PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 medical

johnboy1
26th Sep 2006, 12:30
Hi,

I got a class 1 medical cert on 17/3/05 as I was planning to do the ATLP at Cabair at the time. I scrapped that plan and have just started my JAR PPL.

Is this Class 1 cert any use to me?

Thanks,

John

BlueRobin
26th Sep 2006, 12:59
IIRC your C1 will revert back to a C2 and continue until the expiry date had you originally been issued with a C2. Best phone the medical dept of the issuing state's aviation authority (IAA/CAA?) to confirm.

Mark 1
26th Sep 2006, 14:04
As BR says, the Class 1 is valid for Class 2 privileges and validity periods (it actually says that on the certificate).

It doesn't cost much more to renew a Class 1 against re-validating a Class 2 , so you may want to think about keeping it going in case you have second thoughts about a CPL.

I believe that you need to re-do the initial Class 1 if it hasn't been renewed for a certain time (10 years?).

IO540
26th Sep 2006, 17:06
An initial Class 1 could be worth a great deal, in certain bizzare future circumstances.

Grainger
26th Sep 2006, 17:20
Agree - keep it going.

You never know when you might need it, and would be a real bummer if you came back after a few years to find that your eyesight, for example, had drifted outside the initial requirements but was still inside the renewal ones.

Things deteriorate on us all as we get older :{ - in years to come keeping your medical going could be a lot easier than getting it back again.

IO540
26th Sep 2006, 19:29
We could have a philosophical debate regarding the Euro v. US approach to these things.

Over here, there is a strict initial medical, whose purpose is (presumably) to weed out as much dead wood (I am doing my best WW2 RAF-speak here; may need assistance) as possible. After that, it is a lot easier and in addition you can hang in there on the basis of demonstrated ability. But if you fail the initial, you are out, finished, and for ever not good enough. Even though you could do the renewal medical the very next day and pass that - but you are the same person :ugh: Silly isn't it. So you get weird things going on, like JAA ATPL candidates going to various JAA countries (not the UK, I dare say) to get their initial vision test done.

In the USA the Class 1 initial is the same as the renewal. Perfectly logical IMHO. Demonstrated ability available too.

Mark 1
26th Sep 2006, 20:08
But watch out if you leave the renewal too long.

From App.1 to JAR 3.105:

1 Class 1
[ ]
[(a)] If a licence holder allows his Medical Certificate to expire by more than five years, renewal
shall require an initial or extended, at AMS discretion, aeromedical examination, performed at an AMC
which has obtained his medical records. (EEG may be omitted unless clinically indicated.)
[(b)] If a licence holder allows his Medical Certificate to expire by more than two years but less
than five years, renewal shall require the prescribed standard or extended examination to be performed at
an AMC which has obtained his medical file, or by an AME at the discretion of the AMS, subject to the
records of medical examinations for flight crew licences being made available to the medical examiners.
[(c)] If a licence holder allows his certificate to expire by more than 90 days but less than two
years, renewal shall require the prescribed standard or extended examination to be performed at an AMC,
or by an AME at the discretion of the AMS.
[(d)] If a licence holder allows his certificate to expire by less than 90 days, renewal shall be
possible by standard or extended examination as prescribed.

johnboy1
27th Sep 2006, 12:39
Mark1

It would seem I come under "C" ie more than 90 days, but less than 2 years. What does the jargon mean? Is it possible to get it revalidated here in N. Ireland? What is the cost?

If I just want it to revert back to a Class 2 need I do anything?

Many thanks folks,

John

S-Works
27th Sep 2006, 16:39
Only if you let the medical lapse full stop, if you had a Class I initial then anytime going forward you want to renew it then its is a renewal with the appropriate parameters and more importantly it is not a £400 quid trip to Gatwick.

My AME is actually capable of a Class 1 & 2 renewals. The reason I dont renew the Class 1 is it is 6 monthly and the Class 2 is every 2 years. No point in renewing a medical I don't use. In November my medical is due, I will have it done as a Class 1 and then just let it lapse into a Class 2.

But watch out if you leave the renewal too long.
From App.1 to JAR 3.105:
1 Class 1
[ ]
[(a)] If a licence holder allows his Medical Certificate to expire by more than five years, renewal
shall require an initial or extended, at AMS discretion, aeromedical examination, performed at an AMC
which has obtained his medical records. (EEG may be omitted unless clinically indicated.)
[(b)] If a licence holder allows his Medical Certificate to expire by more than two years but less
than five years, renewal shall require the prescribed standard or extended examination to be performed at
an AMC which has obtained his medical file, or by an AME at the discretion of the AMS, subject to the
records of medical examinations for flight crew licences being made available to the medical examiners.
[(c)] If a licence holder allows his certificate to expire by more than 90 days but less than two
years, renewal shall require the prescribed standard or extended examination to be performed at an AMC,
or by an AME at the discretion of the AMS.
[(d)] If a licence holder allows his certificate to expire by less than 90 days, renewal shall be
possible by standard or extended examination as prescribed.

Mark 1
27th Sep 2006, 16:59
As far as I know, the CAA never invoke option (c).

Like Bose-x, I have previously let the medical revert to Class 2 after 6 months, and renewed it with an AME after 1 year, when my Class 2 privileges expired.

I understand it is now going to be 12 months Class 1 validity for under 60s, so it won't make any difference in future for me.