PDA

View Full Version : Does 'Southern Air' still exist?

Fast but Safe
26th Sep 2006, 16:25
I had a mate in the early 90's that went for an interview for a 'transport' company that worked anytime/anywhere! They were after guys with C130 experience and payed tax free for 1month on, 1month off. ;)

If anyone knows what I'm on about, do they still exist and recruit?

PM me if you can't post an answer.

Thanks, FbS.

Fast but Safe
27th Sep 2006, 21:06
I have to post a reply myself to get this to page1, sorry!

FbS

SASless
27th Sep 2006, 21:13
NO! But do send your CV to Evergreen Aviation or Presidential Airways....both have similar connections amongst other aviation operators that are less well known.

Southern Air Transport (1947-1998)

The second Southern Air Transport, based in Miami, Florida, is best known as a front company for the Central Intelligence Agency. It was founded in 1947 and became a subsidiary of the CIA's airline proprietary network, the Pacific Corporation. SAT's Pacific Division supported the US war effort in Southeast Asia. Although the CIA was ordered to divest its airlines in 1976, SAT continued to support US covert activities in El Salvador, Nicaragua, Angola, and elsewhere. In 1986 Nicaragua shot down a SAT cargo plane and captured SAT employee Eugene Hasenfus, leading to the Iran-Contra affair.

The airline declined during the 1990s. In late 1998 it tried to merge with other aviation companies, but it filed for bankruptcy on October 1, the same day that the CIA released a report detailing allegations that it had been used for drug trafficking.

matkat
28th Sep 2006, 05:15
I used to work for the said airline They were a great airline to work for They do still exist but not in the form that They did prior to1998, they are a B747F operator now and no longer operate C130s