying skin that transitions by drooping its foreskin.

This is not a bunch of hot air. It is the Flying Foreskin (http://www.unicopter.com/1427.html)

VeeAny
28th Sep 2006, 19:19
Dave

I'd like two pints of whatever you've been smoking :D !

V.

Cyclic Hotline
28th Sep 2006, 19:34
rotating members

Eeeek! I can't imagine many members here, wanting to put their members anywhere too close to that device there!

It would certainly be a flying foreskin, but perhaps not the way you envisioned it!:uhoh:

Droopy
28th Sep 2006, 19:59
You'd have to be circumspect in your operations........

Dis-Mystery of Lift
28th Sep 2006, 20:44
and imagine the Foresight you would develope:ok:

Disguise Delimit
28th Sep 2006, 21:33
Who's the d1ck that thought of this??

Awright
28th Sep 2006, 21:40
Concerns:

You bet.These guys are demently cool !!! :ok:

I absolutely want to see the first flight test :cool:

212man
28th Sep 2006, 23:18
All I can say is 3 5 3 5.......

Cyclic Hotline
29th Sep 2006, 04:57
A circumcising machine might make you very rich in your part of the world, 212man!:eek:

Imagine, maybe 100 patients an hour @ $100 a shot!:uhoh:

Maybe Dave has cracked it this time!:ooh:

John Eacott
29th Sep 2006, 05:30
Thoughtless Ideas - Flying Carpet (Roots blowers)

Is that a deliberate misspelling of "Rootes Blowers"? :p

Graviman
29th Sep 2006, 09:42
Dave, you've been beaten to the whacky lifters:
http://jnaudin.free.fr/lifters/main.htm

It works by electrostatically accelerating air through the grid, but not sure about thrust/power efficiency (probably quite good). It could be scaled up, but by the time you have a turbogenerator supplying power and high voltage equipment it may have been easier/cheaper to drive a rotor head. I notice none of them lift their own power supplies yet, although perhaps with a low enough "grid loading". :}

This is the problem with all these approaches to generating downforce, very little approaches a rotor in terms of weight for a given planform area. There is then the same problem as a ducted fan that you end up with high disk loading, so a compromised machine. This puts these ideas firmly in the dreamers catagory, but the practical folk won't touch them. JL Naudin has done some serious work though, both in experimental work and documentation of the technique.

Trouble is JL Naudin also gets into all this over unity energy stuff, which always looks interesting at first but later ends up having overlooked something. Wonderful if a "box" could generate power from mystical quantum phenomena, but i just don't buy it. Partly because physics has taught me that you don't get ought for nought, and partly because as an engineer i have to eat. :)

For completeness i include the main site (with coanda effect aircraft):
http://jnaudin.free.fr/
This is a helicopter pilot's forum, so i will not discuss anything else further. There is the usual combination of fun and certifiable...

Mart