PDA

View Full Version : T'its for charity

HOGE
28th Sep 2006, 07:31
http://www.thisisbradford.co.uk/news/tibnews/display.var.941531.0.unwanted_bras_help_air_ambulance_save_l ives.php

Unwanted bras help air ambulance save lives
By Claire Lomax

Women in Bradford are being urged to hand in their unwanted bras to help save lives across the region.

The Yorkshire Air Ambulance has launched its Bag It Up bra campaign in partnership with recycling company Tradehouse (Elland) Ltd.

It is hoped to collect at least 200,000 unwanted bras, which will then be packed for shipment to customers in the UK and overseas where demand for quality, used garments is high.

All funds raised will go towards the cost of running the Yorkshire Air Ambulance, which is based at Leeds-Bradford Airport and receives no government funding.
continued...

Leading the way in this campaign is the West Yorkshire Federation of Women's Institutes, whose members are rallying round for bras that are too big, too small or just plain uncomfortable.

West Yorkshire Federation chairman Joyce Moorehouse said: "It's a privilege to help a local charity and I feel honoured to belong to an organisation that is able to give strong support that will keep the Yorkshire Air Ambulance flying."

Louise Knapton, director of Tradehouse (Elland) Ltd, said: "Second-hand bras are in demand, particularly in developing countries, where traders can buy and sell used garments at affordable prices."

Sally Robinson, owner of AmpleBosom.com, an online bra retailer based in Helmsley, North Yorkshire, is giving her full support to the campaign. She said: "I am happy to be involved in such a good idea to help women in other parts of the world and the Yorkshire Air Ambulance. And it costs us nothing to tidy out our drawers!"

Paul Gowland, fundraising director for the YAA, said the backing from WI members was phenomenal.

"When they confirmed their involvement with this latest ambitious and innovative campaign, we were delighted," he said.

If you can help collect unwanted bras, call Louise on 0800 043 43 42 or email [email protected].

Meanwhile money continues to flood in for the YAA from fans of Top Gear presenter Richard Hammond, 36, who was airlifted by the YAA to hospital in Leeds after the jet-powered car he was driving crashed at Elvington Airfield near York, last Wednesday.

So far £182,090 has been given by fans, including a single donation of £50,000.

Martin Eede, chief executive of Yorkshire Air Ambulance, said: "YAA needs a second helicopter to be based in South Yorkshire as about 300 incidents a year cannot be attended as we're either on another job, the weather at Leeds-Bradford Airport has closed in or we are off-line for scheduled maintenance," he said.

"YAA will be designating Richard's fan's donations for Hammy's Heli', so that we can expand our work and advance our plans for a second helicopter.

"This would offer a number of advantages. It would advance our capital plans, give a lasting tribute to Richard and his incredible fans and assist our fundraising, as well as freeing capital earmarked for a second helicopter to be used to save lives now."

Droopy
28th Sep 2006, 08:13
It brings a whole new meaning to the term "underslung load"...:ooh:

I've seen some of those Bratf't lasses, they'll be needing a big lorry...still, there's always a demand for tents in war-torn regions

Whirlygig
28th Sep 2006, 08:15
I'd be only to pleased offer my support!

Cheers

Whirls