PDA

View Full Version : OE piling mails into Outbox.

PPRuNe Pop
27th Sep 2006, 19:45
I cannot identify the errors. All outbound mails are being stored in the outbox and I cannot send. I guess it must be a setting wrong somewhere but hanged if I can find it.

Your assistance will be appreciated.

PPP

rotorcraig
27th Sep 2006, 20:38
Hmmm could be difficult to track down - quite a few options.

Outbox is where messages are supposed to go whilst they are queued to be sent.

The question is why yours are not leaving the Outbox - here are some things to check for a start:

1) Have you inadvertently gone into "working offline" mode? On the "File" menu there should not be a tick against "Work Offline". If there is, click the option again to remove the tick.

2) Click on "Tools / Accounts" ... is your Mail account listed there? Select it and click "Properties" ... make sure that "Include this account when receiving mail or synchronising" is ticked.

3) Click on "Tools / Send and Receive / Send All" ... what happens? Any errors reported?

RC

PPRuNe Pop
28th Sep 2006, 05:39
rotorcraig, thanks.

Checked all the above and all as should be.

Did a couple of tests by sending to three of my own mail boxes and I got them all almost instantly but the messages are still in the outbox and have not gone to 'sent items.'

BOAC
28th Sep 2006, 08:53
I would suggest backing-up your emails as we have discussed and then a re-install of OE? It sounds as if something 'is rotten in the state' :)

Mornington Crescent
28th Sep 2006, 10:57
Pop

found this somewhere.

Unable to send e-mail in Outlook Express: messages remain in the Outbox
Summary: This problem is caused when one of messages in the Outbox is corrupt.
Resolution: In most cases it can be resolved by moving the messages from the Outbox to the Drafts folder, and then sending them one by one. One of the messages will fail to send; this message must be deleted and re-created from scratch.
If the message can not even be moved to another folder, the problem is that Outlook Express’ message index is corrupted. To fix this, select File -> Folder -> Compact all folders. This can take a while depending on the size of the message index, but after it is finished everything should work again.

Is it any good?

MC

PPRuNe Pop
28th Sep 2006, 17:35
BOAC and guys,

Great help there which gave me clues. I went another OE on another machine and it is setup like mine!!!

I am sending now but NOTHING goes into the 'sent items' folder. I cannot PUT anything in there either. When I delete the mails that are in the outbox they go into 'deleted items' which surprised me a bit. I can permanently delete them from there.

However, I can send if I do it manually - one at a time. If I forget to delete those already in there - I re-send everything and that can be annoying to the recipients.

So its the bit between SEND and the outbox where they go sending and then onto SENT ITEMS.

Any other thoughts?

Ta!

PPP

BOAC
28th Sep 2006, 19:22
You have ticked the 'save sent emails in sent box'?............:eek:

PPRuNe Pop
29th Sep 2006, 05:44
Yep! Done that.

roundwego
5th Jan 2007, 17:35
Hi Pop,

Did you ever get a resolution to your email problem? I have a similar problem with my wife's laptop. It has OE setup with two accounts, one for her and one for my email address. Mine works fine but when she tries to send an email via her account, the error box shows there was an error on sending but no error description is showing in the text box. The outgoing email stays in the Outbox but it has in fact been sent. OE then keeps sending the email out but thinks it hasn't suceeded and would end up sending it indefinitely if it wasn't manually deleted from the outbox.

I have tried all the suggestions i can find (deleting outbox.dbx files, switching off email scanning etc) with no success.

Has anyone any other ideas to help?

Keef
5th Jan 2007, 22:05
Has anyone any other ideas to help?

Apart from the obvious: dump OE and switch to Thunderbird. It's free, and in my experience a lot more reliable.