PDA

View Full Version : Sayonara OFT!

akula
26th Sep 2006, 17:59
I have it from a reasonably(in a very shifty dodgy kind of way) reliable source that the joke that was the Operational Fitness Test/Assessment is no more. It seems that we must remove all traces of this blemish ASAP, posters and documentation are to be destroyed and we are to standby for further.

One up for the pie munchers:} :}

ALWAYS assume NEVER check

Olly O'Leg
26th Sep 2006, 18:05
Awesome..... I've heard similar rumours. Having done it recently and seen a shortish female nearly drop a 25kg bag on her head as she tried to roll it onto the 4-tonner, it's about time. And she wasn't a weakling blunty blotter-jotter either. :ouch:

L1A2 discharged
26th Sep 2006, 19:00
hopefully correct info above. To achieve and maintain a level of fitness which meets the needs of the employment theatre requires time, funding and support across the full spectrum (not Capt. Scarletts spectrum).

A possible way ahead would be to practice operational conditions regularly, perhaps in a series of build up scenarios with a 'building block' approach, them meld smaller entities together to increase the effectiveness across units, then combined scenarios across units, then force sized events with realistic input.
:ugh:

We used to call them microval, minival, taceval etc. :oh:
*to include all personnel, but especially those 'undeployables'

mystic_meg
26th Sep 2006, 19:48
employment theatre
full spectrum
build up scenarios
a 'building block' approach
meld smaller entities
force sized events

.."HOUSE!"

Always_broken_in_wilts
26th Sep 2006, 20:01
You really could'nt write this stuff:rolleyes:

Already this week it's Blunt Command Nil and Common Sense 2 as OFT and Capped Actuals bite the dust:D

Bearing in mind the millions of £'s these two crazy schemes have wasted to date does anyone know if the two daft feckers who invented them have been sacked...............................or promoted:ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

Tilt&Gain
26th Sep 2006, 20:34
While we're getting rid of ridiculous ideas, can we get rid of the capped actuals system now?

boyassassin
26th Sep 2006, 20:38
While we're getting rid of ridiculous ideas, can we get rid of the capped actuals system now?

Non Wahhhh!!:}

neilmac
26th Sep 2006, 20:46
As a short bloke I wasnt looking forward to dropping a sandbag on my head on OFT either!! Didnt wanna lose anymore brain cells !!
Great news!

NM

Training Risky
26th Sep 2006, 21:08
Well hip hip hooray to that.

I wasn't worried about lifting some bags and shovelling a bit of sand about - as I am a reasonably fit 20-something.

What does worry me is how on earth we are going to be able to 're-educate' the terminally unfit bags of sh!te in blue that skulk around admin offices and hangars across the land.... let alone sack them without being taken to the cleaners by shyster lawyers on the Human Rights bandwagon.

What do we introduce instead?

Mr C Hinecap
26th Sep 2006, 22:17
I can't wait for the main body from PTC to arrive at the secret conjoined HQ base in the woods of Bucks - they are going to make the rest of us look so slick and together it is not true!

Uncle Ginsters
26th Sep 2006, 22:55
Love it. Having had to sit throught that bullSh*t sexual harassment chat at my unit recently, how could they ever get away with a separate M & F standard for the OFT anyway. A victory for TRUE equality, if nothing else:D

Uncle G:ok:

QFIhawkman
26th Sep 2006, 23:13
Love it. Having had to sit throught that bullSh*t sexual harassment chat at my unit recently, how could they ever get away with a separate M & F standard for the OFT anyway. A victory for TRUE equality, if nothing else:D

Uncle G:ok:

I'm afraid not Uncle G.

Check with your unit PTIs.

Your Bleep test will continue next year.

But at a new level.

Generally, add one level, plus about 2-5 shuttles depending on age.

And this is the bit that'll kill ya........

A 49 year old man has to do a higher level than a 17 year old female.

I sh*t you not gents.

The Bike test has ceased.

If any of you doubt me, get on down to your friendly unit PTI. He'll confirm it.

