PDA

View Full Version : Schweizer dont want to sell helicopters

Hughes500
28th Sep 2006, 07:54
I have just been told be Schweizer they will not sell me a new Cbi ! I tried to specify one as follows. Left hand P1, no doors, no removable dual controls ( fixed bits to remain ) no seats and carpet ( these would come from a crashed machine that had been recovered in leather 6 days before it crashed ) no radio or transponder - these would be fitted locally.
I was not asking for a list price reduction in the bits not fitted but for a quote.
It took SAC 7 weeks to come back and say they would not sell one to me specified like this.
Just curious has any one else had this problem, or are SAC doing so well they can turn away business ?
I look forward to the comments, incidentaly I am a big fan as I run 2 of the machines in a training school in UK and wanted to upgrade the fleet:confused:

GoodGrief
28th Sep 2006, 08:06
My guess is that your order just sounded too weird, so they didn't take it for real.
Why don't you just order a "regular" machine and sell the parts you don't need for a good price ? Would make much more sense economically...

Whirlygig
28th Sep 2006, 08:18
I have a feeling that the CBi would have some problems with CoG with left hand P1 because of the way the design has altered from the C.

Cheers

Whirls

Graviman
28th Sep 2006, 08:20
They would be concerned about selling a helicopter that could cause them grief down the line. Imagine the situation that you sold the helicopter, then the carpet caused a control jam or a seat came loose. Their legal dept probably telling them it's safer to say no. They may have no means of inspecting the seats for crash damage, but it might be worth asking them if they will fit the seats themselves. Carpet won't be worth it.

HillerBee
28th Sep 2006, 08:35
I think they can't sell a helicopter without seats. This would compromise the type certificate and the FAA won't issue an airworthiness cert.

Left hand P1 isn't a problem. By the way there's a 2004 lefthand P1 for sale in BC, Canada.

rotornut
28th Sep 2006, 10:45
Manufacturers are terrified of lawsuits these days - especially in the U.S.. So Schweizer is probably erring on the side of caution. Just ask Frank Robinson...

Hughes500
28th Sep 2006, 13:33
Guys

the seats are out of a Schweizer so there should be no issue !

HillerBee
28th Sep 2006, 13:39
When the helicopter leaves the factory, it's inspected by an FAA inspector and then the AC is issued. He can't do that when there are no seats.

Hughes500
28th Sep 2006, 14:41
OK can go with the seats, but you think SAC would tell me !

HillerBee
28th Sep 2006, 14:49
I fully agree on that one. It's going all too well for Schweizer I suppose.

levo
28th Sep 2006, 17:06
What coluor are the seats are they for sale ?