PDA

View Full Version : Light Aircraft crash, Cheshire, UK (Merged)

cwllpl
25th Sep 2006, 20:19
Just heard on LPL atc radio that a smalll aircraft has allegedly crashed around the northwich area of cheshire, does anybody have any news on this.

I had to post in here because i have been banned from r+n

ANW
25th Sep 2006, 22:20
Told it was GJURE TB10. No further info apart from location given as Delamere Forest.

ANW
26th Sep 2006, 08:08
BBC web site has a news item
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/5380302.stm

jayteeto
26th Sep 2006, 12:44
Just watched the report on Northwest Today, the aircraft is still up in the trees, about 20'. A miracle that he survived by the looks of it, 2 broken arms and serious burns. The reporter did a classic of course :ugh: saying "The 52 year old pilot was the owner of the aircraft, so he must have been very experienced". I didn't realise that you had to be very experienced to buy a plane??

Ransman
26th Sep 2006, 17:54
A pilot has suffered burns after his light aircraft caught fire when it crashed in a forest in Cheshire.
Emergency crews were called on Monday night after being alerted that the aircraft, flying from Liverpool John Lennon airport, was in difficulty.

The 52-year-old pilot, from Merseyside, had been flying alone and suffered second-degree burns.

The plane crashed into woodland near Delamere Forest. Fire crews said that the dense forest lessened the impact.

Air accident investigators are due to visit the scene to help establish the cause of the crash.

Link to BBC news site:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/5380302.stm

Sir George Cayley
26th Sep 2006, 18:25
Sounds like the pilot was a lucky guy. Hope he makes a speedy recovery:ok:

Can't be many schools, hospitals or old person's homes to steer away from in t'forest.:)

Sir George Cayley

TooL8
27th Sep 2006, 10:37
Sunset 18:50 for that lat/long so I guess it was dark!

Makes me think twice about single-engine night flying. If it all goes quiet up front you don't have a lot of options :ouch:

IO540
27th Sep 2006, 10:48
There are a few things which (to me) seem bad risk management

- night flight, in a single

- flight over terrain (especially mountains) shrouded in cloud, in a single

- flight in icing conditions, with the cloudbase below the MSA, in anything but a seriously de-iced plane

- flight over dense forest

The first one has to be done occassionally, and almost everybody has to do it to get certain licenses. The 2nd one and the 4th one are comparable; perhaps OK to do very occassionally (well, I've done it...). The third is a real problem. The 4th...??... you just have to get on with it and keep fingers crossed.

But there is a lot of double standards.

A lot of people fly at night in a SEP, but would not fly over water. A lot of people fly over the Channel without a life raft (pretty much the norm to do that on the school/club scene as far as I can tell) but would not fly at night. Etc.

I still have to do the FAA CPL night flight, about 300nm......

Boggart
27th Sep 2006, 11:51
More from the
Manchester Evening News (http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/224/224097_pilot_walks_away_from_plane_inferno.html)

maxdrypower
27th Sep 2006, 12:19
Lets hope a speedy recovery for the chap . In answer to tool and 540 I am led to believe that this accident happened at about 0940 in the morning it was certainly on the lunchtime news in Cheshire so I dont think it was actually dark but I may be wrong. The flight over dense forest bit is an unfortunate fact of life for Ga operating out of Liverpool . All arriving VFR traffic either arrive via Chester or Oulton Park . The latter means you have to fly over the forest and then the south bank of the mersey not above 1500' so your pretty much stuck with that one . The report stated he had been airborne for half an hour when he crashed into the forest , this , if true means he must have had a problem and turned back as the forest is less than five minutes flying time and ten minutes from take off , all will become clear Im sure .
It certainly looked like GJURE on the news footage I think they have been offering shares for that one in the flying schools recently.
One point out of dozens I think that is relevant here may very clothing . I used to be ridiculed by certain airline types at certain flying clubs around the country for wearing a nomex flying suit when in a pa38-28 after a friend was burned in an incident .This poor chap suffered burns as a result of this crash , would he have been so severely injured if he had nomex on , Robinson helicopters seem to think it relevant ,
Any thoughts????
Wishing the chap a very speedy recovery

jayteeto
27th Sep 2006, 12:46
It was the night before I think, look at time of first post. Local news said 'last night' as well.

maxdrypower
27th Sep 2006, 12:48
yeeeeeees intriguing , I have just seen another news report but again they havent confirmed the time , we will wait and see

Rod1
27th Sep 2006, 14:23
“This poor chap suffered burns as a result of this crash , would he have been so severely injured if he had nomex on”

It could only help.

Rod1

Sir George Cayley
27th Sep 2006, 16:08
Having lived in said forest the last thing I wood call it - is dense.

There are areas of man made cultivation (Evergreens) but the area known as The Forest encompases villages, lakes and a lot of pasture.

Admitedly it only take a clump of trees to spoil your day but were not talking about vast swathes of inpenetrable canopy.

On a number of flights out of a private strip in the area I never had a problem "picking a field" when challenged by the sadist sat on my right.

The issue of single engine at night is a wider one than just northwest Cheshire.

Anyway, every one you walk away from.............

Sir George Cayley

maxdrypower
27th Sep 2006, 17:05
From my sources in the know , I have just been informed that this accident did not occur in the forest itself but in the principality of Oakmere Northwich nr to Hogshead Lane which is widely known for other extra curricular activities of many a married closeted man which is close to but not actually the forest, this as Sir George stated is not densely forested . It runs alongside the main A556 Dual carriagewayand A49 and is surrounded by many open areas and large fields , I have been further informed that it took place at 9pm so it would have been dark so its unlikely the pilot saw any of this .
Once again speedy recovery

doubledolphins
29th Sep 2006, 13:39
Fireman on the BBC said "He was lucky the trees broke the fall" or words to that effect. I would say he was very unlucky he hit the trees when he was hoping to come down on open ground. Old advice from my instructing days for a forced landing at night. "When you assess your height to be aprox 200' AGL, turn on the aircraft landing light. If you do not see, or can not reach a suitable landing area, switch it off again."