PDA

View Full Version : DLO Strike

ORAC
28th Sep 2006, 06:03
The Grauniad: (http://www.guardian.co.uk/military/story/0,,1882596,00.html) Relocation protest by MoD depot workers threatens troop supplies

Frontline British troops in Afghanistan and Iraq face shortages in a range of equipment, from ammunition to toilet paper, following a decision by 4,000 defence workers to take industrial action over job losses.

The action, which comes as troops are under enormous pressure fighting a resurgent Taliban and growing violence in Iraq, is expected to begin next week. It will involve a work to rule, an overtime ban and a refusal to cover for staff at five Ministry of Defence depots across England. They supply the armed forces with food, basic equipment, small arms and bullets.........

tucumseh
28th Sep 2006, 06:49
It was often said that imposing a work-to-rule would be the greatest efficiency imaginable in DPA and DLO. At a stroke, it would shed light on those who have authority but no responsibility, who make up so many of those who do not directly contribute to delivering capability; like beancounters, most commercial, ILS, most Requirement Managers, Personnel and so on. The reason is simple – all technical project managers must be able to do every other job in their project team; but not vice versa. (If you’re a PM and reading this, and can’t do all these jobs, you’ve beaten the system; but to the detriment of your Customer). And think how quickly project approvals would go through without these adolfs sticking their noses in. One or two may go out on strike, but it won’t last.

WPH
28th Sep 2006, 10:01
Looking at the title of this thread I thought it was another restructuring proposal bringing the DLO and STC together! :O

But no, it's all about work to rule - question is, will we notice any difference?

ZH875
28th Sep 2006, 16:54
How many Civil Serpents work for the MoD...

....Just under half of them.:)

blodwyn
28th Sep 2006, 19:13
I suspect that the people striking will be the people who have little regard for what they do for a job and where they fit into the bigger picture.

Rest assured there will be a number who really care aboout the boys and girls at the pointy end and will continue to work there butts of in support fo little financial reward !

tucumseh
29th Sep 2006, 05:15
“I suspect that the people striking will be the people who have little regard for what they do for a job”

No, I have it on good authority the DPA/DLO Executive Boards are not walking out.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
29th Sep 2006, 06:55
The DLO was formed from 3, perhaps 4, distinct organisations. Regardless of enforced uniformity (principally towards "Brown"), the mindsets and ethos of the staff still exist. With that in mind, it is important that not all DLO staff are tarred with the same brush. The current dissidents are, incidentally, formerly of the "Brown" persuasion.

Turkeys voting for Christmas is a concept that springs to mind.

Melchett01
29th Sep 2006, 20:22
I guess they will be given some sort of relocation package?

I'm sure there will be many that disagree with me, and please feel free - I really don't care, but why should the Civil Service be give some sort of preferential treatment over the military that are posted (possibly to the other end of the country) every couple of years?

When they join the Civil Service, surely they must realise that they may be liable to move or make some sort of change as part of their basic role or as part of their broader Civil Service career.

It is interesting to read some of the various publications that clutter up the ante-room in my Mess in which various Civil Servants claim that they are an invaluable part of defence, without which, the dubious campaign of the day would grind to a screeching halt. It is interesting to note , therefore, that when any changes to defence are made in the interests of efficiency or increasing defence capability (of the latest dubious campaign) that the Civil Service are the first to complain.

Try being in the uniformed services and being posted every 2-3 years. Then you can legitimatley complain.

movadinkampa747
29th Sep 2006, 20:27
Try being in the uniformed services and being posted every 2-3 years. Then you can legitimatley complain.

So you are complaining about moving every two to three years?
When you joined the Armed Forces, surely you must have realised that you would be liable to move or make some sort of change as part of your basic role or as part of your broader Service career? Many Civilian companies pay relocation packages so why shouldn't they get one?

Jobza Guddun
29th Sep 2006, 21:07
Think you missed the point there Mova.

movadinkampa747
29th Sep 2006, 21:28
Think you missed the point there Mova.
How exactly?

Melchett01
29th Sep 2006, 21:52
I wasn't going to bother replying, but then I thought why shouldn't I? We have pussy footed around the civil service and their tantrums for too long.
So you are complaining about moving every two to three years?

I'm not complaining at all. In fact I almost look forward to moving as it gives me something new to get my teeth into. But if you want to do 9-5 in the same office for 25 yrs, please feel free.

However, Civil Servants are just that - Servants. They are here to SERVE. Not that you would ever realise that given the general attitude of many of them. And before you get on your soap box about sweeping generalisations, I have worked with some excellent Civil Servants, one of whom was an outstanding mentor and really took what I had learned in training to the next level. It is interesting to note that he was an ex-Army major rather than a dyed in the wool Sir Humphery.

However, there are too many Civil Servants that view work as being an easy ticket, come to work, put in a piss poor performance and then complain when it is brought up in their appraisals - "you can't say that, it's a union right that I play golf every 3rd day and only do a full day's work when there is a T in the day"

What I am saying movadinkampa747 , IF the Civil Service want to be seen as a credible part of this country's defence, something that they seem to aspire to if you read the various works of fiction that they put out each month, then they should shut up and spend as much time doing their jobs as they do bitching and whinging. If they are a credible part of this country's defence, why should they be treated any differently to the uniformed members of this country's defence.

You're either in or you're out. Fit in or fxxk off. And no, I haven't been to the bar, just come back from theatre and hacked off with whinging Civil Servants that want to appear one thing and then act like a bunch of spoilt nancies doing the opposite. Next time I'm in theatre, don't think I'll bother doing anything that will put me out, regardless of the operational requirement. Or would that make me too much like a civil serpent?

Willi B
30th Sep 2006, 06:24
Melchett01

Totally agree.

Your comment: However, there are too many Civil Servants that view work as being an easy ticket, come to work, put in a piss poor performance and then complain when it is brought up in their appraisals - "you can't say that, it's a union right that I play golf every 3rd day and only do a full day's work when there is a T in the day"

aptly describes the pubic serpent oxygen thieves in the Australian Department of Defence.

DEL Mode
30th Sep 2006, 07:02
I honestly believe that a strike would have a minimal effect on the Front Line operations. Therefore highlighting the added value of the staff.

Maybe Simpler could set up and monitor some PI's before and during the event (sorry strike), thus proving the added value?