Mad_Mark
27th Sep 2006, 08:14
A possible way ahead would be to practice operational conditions regularly

Who needs to practice :confused: Many of us spend more than enough time doing :mad:

MadMark!!! :mad:

DKP1
27th Sep 2006, 09:27
Lets stop the OFT, get into theater and get on with it!

The people that need to do the job generally can and if they cant they seem to be bullied (educated) into making themselves able!!

Is the OFT a last chance saloon at keeping the PTI trade in business?

Skunkerama
27th Sep 2006, 09:55
I would have thought that the standard of fitness among aircrew would be very high anyway, to handle high G and also in case of E & E. It's in their interest to be very fit and healthy.

Unfortunatley there will always be a few fat scranbag's hanging around the station and they need to be beasted. Mind you if they can get their podgy little fingers around their spanners or stacking blankets then is there a problem?

It's always handy to go on the pull with a chubby in tow anyway, atleast your garunteed the lookers.

South Bound
27th Sep 2006, 09:58
Missing the point - the OFT would have been instigated and trained for in the UK only - tell me where PTIs are deployed and I will accept that there might be a reason to keep them uniformed. Otherwise, civilianise the lot

Skunkerama
27th Sep 2006, 10:11
So you don't think that the RAF should have fitness standards?
And judging by the uniform thread some don't think there should be standards for uniform.

Perhaps all of your jobs could be contracted out to BA or Virgin?

South Bound
27th Sep 2006, 10:32
Skunky

I am with you. I really do think people are ignoring the issue when they suggest that everything is OK as long as we can fly our aircraft, turn our spanners, operate our keyboards etc.

Not sure what I would introduce instead, but the OFT was just wrong. I kinda think that anyone in theatre should be able to pick up their kit and weapon and run away if they were on an aircraft that was forced to crashland - perhaps we could have a test based on a forced march/run with a fight (or strenuous activity) at the end, maybe call it the CFT....

Maple 01
27th Sep 2006, 10:41
Skunkerama and South Bound, if you want to be soldiers hand in your blue kit (if you've got any) and join the brown-jobs

The Real Air Force don't need no squaddie wannabees or PTIs!

Break out the pies boys, another victory for common sense!

South Bound
27th Sep 2006, 10:55
Mapes, nah don't want to be a squaddie, just don't want to have to wait for some unfit knacker if I am partaking in a spot of E&E - your call really.

I know we joke about this, but anyone could go to Kandy, anyone could then be asked to fly intra-theatre and anyone might need to run away/ defend themselves/their mates etc.

Give yourselves the best chance of getting home to your beloved Playstations, get fit:ok:

DKP1
27th Sep 2006, 11:02
just don't want to have to wait for some unfit knacker if I am partaking in a spot of E&E - your call really.

Not sure who I would wait for during a bit of E&E.... Not done the course so don't know the SOP's but if someone is slow surely they will get caught first.......

Buy better trainers/Alt Bergs I say!

Mead Pusher
27th Sep 2006, 11:13
Missing the point - the OFT would have been instigated and trained for in the UK only - tell me where PTIs are deployed and I will accept that there might be a reason to keep them uniformed. Otherwise, civilianise the lot

Where are PTIs deployed? With every Sqn, on every Ex and Op - or that's what I thought. They've been on every Op and Ex that I've been on, anyway.

Maple 01
27th Sep 2006, 11:36
I know we joke about this, but anyone could go to Kandy, anyone could then be asked to fly intra-theatre and anyone might need to run away/ defend themselves/their mates etc.

Ahh yes, but I can still run away (aged 40) faster than most 17 year old WAAFs, so therefore I'm safe

Death to PTIs!

BEagle
27th Sep 2006, 12:05
Ooh, I don't know. It might be rather fun finding ways of making a 17 year old WRAF puff and pant a bit.........:E

OK,OK, I'll get my....

South Bound
27th Sep 2006, 12:42
Mapes, cool, you and I will run together then and let the girls and 21 year-olds get caught! Might not get us the medal we want, so would rather they were forced to get fit so they can keep up so that I don't feel some stupid compulsion to stop and help them out....

MP - Can't see any RAF PTIs at Kandy - what would their role be? Might be wrong, but don't think so. Why would they need to be - if they deploy us fit, we should last the det - I don't know of anyone that has come back having put on weight. Anyone can arrange an early morning run to wake up the boys and girls while in theatre...

Number2
27th Sep 2006, 12:43
I wasn't the fittest person on the block but I could put up tents, dig trenches, fill sandbags, do my primary task etc etc in very hot/cold places with the best of them.

I'd rather have more people like me on det than the 24 year old Fg Off 'Racing Snake' we had once that cried because he missed his girlfriend.

Jobza Guddun
27th Sep 2006, 13:58
"I know we joke about this, but anyone could go to Kandy, anyone could then be asked to fly intra-theatre and anyone might need to run away/ defend themselves/their mates etc."

Southy I agree with your sentiment, however, I'm sure I could defend myself / mates / oppoes much better if I actually shot my Fisher-Price bang stick more than 30 rounds in 2 years. Spend money on regular shooting practice and the odd airfield-defence exercise - surely that's a more likely basic scenario for those of us "in the rear, with the gear"?

Oh - and give me back my SLR please. Stop any bugger that :ok:

Jobza

South Bound
27th Sep 2006, 14:17
Can't fault that, agree we need more military training. Need to be twice as fit to carry the SLR tho ;)

Skunkerama
27th Sep 2006, 14:22
I'd take the SA80 in a base defence/close quarter battle situation anyday.

Small and easily handled.

Light weight

Rounds won't penetrate brickwork and people beyond.

Will incapacitate enemy

Kitbag
27th Sep 2006, 14:32
SLR

Who wants to incapacitate the enemy? Means you end up looking after him if you win the firefight. Much prefer to shoot to kill and the SLR was certainly capable of that. Elsewhere we are bemoaning the lack of firepower available from the air. I know its a heavy bu**er to yomp across miles of marsh or up and down hills, but airfields by their nature tend to be fixed, even in these expeditionary days. Tools for the job?

BluntedAtBirth
27th Sep 2006, 14:32
Tell me where PTIs are deployed and I will accept that there might be a reason to keep them uniformed. Otherwise, civilianise the lot

They are earmarked on the 'big push' as Det WO's right hand man managing the accomodation and the operational welfare packages - no editorial comment is offered here, just proffering a fact. Some PJIs have op roles in various formations and places.

Skunkerama
27th Sep 2006, 14:38
SLR

Who wants to incapacitate the enemy? Means you end up looking after him if you win the firefight. Much prefer to shoot to kill and the SLR was certainly capable of that. Elsewhere we are bemoaning the lack of firepower available from the air. I know its a heavy bu**er to yomp across miles of marsh or up and down hills, but airfields by their nature tend to be fixed, even in these expeditionary days. Tools for the job?

If heavy wepons in a fixed position are what you want then may I suggest this is more to sirs liking?

http://www.ccfa.com/Pages/Images/NFA%20Firearms/mk191.jpg

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_50cal-GAU-19_MG_Army_pic.jpg

And of course it's better to incapacitate the enemy, 1 enemy down means 2-4 others to carry him out to a safe area, and you may get good intel out of them.

Maple 01
27th Sep 2006, 14:42
Det WO's right hand man

GDs!

PTIs=TAGs?

Mmmmnice
27th Sep 2006, 14:47
Skunkerama
I can see how big the bottom one is (from the bloke with the grin), but how big is the other one?...and are those paint rounds or grenades? Meanwhile, I'd like something a bit smaller than the SA80 (to keep a bit closer when I'm in the 'office')..but the ability to carry many more bullets obviously.

South Bound
27th Sep 2006, 14:51
Saw a little stubby SA80 derivative, meant for tankies etc, maybe being looked at for SH crews, not sure.

Personally give me a shotgun for close in stuff and an SA80 for running away with!

Skunkerama
27th Sep 2006, 14:53
http://www.defense-update.com/images/mk47combat.jpg